Is there a difference between being aroused and horny?

WhenSummersGone

WhenSummersGone

I know I can get aroused, kinda, from my romantic feelings towards someone, which is weird and I don't understand, but that doesn't mean I want to sleep with them. In fact given the chance I never would and I never picture sleeping with someone. I guess I'm very sensual but I would rather deal with that on my own rather than someone else, and just the idea of being touched is what gets me aroused, from anyone? I guess that's a fetish but has nothing to do with anyone. I'm still trying to figure it out. Any thoughts?

I'm just wondering though, is there a difference? Is that the same as being horny, or is that just being aroused?

Does horny mean you want sex or that you would prefer to have sex? What about being turned on?

I read on here that a few asexual can be aroused, so I'm wondering what triggers that

I'm just confused so if anyone has any opinions or thoughts, I'd love to hear them :)

I think usually horny does refer to being aroused and wanting to have sex with someone else. I've not really experienced this, though, so I couldn't really tell you for sure. That's just what it means to me.

WhenSummersGone

Oh, but what if you can get aroused but you don't want to sleep with someone?

I've always considered 'horny' a synonym for 'aroused.' I don't understand the distinction that you're trying to make.

Arousal is simply a series of physical reactions that primes oneself for sex. It can be brought on by a whole bunch of things that have nothing to do with sexual orientation and it doesn't mean you want to sleep with someone. People who masturbate don't want to have sex with their hands, and people can experience arousal from imagining situations (such as, perhaps, a very romantic situation) without wanting to have sex or even to experience that situation in real life. Many women get aroused every month simply from their menstrual cycle, but that says absolutely nothing about their sexual preferences.

I can get aroused from imagining other people kissing, but in real life, kissing is mechanical and boring for me. Is that something like what you're experiencing?

WhenSummersGone

Ya I think that's what I mean lol. I'm just wondering if it's right to say I get horny because I'm aroused? Or does horny mean I'm looking to have actual sex?

I guess you have to make a choice as to whether you define it that way.

WhenSummersGone

I'm just not sure what being horny means. That you want to have sex? And if so, does being aroused mean the same thing even though I don't have the desire to have sex?

I realize my first post was confusing. I wasn't sure how to word this and ask proper questions lol

I'm just saying that's it's really just up to you. Like defining yourself as asexual is up to you, deciding whether horny means you want to have sex with someone is up to you.

WhenSummersGone

Oh ok, that's cool. I guess I'm just looking for opinions now so I can get an idea of what others think. I'm just confused is all. Sexuals might say horny because they want sex, but do asexuals use that term as well?

I'm pretty sure the word "horny" stems from the look of the male genitalia during arousal... I don't think there is a difference between arousal and arousal towards another person when using this word, but I think it is most often heard (usually by men, sometimes by women now) when someone is loudly proclaiming their interest in someone else (which most people do get interested by someone else and are more likely to declare that than just being aroused without someone else, because where's the point in that?)

Aroused can be emotional or intellectual or physical (non-sexual, .i.e during a good workout). Horny is specifically sexual arousal.

Nika

asexual cake

I also took horny to mean a kind of prolonged feeling of sexual desire - as in, not specifically aroused, but in a state of actively wanting to have sex - and being aroused as just a physical reaction to some kind of stimuli, which may or may not be sexual.

I also took horny to mean a kind of prolonged feeling of sexual desire - as in, not specifically aroused, but in a state of actively wanting to have sex - and being aroused as just a physical reaction to some kind of stimuli, which may or may not be sexual.

That also makes sense, like horny meaning being "in heat" or something to that effect. Like an ongoing desire of sexual stimulation, or "sexual hunger".

Nika

I'm just not sure what being horny means. That you want to have sex? And if so, does being aroused mean the same thing even though I don't have the desire to have sex?

I realize my first post was confusing. I wasn't sure how to word this and ask proper questions lol

When I hear someone say "horny", I instantly think that they want to have sex really, really badly... so I'd say that "horny" is a stronger word than "aroused" and also means that you want some actual sex, but I'm not sure if I've got it right :ph34r:

Totenkopftoast

I can get aroused by romantic situations without wating to have sex. "Horny" sounds more sex-centered for me.

I always thought horny was like in heat, as in in a particualr state of mind ot want sex or sexual contact.

Arousal can happen at any time.

Lady Heartilly

I've always thought that being "horny" and being "aroused" were two completely different things, and I never even thought anyone considered them synonyms until I saw this post. Whenever somebody tells me that they feel "horny," they always mean that they really want to have sex at that moment. I've heard this stated by both men and women, and I've never heard them mean it any other way. I have, personally, been aroused in the past--many times actually--and it was nothing more than a physical reaction that my body had that was entirely outside of my control. Not once during any of these times did I ever feel a desire to have sex, so I have never been "horny" by the definition that I have heard it used in, but I have been aroused.

prettyeyes

I always thought horny was like in heat, as in in a particualr state of mind ot want sex or sexual contact.

This is what I thought too. Like, a lot of people I've met wake up in the morning aroused by no particular thing no matter what they dreamed about.

Sleeping Beauty

I always thought so.

WhenSummersGone

Alright awesome. Thanks for all your replies. I always thought they were different too. I guess for sexuals they mean the same thing? If I'm aroused, it's something I can take care of myself. If I needed someone else then I guess I would be horny, but I never do. Also I think being turned on is the same as horny, usually someone will say "you turn me on" which would mean they are horny after that, I think

Thanks again :)