Homophobia correlated with Homosexual Arousal

Professor T. Pollution

Professor T. Pollution

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772014

"J Abnorm Psychol. 1996 Aug;105(3):440-5.

Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal?

Adams HE, Wright LW Jr, Lohr BA.

Department of Psychology, University of Georgia, Athens 30602-3013, USA.

Abstract

The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies."

Ha! Science caught up with the common suspicion that homophobes are often repressed homosexuals, and supports the popular opinion. I don't know if the actual details of the study are available, but it would be quite fascinating to read.

If only showing this type of study to extreme homophobes could make a difference...unfortunately, in my experience, most extreme homophobes are distinctly unlikely to believe anything scientific. Still, it's a promising study, eh?

50 Cent Piece

Neat!

And on a stupid note, since it is late an all, "changes in penile circumference were monitored" made me laugh way more than it should have.

Hehe... wouldn't surprise me.

Makes me think of "American Beauty"...

Professor T. Pollution

Yeah, I definitely got some American Beauty vibes too.

Anyway, it seems like basically a shame response...

Professor T. Pollution

Also, soes anyone else find it slightly galling that they say "heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian?"

not in the least surprised at these findings

I believe I've heard of a study like that using brain scans, as well, although just now when I looked for the article I couldn't find it. But the results were the same, anyway.

This is slightly off topic but I was reminded of this joke:

"How many homophobes does it take to change a lightbulb?"

"None, they believe lightbulbs should remain in the closet where they belong."

P is for...

my first thought was, how on earth did they convince the homophobes to take part in that study in the first place?...

my first thought was, how on earth did they convince the homophobes to take part in that study in the first place?...

I know right?!

Lord Dandylion

That's exactly what I thought o.O

Then I kept reading and was like... 'that makes sense....................... no wait, no it doesn't. I'm just tired'

Because laughing at homophobes is fun, I bring you: Top 10 Anti-Gay Activists Caught Being Gay!

http://nuffy.net/articles/top-10-anti-gay-activists-caught-being-gay.html

ah but they left out John Atherton who was hung in 1640 for "buggery" which was a law that he strongly lobbied for.

asexual cake

Money?

Subjects usually get paid to participate in studies. Several of the people in my lab have reported using almost constant participation in studies as having funded some of their more frivolous pursuits in undergraduate school (and some not so frivolous ones, like food).

Professor T. Pollution

Of course correlation isn't the same as causation, and I don't think anyone said it was. It's obviously much more complicated than that. The article itself carefully avoids making any claims about causation, as it should. If we're going to pick on the study, pick something that's grounded in the article's scope: for example, sampling bias and sample size. P brought up the question of how they got homophobic volunteers (yes, probably money. perhaps the homophobes wanted to prove they weren't homosexuals, hehe (whoopsie daisy, that plan backfired)), which is a valid and noteworthy question. It could easily prove to be a form of bias, skewing the results significantly. The sample size is puny, too.

Still, I think if repeated with larger numbers, the results would likely be the same.

The other thing that could make some difficulty for the investigaton is the fact that a lot of men get erections when they are in uncomfortable situations in general, such as public speaking.

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8772014

"J Abnorm Psychol. 1996 Aug;105(3):440-5.

Is homophobia associated with homosexual arousal?

Adams HE, Wright LW Jr, Lohr BA.

Department of Psychology, University of Georgia, Athens 30602-3013, USA.

Abstract

The authors investigated the role of homosexual arousal in exclusively heterosexual men who admitted negative affect toward homosexual individuals. Participants consisted of a group of homophobic men (n = 35) and a group of nonhomophobic men (n = 29); they were assigned to groups on the basis of their scores on the Index of Homophobia (W. W. Hudson & W. A. Ricketts, 1980). The men were exposed to sexually explicit erotic stimuli consisting of heterosexual, male homosexual, and lesbian videotapes, and changes in penile circumference were monitored. They also completed an Aggression Questionnaire (A. H. Buss & M. Perry, 1992). Both groups exhibited increases in penile circumference to the heterosexual and female homosexual videos. Only the homophobic men showed an increase in penile erection to male homosexual stimuli. The groups did not differ in aggression. Homophobia is apparently associated with homosexual arousal that the homophobic individual is either unaware of or denies."

Ha! Science caught up with the common suspicion that homophobes are often repressed homosexuals, and supports the popular opinion. I don't know if the actual details of the study are available, but it would be quite fascinating to read.

If only showing this type of study to extreme homophobes could make a difference...unfortunately, in my experience, most extreme homophobes are distinctly unlikely to believe anything scientific. Still, it's a promising study, eh?

Actually, I am not surprised by this at all. My father was a closeted homosexual -- and an extreme homophobe -- who divorced my mother so he could live out his sick fantasies. He ruined my adolescence by sexually harrassing me endlessly. No wonder I tend to dislike homosexuals!

Sparker, don't refer to homosexuality as 'sick fantasies'. We have a number of gay members, and such comments could be considered an insult, which violates the ToS.

Sparker, don't refer to homosexuality as 'sick fantasies'. We have a number of gay members, and such comments could be considered an insult, which violates the ToS.

Oh, I see... Considering the situation my homosexual father left us in (traumatized, financially helpless, etc.), I'll just quote Adam Smith: "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent." By the way, Mr. Moderator, since you're blaming the victim: Why the devil do you have homosexual (i.e., sexual) members at all? Is this a website for everyone to gang up on heterosexuals and feel all excluded and victimized and neo-Marxist and support Obongo, or is it a website for real, live ASEXUALS, as you should probably stop claiming by the looks of it? I recommended the asexual lesbian network to a sexually active lesbian (Emily1986, the thread is called "Just Ruined"), who got upset and said "I don't know if I'm asexual". Well, I do: She's not!

Why is this an LGBT website, instead of an *ASEXUAL* website? I don't frequent homosexual bars, and there's a reason for it: I'm ASEXUAL!!!! why don't you start cleaning up this website by purging sexual members instead of politically incorrect members? I know you're going to purge me, and I don't give a hoot. You're probably a homosexual yourself.

Oh, I see... Considering the situation my homosexual father left us in (traumatized, financially helpless, etc.), I'll just quote Adam Smith: "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent." By the way, Mr. Moderator, since you're blaming the victim: Why the devil do you have homosexual (i.e., sexual) members at all? Is this a website for everyone to gang up on heterosexuals and feel all excluded and victimized and neo-Marxist and support Obongo, or is it a website for real, live ASEXUALS, as you should probably stop claiming by the looks of it? I recommended the asexual lesbian network to a sexually active lesbian (Emily1986, the thread is called "Just Ruined"), who got upset and said "I don't know if I'm asexual". Well, I do: She's not!. Why is this an LGBTQXYZLMNOP website, instead of an *ASEXUAL* website? I don't frequent gay bars, and there's a reason for it: I'm ASEXUAL!!!! why don't you start cleaning up this website by purging sexual members instead of politically incorrect members? I know you're going to purge me, and I don't give a hoot. You're probably a homosexual yourself.

Yes yes, you're the politically incorrect hero, about to be martyred.

How very droll.

Oh, I see... Considering the situation my homosexual father left us in (traumatized, financially helpless, etc.), I'll just quote Adam Smith: "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent." By the way, Mr. Moderator, since you're blaming the victim: Why the devil do you have homosexual (i.e., sexual) members at all? Is this a website for everyone to gang up on heterosexuals and feel all excluded and victimized and neo-Marxist and support Obongo, or is it a website for real, live ASEXUALS, as you should probably stop claiming by the looks of it? I recommended the asexual lesbian network to a sexually active lesbian (Emily1986, the thread is called "Just Ruined"), who got upset and said "I don't know if I'm asexual". Well, I do: She's not!

Why is this an LGBT website, instead of an *ASEXUAL* website? I don't frequent homosexual bars, and there's a reason for it: I'm ASEXUAL!!!! why don't you start cleaning up this website by purging sexual members instead of politically incorrect members? I know you're going to purge me, and I don't give a hoot. You're probably a homosexual yourself.

Uhm, first of all, there's no rule against sexual people joining this site. We even have a forum just for "sexual partners, friends and allies". Some of those partners, friends and allies are gay, and they're as welcome here as anyone else who keeps to AVEN's rules. Secondly, many of our asexual members are gay. They are asexual and homoromantic, i.e. romantically attracted to the same sex (just like we have heteroromantic asexuals who are romantically attracted to the opposite sex, etc.)

I don't know what the situation with your father was, but I think you need to realise that your father is not representative of all gay people. How is asking you to refrain from insulting an entire, diverse group of people based on the actions of one man "blaming the victim"? Condemn your father all you want, just don't paint everyone else who shares one trait with him with the same brush.

I don't know where neo-Marxism and support for Obama come into it.

(On the actual topic: I have very fond memories of this experiment, partly because I did Psychology, and there was a section on different psychological theories which required you, to get full marks, to refer to actual experiments in your discussions of the theories and say how those experiments supported or undermined the theory. Adams 1996 was, for various reasons related mostly to the hoops we had to jump through to get marks, one of the best ones to memorise for that portion of the exam, so much so that it got referred to in almost every practice test and it's the only one I remember all these years later.

I know this won't change anything, but I just want to offer my perspective.

I'm not easily offended, but you, sparker, managed to offend me. It's not because I'm a homoromantic ace — it's because I have many wonderful homosexual-identified, who are incredibly important to me, who have helped shape my personality and world view and without whom I honestly have no idea what I would do in certain moments of my life. They are amazing people and fantastic friends. It offends me like you wouldn't believe that just because of their sexuality they're wicked or rotten or whatever it is you're suggesting — I know for a fact they're not. I'm sorry for your experiences with your father, but they do not give you the right to judge an entire subgroup of humanity as immoral.

Don't bother replying to this; I'm not trying to start an argument, just to show you that your statements are hurting more people than you realise.

Sparker didin't manage to offend me. He clearly has a phobia, one bad enough to likely interfere with his life at some point. That is reason to be pitied, not hated. Just wait until he meets a gay man he can't simply mouth off to or run away from - like a boss for example. Or, finds out that a friend he's had for a long time is gay. He will bloody well fall apart, poor guy.

Oh, I see... Considering the situation my homosexual father left us in (traumatized, financially helpless, etc.), I'll just quote Adam Smith: "Mercy to the guilty is cruelty to the innocent."

Mercy is the better part of salvation. Apart from mercy, no one is safe. This is not just a Christian view, but a civilized view of conduct.

By the way, Mr. Moderator, since you're blaming the victim: Why the devil do you have homosexual (i.e., sexual) members at all? Is this a website for everyone to gang up on heterosexuals and feel all excluded and victimized and neo-Marxist and support Obongo, or is it a website for real, live ASEXUALS, as you should probably stop claiming by the looks of it?

It is perfectly possible to be asexual and romantically attracted to the same sex.

It is possible to see one's self in a same sex relationship as an asexual.

I recommended the asexual lesbian network to a sexually active lesbian (Emily1986, the thread is called "Just Ruined"), who got upset and said "I don't know if I'm asexual". Well, I do: She's not!

Whose business is that? Certainly not yours.

And I doubt that you are anything more than an asexually-identified garden-variety prude.

Uhm, first of all, there's no rule against sexual people joining this site. We even have a forum just for "sexual partners, friends and allies". Some of those partners, friends and allies are gay, and they're as welcome here as anyone else who keeps to AVEN's rules. Secondly, many of our asexual members are gay. They are asexual and homoromantic, i.e. romantically attracted to the same sex (just like we have heteroromantic asexuals who are romantically attracted to the opposite sex, etc.)

I don't know what the situation with your father was, but I think you need to realise that your father is not representative of all gay people. How is asking you to refrain from insulting an entire, diverse group of people based on the actions of one man "blaming the victim"? Condemn your father all you want, just don't paint everyone else who shares one trait with him with the same brush.

(On the actual topic: I have very fond memories of this experiment, partly because I did Psychology, and there was a section on different psychological theories which required you, to get full marks, to refer to actual experiments in your discussions of the theories and say how those experiments supported or undermined the theory. Adams 1996 was, for various reasons related mostly to the hoops we had to jump through to get marks, one of the best ones to memorise for that portion of the exam, so much so that it got referred to in almost every practice test and it's the only one I remember all these years later.

It is impossible to be both asexual and "gay" (i.e., a faggot). And my father was obsessed with interracial sodomy and the castration of young boys, if that makes any difference to you. I think the majority if homosexuals are perverts, hence the high rates of drug abuse, promiscuity, S&M, and cross-dressing amongst LGBT. If you don't like it, i'll just go back to Stormfront, where my views are welcome.

And by the way, the issue is that sexuals are posting OUTSIDE the "friends and allies" section! Why? This has turned into a God damned LGBT drag show.

Archived