TransWhatevers of AVEN

So out of all the things we've ever discussed on the most sprawling thread of sprawling threads, the one that could do most to remind us of our differences if not shortly followed by some symbolic reaffirmation of communitas is emo music?

You know, I'm not really surprised. It has a way of getting people up in arms.

I need a cup of tea. Anyone care to join me?

che%201.jpg

EDIT: And, for the non tea drinkers, I'll provide coffee as well. If you don't like either, you can bring your own drink.

coffee.jpg

Very diplomatically done, anamia. Are you or have you ever been an éminence grise at the Congress of Vienna?

why, thank you, anamia. don't mind if i do.

(you know, there are probably a number of differences between being emo and angst-ridden, but the clearest one to me is that one can be angst-ridden and still look respectable and decently-dressed...)

So out of all the things we've ever discussed on the most sprawling thread of sprawling threads, the one that could do most to remind us of our differences if not shortly followed by some symbolic reaffirmation of communitas is emo music?

You know, I'm not really surprised. It has a way of getting people up in arms.

[image]

EDIT: And, for the non tea drinkers, I'll provide coffee as well. If you don't like either, you can bring your own drink.

[image]

Very diplomatically done, anamia. Are you or have you ever been an éminence grise at the Congress of Vienna?

Not as of yet, I'm afraid. I won't rule it out, though.

Do you know how many pictures of boys making out comes up when you Google "emo guys"?

Too many.

I have nothing wrong with two dudes kissing but do you have to fill my search with it?

I think university was the cause of much of my misery for previous three years. I couldn't relate to anyone in my class, maybe one guy who was a fan of hot rods and quiffs but as a rule no-one. Most people were those overly enthusiastic type of people without an ounce of cynicism between them. They were all horribly middle class too, all ski trips and summering in, i don't know somewhere horrendously expensive, wearing pseudo designer labels like Super Dry and fucking Aberzombie. They all looked the same to me.

I wasn't really bothered about being friends with them, as you can imagine but they seemed to take offence if i didn't say hello every time i saw them. And i don't mean like every morning, i mean every time i got back from having a smoke or a cup of tea, or going to the bin to sharpen a pencil. I think they also hated the fact that i was on my own time table and still got the highest grades. I don't think they were aware that i did work, a lot of work instead of drinking £1 cocktails at the SU every night.

At university they always harp on about working in teams with people and making these lifetime bonds that will set you in good stead for the rest of your life. What the fuck you on about teach, ya daft bastard? A few people made comic books, but they weren't interested in them so much. Sounds big headed perhaps but i thought they only made them because they saw that i got good grades with mine and they wanted a slice of a top percentage. Even if their drawings were good the stories were beyond the drab, which is most of the point to graphic story telling, hence why you can get away with stickmen if the narrative is funny or compelling. So anyway, they'd claim their D and never trouble the medium again.

Looking back with a cricked neck, i should have changed universities. The main bone of contention for me was the lack of listening from the tutors. They liked the sound of their voices and liked to tell you things, rather than have a conversation. I ended up listening to the same crap from my tutor about Charles Burns a million and one times. I like Charles Burns but i'm not basing my entire body of work on him, no sir. Oh my grief and Daniel Clowes, how many times did he want to ask me if i was aware of Ghost World? I wrote a bloody essay about it in my first year. *face palm*

There we go.

Do you know how many pictures of boys making out comes up when you Google "emo guys"?

Too many.

I have nothing wrong with two dudes kissing but do you have to fill my search with it?

You know, one of the reasons I like emo music is because I find boys in eyeliner making out with each other to be entertainingly attractive. Also because I want their hair. Try searching just for 'emo.' You get girls too, but it seems to be less filled with couples.

I consider emo to be a subset of angst-ridden. My personal brand is of the struggling artist, pouring out her frustrations to a blank page as she crumbles under the weight of the cruelness of this world. It would be a better image if I had a notebook instead of a computer, but I prefer my computer and, anyway, I can type a heck of a lot faster than I can write.

I consider emo to be a subset of angst-ridden. My personal brand is of the struggling artist, pouring out her frustrations to a blank page as she crumbles under the weight of the cruelness of this world. It would be a better image if I had a notebook instead of a computer, but I prefer my computer and, anyway, I can type a heck of a lot faster than I can write.

if i had my way, i'd be scribbling my angst onto parchment with a quill pen, thankyouverymuch. but yes, i can type a lot faster than i can write as well. more's the pity.

and i thought it was more or less common knowledge that emo is just angst-lite...

The word "angst" is being used so frequently I feel like I'm trying to read Kierkegaard all over again.

I hate Kiekegaard('s writing) so much arggggg

Basil the Tired Aesthete

Oh, were there like five pages of angst and music videos since I was last here? Well, I just popped in to extend my congrats to the Professor and show you the joyful consequence of typing 'Happiness' into Google Images to even things out a bit:

google-searchhappiness.jpg

Ta ta.

A few of the signals from the yada hive mind must have got garbled on their way here: with me, it's the Balkans, not Finland; military jackets, not suits; My Doctor is Nine, not Ten or Two (but why did they have to waste his only season on knocking around with Billie Piper?). But they're the same sorts of things to an extent I still find quite hard to take in.

Just want to point out my love for military jackets and the fact that Nine is my doctor. Nine is always my doctor.

I'm a nine-r too. That is all.

Herr Joseph von Löthing

Oliver, emo music in moderation. Moderation.

What is this "moderation" you speak of?

Moderation, or I find a friendly mod to moderate you.

Oh, were there like five pages of angst and music videos since I was last here? Well, I just popped in to extend my congrats to the Professor and show you the joyful consequence of typing 'Happiness' into Google Images to even things out a bit:

Ta ta.

That picture is amazing. Rofl.

Ta ta.

Yays!

grease21.jpg

I think university was the cause of much of my misery for previous three years. I couldn't relate to anyone in my class, maybe one guy who was a fan of hot rods and quiffs but as a rule no-one. Most people were those overly enthusiastic type of people without an ounce of cynicism between them. They were all horribly middle class too, all ski trips and summering in, i don't know somewhere horrendously expensive, wearing pseudo designer labels like Super Dry and fucking Aberzombie. They all looked the same to me.

I wasn't really bothered about being friends with them, as you can imagine but they seemed to take offence if i didn't say hello every time i saw them. And i don't mean like every morning, i mean every time i got back from having a smoke or a cup of tea, or going to the bin to sharpen a pencil. I think they also hated the fact that i was on my own time table and still got the highest grades. I don't think they were aware that i did work, a lot of work instead of drinking £1 cocktails at the SU every night.

At university they always harp on about working in teams with people and making these lifetime bonds that will set you in good stead for the rest of your life. What the fuck you on about teach, ya daft bastard? A few people made comic books, but they weren't interested in them so much. Sounds big headed perhaps but i thought they only made them because they saw that i got good grades with mine and they wanted a slice of a top percentage. Even if their drawings were good the stories were beyond the drab, which is most of the point to graphic story telling, hence why you can get away with stickmen if the narrative is funny or compelling. So anyway, they'd claim their D and never trouble the medium again.

Looking back with a cricked neck, i should have changed universities. The main bone of contention for me was the lack of listening from the tutors. They liked the sound of their voices and liked to tell you things, rather than have a conversation. I ended up listening to the same crap from my tutor about Charles Burns a million and one times. I like Charles Burns but i'm not basing my entire body of work on him, no sir. Oh my grief and Daniel Clowes, how many times did he want to ask me if i was aware of Ghost World? I wrote a bloody essay about it in my first year. *face palm*

There we go.

I've been here for almost a month and I don't know the names of all the girls on my floor. I've no idea if they know mine. I don't go on outings -- hells, I don't usually know when said outings are taking place -- and I've no desire to change that.

I will not post XKCD. I will not post XKCD. I will not post XKCD...

if i had my way, i'd be scribbling my angst onto parchment with a quill pen, thankyouverymuch. but yes, i can type a lot faster than i can write as well. more's the pity.

and i thought it was more or less common knowledge that emo is just angst-lite...

If I could actually write with a quill pen, I'd do that. I need to get back to practicing. Though it would probably make my handwriting even more illegible. On the other hand, my writing was recently described as 'pretty but illegible,' which is how I view most writings done with a quill pen.

Don't tell the emo kids. They think they're deep.

At least we're not using the word "sexily". You'd feel like you were reading My Immortal.

Oh Gods. Even the TV tropes of that made my brain melt.

At least we're not using the word "sexily". You'd feel like you were reading My Immortal.

I read it twice. TWICE.

I read it twice. TWICE.

But it's so long. I left off somewhere about chapter twenty-five because I couldn't take it anymore.

I've been here for almost a month and I don't know the names of all the girls on my floor. I've no idea if they know mine. I don't go on outings -- hells, I don't usually know when said outings are taking place -- and I've no desire to change that.

I will not post XKCD. I will not post XKCD. I will not post XKCD...

Lordy, i hated living in halls. One kid in mine tried to bully me, 'til i had words and he said "Oh i just got a bad vibe off you." Yeah, is that right? You'll get a bad kickin off me if you don't leave me alone. I think he was only doing it as he was a small lad and the other boys picked on him so he wanted to deflect it over to me, i'm kind of quiet around people i don;t know and enjoy the sanctuary of my own room. But anyway, he left well alone after that. I did make one good friend in halls. The most unlikely of people; very girly, a bit ahem chavvy, pretty much my opposite and i didn't really pay much attention to what she was up to. Then one day we were all getting drunk in the living room and i noticed she was the most sarcastic person ever, with a rapier wit to match, and then i knew we had to be friends. Alas she dropped out in the 2nd year.

Anyway, i've been a lot happier since finishing uni and all the bollocks that goes with it.

I read it twice. TWICE.

Were it not friendlocked, I'd link you to a transcript of a conversation I had with a group of friends about that... thing. It's hysterical.

Also, I react to Spongebob with point objects. And a fairly psychotic grin.

Herr Joseph von Löthing

I had a spongebob background on my other laptop.

It also displayed a piece of steak when you booted it up. Haxx ftw!

w1vcw2.gif

Me and whoever wants to be in the pink Snuggie.

Oooh, me!

We actually have that blue Snuggie on the chair in my living room. I should wear it and then dance like that guy.

Alrightyo.

And here's another just because it's totally awesome.

33avssj.gif

Edit: Kirb, why do you have a Snuggie?

It's actually my roommate's, which she received for Christmas.

Although my mother does try to buy me one every time we go to Wal-Mart.