Finally response to new scientist article

Damien Day

Hi everyone,

After griping that there has been no response to the New Scientist article I now find to my surprise a letter from a Lucy Martinez in New York in the current issue's Letters page. it's only one letter but it's a start. I wonder if she is a regular on this site by any chance?

Sherlock

Any chance of telling people in the backwoods who don't get the magazine what it says?

Damn, got caught out there. I'm an idle bastard and thought I could get away with not writing out the whole letter in full - I guess I figured most asexuals are stereotypical science geeks like me and would have read the letter already! OK, well here it is:-

Tyranny of Sex(New Scientist title of letter)

From Lucy Martinez

Asexuality in humans has long been overdue for objective discussion(16 October, p38). Sex, no matter the context, is culturally force-fed.Yet there are asexuals who know even as children that they are different, and meant to be.And no, it isn't an illness.It is a wellness, in fact: freedom from confusing, overbearing, life-limiting drives.

In trying to create social awareness of asexual people, David Jay is to be applauded for his courage in following his convictions rather than listening to(perhaps jealous , probably prejudiced and ignorant) others who say that having no sexual desire is abnormal, or that it indicates latent homosexuality, or that it is an evolutionary mistake.

Sex is not like breathing. It is not for everyone.

New York City, US.

Can't wait to read the next two issues. Wouldn't be surprised to find a few counter-letters from scientists denying the existence of asexuality etc.

I am pretty sure Lucy Martinez must be a member here, by the way, judging from the letter. It'd be nice to find out.

Lastly, this thread is a science thread(sort of) and science is a kind of philosophy/set of beliefs, so isn't this the right place for the thread?

Sherlock

Live R Perfect

Thanks for posting that Sherlock :) Keep an eye on that, won't you?

And about the 'wrong forum' thing... I guess I'm just being a 'category nazi police' as Fluffy might say :wink: . I was just thinking it was a mention of asexuality in the press and so a candidate for the World Watch. No biggy though :wink:

You're right of course Liver. this is the wrong category. I posted it here because I am mainly interested in the asexual rantings/politics/just for fun/ sections and had completely forgotten the existence of the other categories. Ah well, the damage is done, and, unlike others, I have no idea whatsoever how to transfer this thread to the World Watch section. Any help would be appreciated.

Will keep a lookout for other mentions/letters re asexuality.

Sherlock

quietbraggadocio
For example, studies in rats and gerbils done as early as the 1980s have demonstrated that up to 12% of the males in the population are not interested in females. Named “duds,” these animals are described as asexual in the literature.

Ha Ha, I'm a dud! :) lol

Archived