TransWhatevers of AVEN

Strange? Nothing is strange for us transyadas! Except our own gender identity, it would appear. The more I think about mine, the less I'm certain what I should identify us... but I also care less and less because I know that in the end I'm only going to identify as me.

Lord Dandylion

Strange? Nothing is strange for us transyadas! Except our own gender identity, it would appear. The more I think about mine, the less I'm certain what I should identify us... but I also care less and less because I know that in the end I'm only going to identify as me.

That's the spirit! :D I'm kind of the same right now.

I like 'They'. It's easy. But if I had to choose, 'he' would probably be more accurate than 'she'.

What is up with this seriousness? Not that I mind, but whoa...moodswing.

And I like "she", I like "miss" and so on, which is a bit strange, I know... :blush:

Poppy x

It's not Strange!!! It might be weird if I called you miss and then your male name, but Miss Poppy sounds so nice! But don't worry, I won't abbreviate to MP - that has bad connotations of it's own if you live in the UK :P.
What is up with this seriousness? Not that I mind, but whoa...moodswing.[/color]
I'm sorry! Blame me.

Would you like a hilarious image of me dancing round to Scouting for Girls' James Bond? Is that silly enough tomfoolery for you? ;)

H xx

Lord Dandylion

You want some non-serious stuff now? Okay, here goes:

When I was 12, a friend and I took some pictures of Japanese rock stars (all men but it was difficult to tell) and went around pretending we were doing a survey, asking guys which was hotter just to see if they could tell that they were chosing between different men. Also this is Texas, you can't expect that any of the guys you come up to are going to be gay. Not one of them suspected they were men and gave us answers.

I was a warped little child.

• Like 1
I hope you don't mind, I am going to steal this as my new post signature.

In other news last night, I had an AWESOME chat with Poppy last night about all things make up & glitter! It was tremendously awesome. I am now waiting for ze to e-mail me the BarryM catalogue so I can ogle all the fantastic shiny-ness!

By the way, Poppy, what pronouns do you want used? I figured I'd go gender-neutral for now as I didn't know.

H xx

I think that while I'm in the realm of the transyadas, I might try out "she" for a while.

I don't really go for all the ze, hir and stuff - apart from them sending my spelling checker haywire, they're a lot of effort and don't really express much to me.

And I like "she", I like "miss" and so on, which is a bit strange, I know... :blush:

Poppy x

I am not all that fond of the gender neutral pronouns myself as to me they just sound too odd, I do however derive great delight from ticking the ‘female’ box and then the ‘Mr.’ box on forms and whatnot and then revelling in the ensuing confusion. I also get a kick out of introductions that go something like “This is Mr. *my surname*; she is a friend of mine” (or the other way around).

You know, I love all of you mad, fantastic people deeply, but I find myself progressively more frustrated with having an identity that isn't as straightforward as absolutely male or absolutely female.

The uncertainty that is the domain of the transyadas is frustrating every place this isn't here.

oh golly. tell me about it. and yet... and yet... for myself, and myself only, i feel that choosing one side of the binary--whichever it might be; though it's no secret i lean emphatically to one side--would be nothing but a compromise and a capitulation. this brings me only sorrow, because every day it breaks my heart to be seen as something other than what i know myself to be. but--and again, for myself; there's no way in hell i'd put this on anyone else--i feel so strongly that this is something i'm meant to work out, and that i have a greater purpose as one who flaunts the binary than as one who chooses a side.

still. it hurts me every goddamned day, and i won't deny it. it's my cross to bear. doesn't mean i have to like it.

I cannot help but to empathize as I can relate to this myself.

I am not all that fond of the gender neutral pronouns myself as to me they just sound too odd, I do however derive great delight from ticking the ‘female’ box and then the ‘Mr.’ box on forms and whatnot and then revelling in the ensuing confusion. I also get a kick out of introductions that go something like “This is Mr. *my surname*; she is a friend of mine” (or the other way around).
What a hoot!

Poppy said that my font makes me look extra girly (as I asked her), is this true?

H xx

What a hoot!

Poppy said that my font makes me look extra girly (as I asked her), is this true?

H xx

Yes.

Make it purple.

I am not all that fond of the gender neutral pronouns myself as to me they just sound too odd, I do however derive great delight from ticking the female box and then the Mr. box on forms and whatnot and then revelling in the ensuing confusion. I also get a kick out of introductions that go something like This is Mr. *my surname*; she is a friend of mine (or the other way around).

see, that's a perfect example of where i see my life going, if i can ever get myself to come to terms with it. because that's absolutely my objective view of myself--that i am neither wholly male nor wholly female, but some sort of peculiar admixture of the two, and to lean too far towards either end of the binary is just going to cause me to topple over. since i have no plans at this time to transition fully, i will most likely always be perceived as biologically female. but i dearly love the prospect of confusing and confounding people as much as possible, and i love the idea of using traditionally contradictory pronouns and forms of address in the same sentence.

you've given me something to think about today, MorbidNerd. thank you--not only for that, but for joining the board in the first place. in the short time you've been here, you've already managed to give articulation to a lot of things i've been trying to work out in my own head.

H xx

yes, Heidi. you have a girly font. i have always thought so myself. if that was your goal, you have achieved it admirably; if not, you may wish to look for one a little more gender-neutral. (i just use the default; generic seems to suit my life in soooo many different ways...)

Heidi, I had a look at the font selection AVEN offers and if you want something less girly but with a similar feel to Comic Sans, I suggest that you try out Trebuchet MS, which I set this post in. It's quite warm and friendly, not too decorative, sans-serif and rather gender-neutral... and it also happens to be one of my personal favourites. And the lowercase g is super cool.

I'm a bit of a font geek. *caresses Constantia*

I'm a bit of a font geek. *caresses Constantia*

Constantia's lovely. i'm quite partial to Garamond as well.

Everybody loves Garamond, but often I find it a little too decorative for my purposes, in which case I settle for good ol' Georgia.

Oh no, we're mixing serifs and sans-serifs! This can result in an explosion!

asexual cake

I'm a bit of a font geek. *caresses Constantia*[/font]

I'd like to say that my previous offer stands.

In fact, I think we should all get a collective platonic marriage and go off to be hobbit adventurers. \

But I still get to be Pippin.

I'm afraid that at 181 cm, I might regrettably be a little too tall for a hobbit adventurer. Which, of course, doesn't mean that I'm not interested.

Herr Joseph von Löthing

Awesome.

I'm afraid that at 181 cm, I might regrettably be a little too tall for a hobbit adventurer. Which, of course, doesn't mean that I'm not interested.

Hobbits make poor adventurers. Imagine how many extra steps they'd have to take, with those 'ickly tiny winy' legs XD

I love it when people sigquote me, it usually means they like what I said.
That I did!
if that was your goal, you have achieved it admirably; if not, you may wish to look for one a little more gender-neutral. (i just use the default; generic seems to suit my life in soooo many different ways...)
It was most certainly not my goal! I'm going to try this and see how it goes.

But as I told Miss Poppy, if I were to be male, just for the sheer hell of it (and because let's face it - it would be me) I would be the guy that flaunts his (or her! ;) ) feminininity. Am I nuts?

(On 2nd thoughts, I ask that the last question be ignored)

Heidi, I had a look at the font selection AVEN offers and if you want something less girly but with a similar feel to Comic Sans, I suggest that you try out Trebuchet MS, which I set this post in. It's quite warm and friendly, not too decorative, sans-serif and rather gender-neutral... and it also happens to be one of my personal favourites. And the lowercase g is super cool.
Duly noted. Thanks :)

What about if I were to colour my posts, say, blue? I like to stand out somehow!

H xx

I've just realised that if I were female-bodied, I'd probably dress more or less the same as I do now. I'd suck at femininity.

Duly noted. Thanks :)

What about if I were to colour my posts, say, blue? I like to stand out somehow!

H xx

You could type upside down to stand out!

That's the 'amusing' thing I've found. Women can be femme or butch and that's fine. In fact (particularly with my experiences in the legal system) a woman helps her case by emasculating herself. I think that's wrong.... but let's not rant now....

But for men to be feminine, that is somehow wrong. I don't get why? And why must every happy/expressive male be classed as gay? What does sexuality have to do with how you are? I happen to know the straightest acting, most masculine, man ever. He just happens to be gay.

H xx

asexual cake

But for men to be feminine, that is somehow wrong. I don't get why? And why must every happy/expressive male be classed as gay? What does sexuality have to do with how you are? I happen to know the straightest, most masculine, man ever. He just happens to be gay.

H xx[/font]

Androcentrism.

That's the 'amusing' thing I've found. Women can be femme or butch and that's fine. In fact (particularly with my experiences in the legal system) a woman helps her case by emasculating herself. I think that's wrong.... but let's not rant now....

But for men to be feminine, that is somehow wrong. I don't get why? And why must every happy/expressive male be classed as gay? What does sexuality have to do with how you are? I happen to know the straightest, most masculine, man ever. He just happens to be gay.

H xx

It's a double standard all the way across the sky (so intense!). Men are higher than women on the social ladder, so if a woman is butch, she's trying to be more like a man, and that's okay; but when a man is femme, he's trying to be like a woman, and thus betraying all menfolk by lowering their status to that of women. Of course, this doesn't reflect my opinion on the matter and is just a terribly simplified and exaggerated description of the feminist interpretation of this phenomenon.

Living in a patriarchal society (or a matriarchal one, for that matter) hurts everyone.

Edit: Yeah, what Charles said.

Hobbits make poor adventurers. Imagine how many extra steps they'd have to take, with those 'ickly tiny winy' legs XD

Or us tall transyadas could just be elf adventurers!

I've just realised that if I were female-bodied, I'd probably dress more or less the same as I do now. I'd suck at femininity.

That's quite funny - I think I'd dress very feminine if I were female. I have quite a few fashion crushes and I sometimes spot dresses that I think would fit my friends - and envy them a bit for being able to wear it (not that I can't - I just don't look good in it).

ah, makes me think of one of my favourite portraits, Peter, A Young English Girl, by Romaine Brooks:

Romaine_Brooks_-_Peter.jpg

the subject of the portrait was an artist in the 1920s named Hannah Gluckstein, who simply went by Gluck and who dressed exclusively in men's clothing. she had the coat in the portrait made herself by someone she simply called "a mad tailor". i think it's a fantastic image.