*QueerSecrets

+Lee

Can someone explain Tumblr to me? I keep hearing people talk about following one another on there, but I'm not sure what they're going on about. I'm familiar with WordPress and Twitter, but it doesn't look like either of those. :unsure:

asexual cake

Can someone explain Tumblr to me? I keep hearing people talk about following one another on there, but I'm not sure what they're going on about. I'm familiar with WordPress and Twitter, but it doesn't look like either of those. :unsure:

Tumblr! I am Tumblr King, and thus I will explain.

Tumblr is the place where Twitter meets Wordpress. People have independent blogs (called "tumblelogs"), which they can post independent things to (in the form of texts, quotes, pictures, videos, audio, and etc.), and which can then be "re-blogged" by other people, thus allowing for a variety of short posts to be shared across a number of independent "tumblelogs." The first page you see upon signing into Tumblr is your "dashboard" (often shortened to "dash"), which shows the posts (from most recent to least recent in an endless page) of those whom you "follow," meaning that you can click something which says "follow" on any page on that tumblelog and their posts will show up on your dash.

So let's say that I have a tumblelog, which someone else sees and thinks is beyond magnificent. That other person, upon seeing the glory of all that I post, decides to "follow" me, so that each new thing that I post will appear on their dash.

I do agree with much of what Psmith said, though. I have also noted that a lot of the people I have seen angry about the culture of the board recently have held fairly antisexual views, and I can't say that I have any interest in making AVEN more safe for antisexuality. Quite the opposite.

i'd just like to take this opportunity to make clear to all and sundry that i believe some people have been confusing me with a couple of other AVENites. Euonym, formerly Psmith the AVENite, is someone wholly different to me, as is Pamcakes, who happens to sign posts with a P. i am honoured to be associated with either of them, as they are both fine and upstanding individuals whom i admire immensely; nevertheless, for their continued respectability, i feel it important to clarify that i am not them. God help them were they to be held responsible for all the foolish things i say. off topic, i realize, but still, i'm glad to have the opportunity to clarify things.

(and i agree with you absolutely on all points, Sciatrix. this is nothing new.)

Oh... oh jeez, this is embarrassing. :redface: Does it help that I think of you as the P guy with the awesome hat? Sorry about that!

That person could be someone who came in with a chip on their shoulder and so on. Or given the thing they said about their boyfriend I wonder if they stumbled across a thread with a bunch of elitist on it or something.

As awesome as this place usually is, it is full of humans. And not all humans are nice - some of us are rather shitty people actually, or snobby and rude to those who disagree with them no matter what that disagreement is and so on.

So I don't want to say it's the posters fault or it's our fault, it could be either.

I do agree with much of what Psmith said, though. I have also noted that a lot of the people I have seen angry about the culture of the board recently have held fairly antisexual views, and I can't say that I have any interest in making AVEN more safe for antisexuality. Quite the opposite.

i'd just like to take this opportunity to make clear to all and sundry that i believe some people have been confusing me with a couple of other AVENites. Euonym, formerly Psmith the AVENite, is someone wholly different to me, as is Pamcakes, who happens to sign posts with a P. i am honoured to be associated with either of them, as they are both fine and upstanding individuals whom i admire immensely; nevertheless, for their continued respectability, i feel it important to clarify that i am not them. God help them were they to be held responsible for all the foolish things i say. off topic, i realize, but still, i'm glad to have the opportunity to clarify things.

(and i agree with you absolutely on all points, Sciatrix. this is nothing new.)

Oh... oh jeez, this is embarrassing. :redface: Does it help that I think of you as the P guy with the awesome hat? Sorry about that!

oh, no worries, Sciatrix; it wasn't specifically directed at you. evidently, somehow i have managed to become the most high-profile P here (probably because i am a shameless attention whore, whilst the other Ps are more modest and retiring). i simply wish to spare the others any guilt by association; plus, in Pamcakes' instance, she is a sexual ally, and although i respect her contributions more than i can say, i wouldn't want others to get the impression that i'm sexual myself. not that there's anything wrong with that, as they say, but simply because it would be a false impression, and that would be unfortunate for everyone involved.

Also, fix? Clustering around and talking about what a douche the person who posted that secret was? Not so much the best way to refute accusations of snobbery. Seriously.

I meant to imply they were probably a douche while they were here and we would have told them to eat some cake. Not for posting the secret.

tumblr_l6zdufM6QI1qcpj7wo1_500.png

So this just happened.

I find this secret bizarre. My mind is boggled.

From what I remember it was only one person who said anything remotely questionable to them.

(probably because i am a shameless attention whore, whilst the other Ps are more modest and retiring).

But of course. You did start up the whole asexy prostitution thing here after all... :lol:

@Ninny- Wait... On Aven or on queersecrets?

So this just happened.

That person came back and said something about how we attacked her boyfriend--I suspect this was a girl who posted about her abusive boyfriend and got a bunch of replies about how he was abusive and urged her to break up with him. :unsure: Not totally sure, but I suspect.

asexual cake

So this just happened.

That person came back and said something about how we attacked her boyfriend--I suspect this was a girl who posted about her abusive boyfriend and got a bunch of replies about how he was abusive and urged her to break up with him. :unsure: Not totally sure, but I suspect.

Could you point the curious towards that thread?

So this just happened.

Same. I am curious as to who it was so I may find out if I did anything myself to offend them, for future reference.

So this just happened.

Same. I am curious as to who it was so I may find out if I did anything myself to offend them, for future reference.

More info about the secret: http://chameleons.tumblr.com/post/939964690/reblog-aceness

The person admits to it, though they say they are not a girl, and I think I know what (I remember as being a woman) everyone is talking about with the abusive boyfriend.

So this just happened.

More info about the secret: http://chameleons.tumblr.com/post/939964690/reblog-aceness

The person admits to it, though they say they are not a girl, and I think I know what (I remember as being a woman) everyone is talking about with the abusive boyfriend.

Their attitude and self-description makes me think I know exactly who it is. XD Hahaha. Oh boy. I'm not going to mention their name or the thread for their privacy but rest assured that no one was actually rude to them. I don't think they're coming back even though they made nice for most of the thread. I haven't seen them around.

That didn't even occur to me - encounter with a bunch of elitists did. But that could well be the case and would make sense. Alas, I am therefor a snob.

Oooo maybe it wasn't who I was thinking it was then, because they were a girl...

xxtheoretically

tumblr_l70hd7banw1qcpj7wo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l70ffpqWE51qcpj7wo1_400.jpg

tumblr_l72k3bFr9Y1qcpj7wo1_500.jpg

On the "AVEN being snobby" front... I've been lurking a fair bit and I certainly haven't found you guys snobby =/

A little intimidating, admittedly, but I think that's more a personality thing for me when I'm not familiar with groups of people xD;

But... yeah. I guess I agree that it was a little passive-aggressive. And... well, as I've said, no one I've seen has been snobbish? And there's certainly be no rudeness.

[/awkward attempt at helping discussion] > >;

asexual cake

I have never met an asexual who was patronising and judgmental about the fact that they don't have sex and others do.

What now, secret maker?

I might work on an asexual positive secret later tonight but shhhh it's a secret. Got to balance it out with these bad eggs.

*edit*

tumblr_l75vzasPGO1qcpj7wo1_500.png

Man thats sad. *hugs secret poster*

I kinda feel like I should post a secret apologising for the jerks :( When we talk about asexual education, it can't just be "sexuals learning about asexuals". That's one of the things I like about AVEN, we've accepted some sexual allies into the forum and they try to explain how they feel. I still don't understand sexual attraction or sex as part of love from a personal viewpoint, but I would never attack someone for feeling what I don't (sure, I still have some hang-up about mad promiscuity and especially cheating, I can't understand that...) I'm better now than I was- before I realised about asexuality, I didn't know that people felt something I didn't and I saw them as crazy, out of control, odd creatures but now I know that the reason I couldn't fathom why they were like that was because they had a drive I didn't. Education works both ways, and I think whatever group you find anywhere, you'll always encounter some jerks.

What's gotten me, and it isn't an asexual secret but this one on.... gender fluidity it seems. And all the people who reblog with a comment seem to be a bit, well, snide about it. Somewhat like we're all being accused of behaving towards sexuals.

And yeah, I was thinking about sending one in being all confused, because I am, about all this stuff on how we're so snobbish and horrible or something. Cause I've ever gotten that, and any time I do see it it's a few elitists or people who've had a really really bad day and they're the minority and obviously so. I mean, you don't always like everyone but that isn't the same thing.

asexual cake

What's gotten me, and it isn't an asexual secret but this one on.... gender fluidity it seems. And all the people who reblog with a comment seem to be a bit, well, snide about it. Somewhat like we're all being accused of behaving towards sexuals.

Yes, I re-blogged that. I think I came across as being snide though that was certainly not my intention.

Yes, I re-blogged that. I think I came across as being snide though that was certainly not my intention.

You're asexualadolescence? Yeah, I haven't read that book (had to look up the terms) but I'm a fan of the Earthsea series by the same author. I don't know much about genderfluidity, not having been through it but I can sympathise with seeing some element of a fictional character and thinking it'd be great if you could have it too. Even if it's impossible. I wanted to be Data when I was a kid. Still think it'd be pretty awesome and make some things easier.

Though one person who reblogged seems to do so just so they can be mean and snarky to every person who ever posts a secret. Which seems to make them a giant prat.

asexual cake

You're asexualadolescence? Yeah, I haven't read that book (had to look up the terms) but I'm a fan of the Earthsea series by the same author. I don't know much about genderfluidity, not having been through it but I can sympathise with seeing some element of a fictional character and thinking it'd be great if you could have it too. Even if it's impossible. I wanted to be Data when I was a kid. Still think it'd be pretty awesome and make some things easier.

Though one person who reblogged seems to do so just so they can be mean and snarky to every person who ever posts a secret. Which seems to make them a giant prat.

I am the very same. Yeah, I mean, being a neutrois/transyada, I can easily sympathize with wanting to physically be a sex that ... doesn't quite exist, even if I'm not gender variant in the same way.

And, yeah, that person could be described with a number of profane and vulgar insults. Their comment was really not helpful at all, especially considering that there are people who just can't make up their damn minds because choosing one side or the other would be denying a central part of their gender/who they are.