TransWhatevers of AVEN

Herr Joseph von Löthing

I don't think anything has happened, has it? :unsure:

There's always something going on in yadaland.

Professor T. Pollution

And if it looks like nothing's going on, it's just because there's shady action going on invisibly under the surface of the thread.

I've just got back from an evening at the theatre with our staff LGBT group. Unfortunately, it was a Woody Allen double bill, the first part of which made so much light of mental illness that one member decided to go home, and the second part of which was a sex farce, meaning that I spent most of the time alternating between not understanding and wondering what I was getting from this that I couldn't get from the Mr. Plow episode of The Simpsons. I'd seriously have been much better off staying on here.

First, put me down as another fan and a completist. I've read all of them, including the Tiffany Aching books (well, apparently there's a fourth now, and I've yet to get my hands on it, but...) but excluding the supplementary, non-narrative books (though including the various illustrated ones, like the picture book with animals and The Last Hero). I started Black Friday of my eighth grade year after purchasing Maskerade in Walden Books, and I finally made it through all of them sometime last semester.

My favourites are those with Death/Death's extended family, as I love both the reaper himself and Susan, as well as anything with the witches due to my intense love of Granny Weatherwax because she is a bamf of the highest order, though I've yet to see the appeal in most of the Night Watch books. I put them off until I had already read (and re-read, in some cases) the rest of them.

Apart from the brilliant set-piece at the start of Guards! Guards!, the Night Watch might be a slow burn. By the time you get up to things like Thud! they've moved away from an extended Fritz Lieber parody and into asking questions like 'What do we mean by political legitimacy?', which makes the Historian Cat in me go purrpurrpurr.

Granny Weatherwax is a bamf of the highest order.

And there is a fourth Tiffany Aching. Getting to read that over the weekend was obviously the other karmic reward for going up to see my sister. It's very good, although you might want to refresh your mind in re: the history of boffo.

Just been looking back over some CCTV footage, anyone remember when this happened? Must have been during one of those quite spells.

EDIT: 1:40 shit gets real.

Demacrux (emi star...)

Aw mans..I'm tottally late to the party..ah such as my existence.how is everyone? and congrats on reaching the 300+ point..I'm proud...and embarrassed I suppose..I really don't know how I feel about the whole thing really.

Just been looking back over some CCTV footage, anyone remember when this happened? Must have been during one of those quite spells.

see, now that kind of thing can give me nightmares the way Salad Fingers never, ever could. reminds me a bit of the Sea of Monsters segment in Yellow Submarine. i always found that profoundly disturbing as a kid.

asexual cake

Random thought - some day I want to teach a class on recreational neuroscience.

One day I want to take a class on recreational neuroscience.

Demacrux (emi star...)

that does sound quite interesting.

Professor Godric

that does sound quite interesting.

I'll have to further my own studies quite a bit, but I've been reading on various weird tricks one can do with one's brain. It would be fabulous experimental course material.

Sometimes this very thread already feels like a class on recreational neuroscience.

Professor Godric

Sometimes this very thread already feels like a class on recreational neuroscience.

That is so very true.

Demacrux (emi star...)

I know what you mean.. <_<

Lord Dandylion

I'm too lazy to keep up with the thread ever since we got to have so many pages per day. I know, bad yada.

I make up for it by... umm... I have no idea. I just do.

And the neuroscience stuff sounds so cool :3

I'm taking psychology right now, which obviously tends to cross over, and I love it to death. The subject, not so much the work I have to do for it, heh.

Professor Godric

And the neuroscience stuff sounds so cool :3

I'm taking psychology right now, which obviously tends to cross over, and I love it to death. The subject, not so much the work I have to do for it, heh.

Psychology is great. I prefer to look at it from the perspective of cognitive science, though. Psychology is very input/output based. I want to figure out how thinking happens.

mort paradis

First, put me down as another fan and a completist. I've read all of them, including the Tiffany Aching books (well, apparently there's a fourth now, and I've yet to get my hands on it, but...) but excluding the supplementary, non-narrative books (though including the various illustrated ones, like the picture book with animals and The Last Hero). I started Black Friday of my eighth grade year after purchasing Maskerade in Walden Books, and I finally made it through all of them sometime last semester.

The Last Hero is the only one I've read. However, my parents are big fans, and have most of the books, and I do enjoy hearing about Discworld, and have heard quite a bit :lol:. If I ever did read the books I would probably enjoy them.

Professor Godric

I've never read the Tiffany Aching ones. Actually, I don't know that I've even read most of them. He's my current favourite very contemporary author besides Tom Holt, Christopher Moore, and Douglas Adams, but I don't have a ton of time to read right now. Well, I do a lot of reading, but it's all coursework and supplements. Rrarg. I wants me some British humour.

I've never read the Tiffany Aching ones. Actually, I don't know that I've even read most of them. He's my current favourite very contemporary author besides Tom Holt, Christopher Moore, and Douglas Adams, but I don't have a ton of time to read right now. Well, I do a lot of reading, but it's all coursework and supplements. Rrarg. I wants me some British humour.

I say again: KJ Parker. (There's even a theory that sie may be Tom Holt.)

Professor Godric

I must go investigate this person.

I've just got back from an evening at the theatre with our staff LGBT group. Unfortunately, it was a Woody Allen double bill, the first part of which made so much light of mental illness that one member decided to go home, and the second part of which was a sex farce, meaning that I spent most of the time alternating between not understanding and wondering what I was getting from this that I couldn't get from the Mr. Plow episode of The Simpsons. I'd seriously have been much better off staying on here.

My favourites are those with Death/Death's extended family, as I love both the reaper himself and Susan, as well as anything with the witches due to my intense love of Granny Weatherwax because she is a bamf of the highest order, though I've yet to see the appeal in most of the Night Watch books. I put them off until I had already read (and re-read, in some cases) the rest of them.

Apart from the brilliant set-piece at the start of Guards! Guards!, the Night Watch might be a slow burn. By the time you get up to things like Thud! they've moved away from an extended Fritz Lieber parody and into asking questions like 'What do we mean by political legitimacy?', which makes the Historian Cat in me go purrpurrpurr.

Granny Weatherwax is a bamf of the highest order.

And there is a fourth Tiffany Aching. Getting to read that over the weekend was obviously the other karmic reward for going up to see my sister. It's very good, although you might want to refresh your mind in re: the history of boffo.

For the record, I have always disliked Woody Allen. It's one of the few things about which my mother and I disagree, at least where taste is concerned.

I'm rather fond of the night watch, though I've never read the first one. But Feet of Clay is fun, as is the one about the gonne, whose name I have forgotten. (It's the first one with Angua.)

EDIT: 1:40 shit gets real.

see, now that kind of thing can give me nightmares the way Salad Fingers never, ever could. reminds me a bit of the Sea of Monsters segment in Yellow Submarine. i always found that profoundly disturbing as a kid.

P, those were my thoughts exactly. Only I loved that bit. Honestly, Yellow Submarine is probably one of my favorite films of all time. (Actually, out of the four or so films I count among my favorite of all time, two of them are Beatles films, for all that my youthful obsession with them has cooled somewhat.)

I must go investigate this person.

I started with the Engineer Trilogy then went on to hir previous trilogies and the stand-alones. If it is Holt, it's Holt's dark side coming out. But that needed to happen.

I'm rather fond of the night watch, though I've never read the first one. But Feet of Clay is fun, as is the one about the gonne, whose name I have forgotten. (It's the first one with Angua.)

Is it Men at Arms? The one that was full of the Assassins, anyway.

Demacrux (emi star...)

-totally not a part of the conversation and is instead reading Rooster Tails..it's goood-

Is it Men at Arms? The one that was full of the Assassins, anyway.

Indeed it is. (Nami's brain is dead today. As this is only Tuesday, this does not bode well for the rest of the week. -sigh-)