TransWhatevers of AVEN

A Long Time Ago

Welcome to the yadas Antihero :cake:, though being a yada isn't a requirement to join (I think?).

I was trying to find a good "7 of 9" image (female character from Star Trek Voyager that is part Borg after being mostly unborgified) to use as an avatar here on AVEN and I was shocked to find that evidently everyone out there thinks the character is hot and provocative. While I am grey-A and used to be more sexual, I never noticed this. Evidently I am hotblind when it comes to TV series and movies.

I know very well what you mean about the fawning proclamations of Seven's hotness. My roommates and I have been watching the entire series over from the beginning, and we just arrived at Season 4 about a week ago. If I hear shrieks of "OMG SPACE BOOBS" one more time, I may have to request a moratorium on commentary in totum.

I understand sort of rationally what they're seeing as "hot." It just seems so blatant an idealized beauty I can't imagine why anyone finds it interesting, or feels compelled to make note of it.

You might consider a pre-unBorgified version of Seven, after she's been liberated from the collective. Her vitriol and ambivalence are superb in those scenes, I've always found. Something like this, maybe:

Voyager-Time-Capsule-Seven-of-Nine-seven-of-nine-16862303-692-530.jpg

I find that more visually compelling than any of her thousand post-humanization looks, anyway.

Oops, belated response, that.

Welcome aboard, Antihero. Wondered when you'd show up :)

Well, I'm still not sure what I identify as, so I assumed posting here would be a no-no. :rolleyes: May I offer a cup of chai? ;)

By the way, is it possible to be demi-neutrois? Weird, I know...but is there a more accurate term to descibe one who seeks to have some physical characteristics, but not all? I'm working on how I should describe myself...it's becoming very, very elaborate. :lol:

*Edit

Or demi-agendered? Ok, this doesn't even make sense. :lol:

THESE TERMS ARE CONFUSING!

A Long Time Ago

I was trying to find a good "7 of 9" image (female character from Star Trek Voyager that is part Borg after being mostly unborgified) to use as an avatar here on AVEN and I was shocked to find that evidently everyone out there thinks the character is hot and provocative. While I am grey-A and used to be more sexual, I never noticed this. Evidently I am hotblind when it comes to TV series and movies. Due to the association, I am not entirely sure I want to use a 7 of 9 image (I only want the face and facial borg implants) for my avatar anymore even though I am similar to the character in many ways (I am somewhat machinelike, often too rational/logical for my own good, socially oblivious, not emotional compared to most people, feel somewhat alien amongst people, etc.). :(

my cousin was/is a big Voyager fan, and 7 of 9 is her absolute favourite character. my cousin is sexual, and her interest in 7 of 9 has nothing to do with any hotness or what have you, just a personal identification with the character at some level. (i don't know in exactly what way; we really haven't talked about it. i prefer Next Generation myself--my favourite episode being "Darmok", to the point that i would freak out a bit whenever it came on in syndication.) so, while i'm sure there are sexuals out there who mostly like the character for the hotness factor, there are others who appreciate the character in spite of that. i wouldn't worry about the ramifications of using the avatar. especially not here (or elsewhere--heh).

I tend to worry too much. Thanks for relieving some of my concern.

7 of 9 just fits me better than almost anybody else in Star Trek (one of my favorite collection of series) or any other TV series other than maybe Data (OtherBotty has Data down, but that gave me the idea of 7 of 9). I would have said that 7 of 9 and Data weren't close rankings a while back but recent understandings put 7 of 9 at the top and Data second. In a sense, I can relate to being assimilated and then not being able to be completely unborgified. This is similar to what I feel about many aspects of myself since there was what I was when I was younger, then who I was was put down (in my case, I was such a good mental reprogrammer that I reprogrammed myself to fit the flawed mask I created not too badly to be more like the other boys), and now I have tried to shed the mask and undo the reprogramming but I will never be rid of all of it just as 7 of 9 cannot return to being completely human.

Note, the computer terminology, while useful, isn't entirely accurate. A more accurate phrasing would be self-brainwashing but that doesn't sound very good in writing. I unfortunately have the gift/curse of being able to do that to a limited extent (my former self was never completely deletable and it definitely tried to slip out any holes in the reprogramming the whole time) and I had the stupidity to actually use it (well, reprogramming myself to be an extrovert from an introvert was probably not stupid and thus is an exception to this). The one upside of it that I have used wisely is that I can use a more temporary reprogramming (for example, I can keep secrets from myself for a desired period of time) to be very good at playing a part temporarily. For example, I can fool people into thinking I am a high schooler all the way to being a late graduate student (I am helped by the fact that my appearance is age ambiguous) by temporarily convincing myself that I am, which then makes me behave properly without any conscious thought which might make mistakes or suspicious pauses. Also helped with my performing art.

Oh and in case you were wondering, gender stuff is one of the aspects I was talking about, among many many others.

Omg Basil... You look amazing.

And also omg mort paradis.

Let's put this style in the official yada hair styling guide. :lol:

So the hivemind is where I got the idea for my future haircut. It's been too long since last time and my hair's a bit overgrown so I've decided to keep the top a bit longer but have the sides cut really short like they have been for a while now. And dye the top even brighter red than last time. *waits anxiously for Friday*

Hivemind. That's exactly what I'd do with mine if a) anyone where I live understood how to cut it properly and b) I actually got round to dyeing it again...

A Long Time Ago

Well, I'm still not sure what I identify as, so I assumed posting here would be a no-no.

Definitely not a no-no. I can say that you would be welcome even if you were cis-gendered, in which case your type of trans would be transtrans (think of it as a double negative :lol:).

By the way, is it possible to be demi-neutrois? Weird, I know...but is there a more accurate term to descibe one who seeks to have some physical characteristics, but not all? I'm working on how I should describe myself...it's becoming very, very elaborate. :lol:

*Edit

I understand what you are getting at. There is definitely a lack of terms for this, so I guess terms have to be made up. Demi-neutrois is a good one because it is descriptive. Depending on what you mean by demi-agendered, it might already be contained by transmasculine or transfeminine, but it could be something entirely different.

About wanting "some physical characteristics but not all", I can relate a bit so you are not alone. I don't really like many of the physical characteristics that make me male (genitals, body hair especially on the face) and if they went away, I wouldn't shed a tear, though I am not compelled to get rid of them and hope that I don't become compelled to in the future because it would be expensive if I went for neutrosis and I would totally suck at being transexual due to my social ineptitudes if I went down the transition and surgery route to female. But there are a few characteristics that I like about being male such as the added size from growing up on testosterone (though I am beginning to dislike it, so my like of size may not last for long) and the easier time building up muscular strength (though not such a big male thing as the women in my family are quite muscular).

I understand sort of rationally what they're seeing as "hot." It just seems so blatant an idealized beauty I can't imagine why anyone finds it interesting, or feels compelled to make note of it.

Definitely agree.

You might consider a pre-unBorgified version of Seven, after she's been liberated from the collective. Her vitriol and ambivalence are superb in those scenes, I've always found. Something like this, maybe:

Voyager-Time-Capsule-Seven-of-Nine-seven-of-nine-16862303-692-530.jpg

I find that more visually compelling than any of her thousand post-humanization looks, anyway.

I haven't seen any of the Voyager episodes prior to where she was unborgified (they are not popular on TV, probably because of the hot thing), so I think I will try to find some to watch. I like this picture, though the unborgified 7 is a slightly better fit for me (see previous post) based on the information I have now. That might change when I see those episodes. Luckily, I was able to find a picture that doesn't show too much of her body, catches both borg implants on her face, and has her with her very analyzing look.

Edited by Am I Human

Well, I'm still not sure what I identify as, so I assumed posting here would be a no-no.

Quite on the contrary, that's how nearly all of us ended up here!

No, yeah, posting here sort of automatically makes one a Yada, as do many other things. It's ridonculously easy to become a Yada, really.

AND I'LL BET EVERYONE CAN GUESS WHICH SITE IS DOWN RIGHT NOW.

A Long Time Ago

Based on the number of people on the tread, I bet it is the yadaforums.

Herr Joseph von Löthing

Sorry guys, I'm complaining to the hosting company about it. Since they guaranteed 99.9% uptime and we're not getting it, we might get it fixed or something free.

BOTH THE YADAFORUM AND TUMBLR ARE DOWN HOW AM I GOING TO PROCRASTINATE YOU GUYS.

By reading, clearly, but you get the point.

And I was planning on talking about this on the Yadaforum, but since that is rather clearly down I will talk about it here.

There needs to be gender-neutral titles. Like sir or ma'am/madam, just gender neutral. Because I actually really like both of those, and being called them (though I don't actually because I'm rarely around people younger than me), I have started getting some dysphoria just thinking about it because there's really no way I'm going to be called sir, my body is just too clearly female. And while I do like ma'am/madam, sir is just a lot better but I have big breasts and a tiny waist, so. :/

Or are there some and I just don't know about it?

What sort of contract is it with the hosting company - is it the kind we can break if they haven't fulfilled their uptime commitment? (I know other companies would be more expensive but some of us still haven't had a chance to chip in who volunteered to...)

Herr Joseph von Löthing

We're on a two year contract, although it was stupidly cheap, $60 odd as a one-off for two years. We might be able to break it if we need to, but I'd rather not go through the hassle.

Complaints should work though, if they mis-sold us they'll have to do something.

actually it's tumblr

and the forums, but mostly tumblr

WAAAH!! And I had my bitching thread post all written out...

There needs to be gender-neutral titles. Like sir or ma'am/madam, just gender neutral. Because I actually really like both of those, and being called them (though I don't actually because I'm rarely around people younger than me), I have started getting some dysphoria just thinking about it because there's really no way I'm going to be called sir, my body is just too clearly female. And while I do like ma'am/madam, sir is just a lot better but I have big breasts and a tiny waist, so. :/

Or are there some and I just don't know about it?

I usually request to be addressed as "Doctor" if someone must give me an honorific, since it is an aspiration. "Reverend" is also choice. Nothing else I know of, though.

Unsung Tale, we've been using "My good Yada" in place of sir/ma'am.

Yeah, but I've been thinking like, in general. Not with yadas. :/

Oh, it will spread, my friend. It will spread.

Oh, it will spread, my friend. It will spread.

Haha, that would be pretty awesome.

"Reverend" is also choice. Nothing else I know of, though.

"Reverend" is my honorific of choice. and i mean to wear this:

cassock3970.jpg

when i showed it to Serafine, she told me i am not allowed to become an Anglican minister just so i can wear a mandress to work. i am digging in my heels.

*Edit

I understand what you are getting at. There is definitely a lack of terms for this, so I guess terms have to be made up. Demi-neutrois is a good one because it is descriptive. Depending on what you mean by demi-agendered, it might already be contained by transmasculine or transfeminine, but it could be something entirely different.

About wanting "some physical characteristics but not all", I can relate a bit so you are not alone. I don't really like many of the physical characteristics that make me male (genitals, body hair especially on the face) and if they went away, I wouldn't shed a tear, though I am not compelled to get rid of them and hope that I don't become compelled to in the future because it would be expensive if I went for neutrosis and I would totally suck at being transexual due to my social ineptitudes if I went down the transition and surgery route to female. But there are a few characteristics that I like about being male such as the added size from growing up on testosterone (though I am beginning to dislike it, so my like of size may not last for long) and the easier time building up muscular strength (though not such a big male thing as the women in my family are quite muscular).

Yes...I don't want any genitals at all and am dysphoric toward them. I have considered surgery but I'm not sure if I truly want to have it done, because I don't know if I care enough to have them removed. And anyway, I usually forget they're there, except for during a certain time of the month *(pukes)*, and I don't like knowing that I have them.

I like some of my female physical characteristics, but I wish I had some male characteristics. Yet these are so few that I'm not really sure they much matter, and that I simply wish to look in-between genders, with no obviously defining characteristics at all.

At the same time, my personality is masculine and feminine at the same time. I feel masculine and feminine at the same time, yet these aren't taken to an extreme. I am simply...a bit too masculine and a bit too feminine to be considered agender. In fact, I am mentally more masculine than I am feminine, yet there is still that femininity that destroys the possibility of trans-masculine...

Maybe I should begin descibing myself as a demigender trans-masculine genderqueer androgyne. :P

"Reverend" is my honorific of choice. and i mean to wear this:

cassock3970.jpg

when i showed it to Serafine, she told me i am not allowed to become an Anglican minister just so i can wear a mandress to work. i am digging in my heels.

*melts* The monk's habit is top of about five compelling reasons I can find for becoming a monastic. They're just so SLEEK and STRIKING and ANGLOPHILIC.

Do lay readers always get to wear ecclesiastical dress? You could be one of those without having to interpellate her as The Vicar's Wife. My dad used to be one and I'm pretty sure he wore vestments for it, although no dog collar IIRC...