Discussion 2.0: Asexual Flag

standup

Tomorrow I'll make a collage of all the newly submitted flags and get a discussion going on if any should be discounted to be added in the next poll.

I would be happy to make the poll on AVEN again but I'm not sure how others feel.

Well, I've been telling people it probably won't be on AVEN cause I thought it was going to be elsewhere lol. But pesonally I don't mind it being here so long as there's an option in each category for 'I don't like any in this group' alongside the 'I DON'T WANT A FLAG!' option.

And on the 'don't want a flag' options there should be the more neutral 'don't really want one but not against it' alongside the 'against it and don't want it' option to get a clearer picture.

I'll modify the flags I was trying to mock up for someone above and re-sub them in a bit.

there's quite a few people putting thier heart and soul into this

whatever the outcome....the enthusiasm is greatly appreciated

Tomorrow I'll make a collage of all the newly submitted flags and get a discussion going on if any should be discounted to be added in the next poll.

I would be happy to make the poll on AVEN again but I'm not sure how others feel.

Great! Can't wait.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

I look forward to this :)

Maybe you should alter them so that they are all the same color purple, so that color doesn't affect people's opinions on the design? Or at least ask people to disregard color for now? I think we should definitely decide on the design now and then vote on which color later. Maybe take the design we decide on and make it several different colors and then vote on that.

And on the 'don't want a flag' options there should be the more neutral 'don't really want one but not against it' alongside the 'against it and don't want it' option to get a clearer picture.

The only problem I have with this is that a lot of people choose middle ground as an easy way out of not having to make a choice. In my mind, you're either for it or against it - and if it's not life or death, you still lean one way or another. I don't think it's asking too much to get people to decide.

I think we should definitely decide on the design now and then vote on which color later. Maybe take the design we decide on and make it several different colors and then vote on that.

I'd definitely be game for that.

Here are the first round finalists...

firstroundresults2.png

And here are all of the newly submitted flags (let me know if I missed any.)

There are colored boxes so we can discuss them in categories.. the ones at the top in red, for example, are missing colors.

newflagssheet.png

Ummm, the A1 adaptions I did with the Polish AVEN triangle and the spade was just an example of how A1 could be adapted if the user wanted, not separate submissions.

Also, the ones without all four colours in it should be taken out as they don't meet requirements and if I remember, the one with the coloured triangles but the cake in the bottom-left corner was meant more as a joke and does, due to the nature of how the cake is represented, goes towards the complicated thing in any case.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

Also, the ones without all four colours in it should be taken out as they don't meet requirements and if I remember, the one with the coloured triangles but the cake in the bottom-left corner was meant more as a joke and does, due to the nature of how the cake is represented, goes towards the complicated thing in any case.

I second this.

Also, I don't think it's a good idea to have a border like the two on the right side of the green box do. It makes it look like an image of a flag on a flag and has a boxed in feel to it that could misrepresent asexyness as being sheltered.

The two on the bottom right of the orange box (the ones with the full circles) seem awkward and imbalanced. Maybe they should be adjusted so that the circle is centered? (though that would look a bit like Japan's flag, ha)

I also think the top row in the darker blue box (with the different shades of purple stripes) are a little too busy.

Sorry if I'm too opinionated, but after taking four years of college graphic design classes, I thought I should speak up on design related matters :P

As far as the A-sylum submissions go, I hadn't really intended to put all of those up for consideration. I was just throwing a bunch of ideas out there (most of them variations on the same idea, really) to see what people liked. Based on the input we got, it sounded like this one was the favorite out of that bunch:

2627-2587-2567-443.gif

Do you mean something like one of these?

Yeah! Thanks for making them :) I was picturing something a lot like the top one, although the second is cool too. In either case I think they would look better with the circle slightly smaller, and maybe with the first it would look more balanced turned so that it had black on bottom, grey on left, and white on right? None of that is important symbolically of course, I just think it might be more aesthetically pleasing for some reason.

Also, thanks for explaining how to post pictures, but I still don't get it. I'll have to have my little sister show me in person sometime I guess. "Now you click there, now you click there. No,THERE. :rolleyes: "

Okay, so something more like these then?

aceflag-guess1b.png

aceflag-guess2b.png

In which case, poll people? This over-rides the two flags like it.

Also, I thought the poll wasn't until Saturday as that's what all the blerb we've been trying to spread around the 'net is saying.

XD You can take my ray one with the cake out, the one with the cake was a joke, the rest wern't but the cake one was.

Also, you seem to be missing a few that I remmber seeing on this thread, some where popularish.

XD You can take my ray one with the cake out, the one with the cake was a joke, the rest wern't but the cake one was.

Also, you seem to be missing a few that I remmber seeing on this thread, some where popularish.

Any idea of what they are?

Alright, I took out the red ones, the cake one, and the ones that were just a variation of A1 by bristrek. I also replaced the ace symbol ones so they have the newer version.

If I forgot any... try to link them. And yeah the poll doesn't start until Sunday. I'm just weeding them out if they don't meet guidelines or whatever.

What's the census on the circle flags? And should I eliminate all the ones by Derp except for the favorite out of the series?

You mean the pie chart type ones that I made for another on here and the one similar? Well, the two with the bigger circles leave out I'd think cause the person wanted them smaller and thus why I adapted them to be, well, smaller circles. I think the similar one with the semi-circle on the left border should be left in too cause it fits requirements.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Great! Can't wait.

Me neither!

Squeeeeeeeeeee an asexy flag. This feels so historic!

Do you mean something like one of these?

Yeah! Thanks for making them :) I was picturing something a lot like the top one, although the second is cool too. In either case I think they would look better with the circle slightly smaller, and maybe with the first it would look more balanced turned so that it had black on bottom, grey on left, and white on right? None of that is important symbolically of course, I just think it might be more aesthetically pleasing for some reason.

Also, thanks for explaining how to post pictures, but I still don't get it. I'll have to have my little sister show me in person sometime I guess. "Now you click there, now you click there. No,THERE. :rolleyes: "

Okay, so something more like these then?

aceflag-guess1b.png

aceflag-guess2b.png

In which case, poll people? This over-rides the two flags like it.

The size is good but I would say put the circles so that if you drew a line down the middle of the flag they would be centered in the righthand half. i.e. not quite so far into the corner. Sorry I'm such a hassle. :D

The two on the bottom right of the orange box (the ones with the full circles) seem awkward and imbalanced. Maybe they should be adjusted so that the circle is centered? (though that would look a bit like Japan's flag, ha)

I suggested that design, and I thought the circle should go over on the right for two reasons: First, the wide expanse of purple on the left represents the wide expansive community. Second, it provides a space where groups or individuals could add a second symbol without hurting the overall recognizability of the flag.

Also, if a flag is actually hung on a pole the middle tends to fold in and not show much.

Eleutherius

I like the ones in the blue box with the purple triangles best, myself. Although the solid with the off center design is also nice, for the reasons mentioned by TeaSipper.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

I suggested that design, and I thought the circle should go over on the right for two reasons: First, the wide expanse of purple on the left represents the wide expansive community. Second, it provides a space where groups or individuals could add a second symbol without hurting the overall recognizability of the flag.

Also, if a flag is actually hung on a pole the middle tends to fold in and not show much.

It looks A LOT better with the smaller circles. Did you consider placing them on the upper left instead, though?

Any idea of what they are?

I'd have to go through the thread page by page, I will do that if wanted.

I'm not exactly sure which pie-chart versions I'm supposed to use. D:

Please use the ones with the smaller circles. They are closer to what I had in mind. Although if you could move the circles a little down and to the left so they aren't so tight in the corner that would be good. More like centered in the righthand half of the flag.

Also, I hate to point this out because I really like them, but I think the flags in the left of the orange, with the diagonal stripes that flare out, are too much like the national flag of Seychelles. Perhaps if the rays came from a different corner it would look less like Seychelles?

corduroyjackalope

I am confused now. Why isn't the poll going to be on AVEN, and where else would an asexual flag be voted on? It seemed to go well on here. :huh:

A1 is still my favorite. I think if anyone wants to add symbols they can afterword. It's not like there will be a law against adding your own pics onto the flag. And I'm still planning on knitting a hat or a scarf. Recreating it on your own will be difficult if the standard flag has a symbol on it.

corduroyjackalope

I was also wondering when does the second round of voting starts. I was looking foward to the 24th because I can't wait to vote and get all this over with, but I showed up and didn't see a second round started. :(

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

I was also wondering when does the second round of voting starts. I was looking foward to the 24th because I can't wait to vote and get all this over with, but I showed up and didn't see a second round started. :(

Me too!

I feel that many of these color combinations are less simple than titled. The complex patterns with intricate symbols aesthetically say too much at once. I suggest a simple , single color background (perhaps white, as it is the absence of color and we live in absence of sex?) with a detailed symbol OR a busy background with a simple symbol. Combining both frankly made my eyes hurt to look at just now as I voted. I guess, sometimes less is more.

I'm going to make the poll tomorrow. I guess that's fine with everyone? It'll be on AVEN again since nobody has said anything differently.

There's going to be a buttload of choices again, but hopefully after the week is through we can get the ball rolling a bit faster and the elimination will be a little more exciting.

corduroyjackalope

Can't wait! Had a dream that I was pinning up a huge A1 asexuality flag on my wall!

Archived