Discussion 2.0: Asexual Flag

standup

Hmmm, the one's Mac of A-sylum posted are interesting. I like the first option best I have to say though it looks rather 80s to me for some reason and a bit too complicated in the colouring for a flag. But I like it as a graphic.

Also, someone commented on the LJ post to give a link HERE which is the discussion topic for this on the #Club-of-Aces deviant art blog. And bloody hell, the Maryland flag is awful!

Guest member31022

Hmmm, the one's Mac of A-sylum posted are interesting. I like the first option best I have to say though it looks rather 80s to me for some reason and a bit too complicated in the colouring for a flag. But I like it as a graphic.

I really, really like Mac's first one - I wonder what it would look like with just 3 shades, not 4? Could simplify it a bit?

I really, really like Mac's first one - I wonder what it would look like with just 3 shades, not 4? Could simplify it a bit?

Yeah, I would love to see it with just 3 shades.

I suppose I understand their "political activist" concerns and about how they just want to be "people who are asexual" rather than Out There, but I also resent it a little bit because I'm not stopping them from taking a back seat in a cuddly armchair, there's no harm in that, but surely they must realise that without the people who are making the stand, making themselves known, shouting the loudest, those people wouldn't even know they were asexual.

Okay, so taking the different purple version of the A1 flag, assuming that that' the 'plain' version that is generally used symbols can be added to it on top and become stuff like this....

The Ace of Spades (upside down):

flagA1a-ace.pngflagA1b-ace.pngflagA1c-ace.png

Or with the triangle... I based this off the Polish AVEN version:

flagA1a-polishtriangle.pngflagA1b-polishtriangle.pngflagA1c-polishtriangle.png

I mean, some fine tuning and stuff can be done, but it clearly shows that it's possible but does it change which purple you think works best?

Though I agree that the third of the three both look good and will last through time better.

ETA: Watching a movie about Jerry Lee Lewis and all I'm thinking now is 'bloody hell man, THIRTEEN?!?!?! If your love was true you could've waited for her to grow up a bit before you married her. Jeez.'

Son of ETA: Ellie J those are some interesting ideas, like the first option better I have to say. But interesting option, hmmmm.

bottom 3..dey prreeetteeeee

From the A-sylum thread - Mac's updated it to just three stripes (I suggested it because I thought it would look less busy)

It can be found on here

http://www.strait-a.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=618&start=15

The first one with 3 strips of each colour, where they're all balanced, is actually my favourite I've seen.

I like the second and third one best actually. I still prefer A1 over them but I do like the second and third A-sylum 2.0 ones.

On another note, I had a look on this thread on my iPhone and the different coloured purples in the A1 variations? Look completely different on my iPhone than my MacBook. We need to go out and find something that'll be the same purple everywhere and decide if we like that and then find out it's pantone colour or something.

I nominate Cadbury Chocolate. And boy does that name look weird when it's in normal font. And it may be a bit too blue so... which other chocolates products have purple on them that are easy and inexpensive to get? Or book covers of things we may already have or....

Does anybody else have the season 4 box set of Babylon 5? I like the purples on that.

Guest fridayoak

From the A-sylum thread - Mac's updated it to just three stripes (I suggested it because I thought it would look less busy)

It can be found on here

http://www.strait-a.net/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=618&start=15

The first one with 3 strips of each colour, where they're all balanced, is actually my favourite I've seen.

Yeah I like the first one best too. And I'd say it's my favourite overall along with the 4 horizontal stripe one on Aven, I'd be happy with either being chosen. I like how it subtly has the white/grey/black triangle on without it looking like someone has just plonked a random symbol on. It's unobtrusive, like I found all the flags with symbols on Aven to look either naff or too full-on in-your-face.

I didn't want to use the colour purple and it kind of destroys my design (I heard about it on deviantART beforehand and designed it before I read the guidelines [they had guidelines posted but were just suggestions])... but apparently I'm not allowed to not use it, so I incorporated it and slightly re-did the design. I think it looks far better without the purple, however. And there's other reasons than just looks that I think purple shouldn't be used.

However I'll still post the designs without purple below -- I'll use the purple version in my "subcategories" (explained later) but the alternative bases will be in the image. Apparently people oppose using a heart too, but all the other "romantic" symbols are either very tacky or are too complicated, so I'll go with it regardless. Personally I think it's perfect -- not only does it represent romanticism, but it represents the "ace" ideal (and for aromantics, a spade instead :)) Do know that the hearts look FAR better on the non-purple versions.

I'll talk more about it after I post the image :) It's HUGE so I hope I don't stretch the page.

asexualityflag.png

Okay so the top (any base, all applies to all bases) flags are supposed to be the generic flag that represents all of asexuality and to do with it. They are unfilled and almost can be viewed as "unfinished" because "asexual" is undescriptive in of itself, so the heart had to be undescriptive and vague as well. While it may not satisfy some aromantic asexuals, just know that it is intended to basically be "in the process of being completed/drawn" meaning that it could later be a spade by tacking in the little triangle in the cleft, or anything else.

The flags are easily manipulated for a user so they can, if they wished, be more specific and the flag be more personalized for them (there is just SO many kind of asexual) -- the first row is for "romantic" if you didn't want to specify further, aromantic, demisexual (unspecified any further) and grey shade/scale (I didn't scale the grey because that would be a failure on design aspect). Also I do not intend to portray demisexuals as "half romantic" or "half a person" or whatever in any way -- demi means "half" (i.e. demicircle, demigod, anyone?), so I was very simple in I just halfed the image. I didn't know if aromantics specify with homo/bi/hetero anything, however if they do it is simple enough to replace the back colour in with the associated gay/bi/etc flag instead, with the spade remaining.

The second row is an example of what one might to do specify further. I couldn't find a heterosexual flag so I used baby blue and baby pink, the gender-specific colours. I hear black and white can represent heterosexual but then that gets a little confusing and repetitive within the asexual/demisexual flag and just in general looks bad. I mean it would make it combined with the demisexual flag like a 3-quarters-flag.

Hell, if the flag-user wanted to, they could manipulate the heart's inside image so it says you fall under the asexual spectrum... and... say, your country (have partial of the flag in there), or have the transgender flag in the back, instead of getting more into your sexuality.

That's all. Opinions? :)

Spoofmaster

Woops, sort of dropped out of the discussion for a few days.

Looking at them now, though I didn't vote for it then, out of the ones from the first round of voting I like the one that's labeled C1 on the second version of the list of winners (large purple area to the right with gray, white, and black vertical stripes to the left). I'd prefer it with the black, gray, and white arranged in a gradient, but that one's aesthetically pleasing and I like that the purple has so large a space.

Adele, I really like the idea of putting different symbols for different parts of the community in the upper part of the purple stripe on the left. I disagree strongly, however, with the use of a heart outline as a symbol for all asexuals. I am an aromantic, and yes, it does bother me that you're proposing to use a clearly romantic symbol to represent the entire community. I would not feel represented by a flag with a heart on it--while it can stand for other positive things like friendship, the immediate association is romance, both within the community by people who know about the difference between romantics and aromantics, and outside of the community, as the heart is a pretty standard symbol for romantic love.

I'm also wary of using an "unfinished" symbol, as it reminds me an awful lot of the old stereotype that being asexual means you're somehow incomplete.

I also like PsychoDork's designs. The bottom left one could be a tidier way, I think, of showing the gradient surrounded by the purple of the community, and if we were to have a flag of all horizontal stripes I'd like for the purple to be both on the top and on the bottom.

ETA: I wanted to add that I think a flag with the heart symbol on it would be very nice for the romantic part of the community, assuming that's what those members would like, and I do like the designs. I just can't support it as a generalized asexual symbol.

I agree that the heart is a bad idea as a representation of asexuality because of the aromantics, and also some of the demiromantics. It's a neat idea to have a space where different logos for different sort of asexuals could go - were the different sorts to each have a logo of their own. Which we don't. Still an interesting idea though.

I'm not sure about the layout - we have to be careful about not making it look too.... miserable/drab because of the colours and having lack and white top to bottom, so prominently does fall into that somewhat.

Interesting ideas though. Maybe with some play between the b/w/g stuff and the purple stuff in terms of proportion?

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

I don't think there should be a spot to put different symbols. People will have a hard enough time ingesting the general idea of asexuality as it is. Throw all the different symbols and variations in there and we'll confuse everyone even more. Plus it would mean a lot more work when it comes to making/selling flags. There should be one simple flag that people can identify with asexuality.

I DO think there is a need to show whether you're aromatic, hetero-romantic, homo-romantic, pan-romantic, etc WITHIN the asexual community, but I don't think the flag is the best place to display it because people who aren't in on it are sure to notice and get confused. Maybe there should be something more subtitle for this...

I don't think there should be a spot to put different symbols. People will have a hard enough time ingesting the general idea of asexuality as it is. Throw all the different symbols and variations in there and we'll confuse everyone even more. Plus it would mean a lot more work when it comes to making/selling flags. There should be one simple flag that people can identify with asexuality.

I DO think there is a need to show whether you're aromatic, hetero-romantic, homo-romantic, pan-romantic, etc WITHIN the asexual community, but I don't think the flag is the best place to display it because people who aren't in on it are sure to notice and get confused. Maybe there should be something more subtitle for this...

That's a good point, whilst I think it should be possible to add in the logo of a specific group or some other symbol if wanted having a specific space set out where that's pretty much needed, where some specific logo is required does make it a lot more complicated for flag makers. And something that small also makes it harder for those who might try to sow it themselves.

Maybe the idea could be, as you seem to hint, be adapted for inter-community communication and symbols.

Ohmygosh PsychoDork your avatar is so creepy and it moves... *hides*

ARE YOU MY MUMMY?

... I actually have a t-shirt with that mask and line on it lol.

TheyWhoShallNotBeNamed

Ohmygosh PsychoDork your avatar is so creepy and it moves... *hides*

ARE YOU MY MUMMY?

... I actually have a t-shirt with that mask and line on it lol.

Nice! lol.

Maybe I should change my avatar... It seems to be creeping a lot of people out =P

Guest member31022

Maybe I should change my avatar... It seems to be creeping a lot of people out =P

No no no no no! It's awesome.

(Just creepy-awesome)

Well, I still think we need to find a way to standardise colours in some way that compensates for different screen settings, and find a helpful way of transferring that to the real world in an easy way for making said flags/getting them printed by flag making people.

But A1 is my fave by a big, giant leap even if we have to hash out the exact colours.

I don't see the color hashing as being too important at this stage. For the most part, the design is the major issue, exact colors and how they translate into the real world can be worried about once the design is settled upon.

I don't see the color hashing as being too important at this stage. For the most part, the design is the major issue, exact colors and how they translate into the real world can be worried about once the design is settled upon.

Edit: By color I mean "shade," rather than the difference between red and green.

Double edit: I meant to add the edit to my previous and I ended up replying to it, and now I cannot find where to delete it so I can make the correction myself.

I blogged about this here: http://queersunited.blogspot.com/2010/07/join-activists-creating-first-ever.html so there should be thousands now aware of the effort who I hope will join in participation or at least in the excitement over the idea. I don't have any specific suggestions myself because I really like a lot of the stuff you guys have already come up with but I definitely agree an asexual flag is needed and will be a fun addition to the various current flags of broader LGBTQ, bisexual, transgender, and leatherfolk.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

Yeah, I would love to see it with just 3 shades.

I would be happy with either three or four shades, but yeah, I love that design. I also agree that design is paramount at this stage of the game, but color hashing not so much.

Any submissions or ideas coming in from other areas, other languages? This is getting a bit slow and I had been hoping we'd get more outside input considering how we've tried to reach out - and any luck on getting this put out in more than English, Polish and Spanish? More discussion people!

Which is why I was asking about the colours lol. But not the most important thing now, no.

I have two thoughts about the flag. The first is, do we really need to include white? Wouldn't supporters fall in the wider category of community, and thus be adequately represented by the purple?

The second is, I have an idea for a flag but not the computer skills to figure out how to get an image from a paint or photo shop document on my computer into a post or whatever :( So I'm going to suggest the idea in words here encase anyone else likes it and wants to create one.

I was thinking a rectangular purple flag that could have a circle on it in the righthand field divided pie style ( :cake: style? :) ) into black, grey, and white. I kind of like the "surrounded by community" aspect of this, rather than the purple being just a stripe or whatever. The wide expanse of purple on the left would represent the wide expansive community. That would be the basic, universal, flag for asexuals.

Then it would still be perfectly recognizable if groups or individuals wanted to customize it by putting another symbol over on the left, such as the AVEN triangle, ace of hearts or spades, black ring for anyone who really wanted that on the flag, ally for supporters, et cetera.

What does anyone think? Could somebody either make one or explain to me how to post images? (The first would be easier for you I'm sure!)

Do you mean something like one of these?

aceflag-gues1.png

aceflag-gues2.png

But to post a pic this is what you do:

- Go to tinypic.com and click browse, select the pic you want and then press the green rectangle.

- One of those 'put in the code to prove you're human' boxes pops up, fill it out and again click the green button.

- Click the small picture of the flag you just uploaded.

- Click on the now larger image and click on the option to view raw image.

- Go to the URL address at the top of your browser and copy the address.

- Come to AVEN, click in the 'reply' box as you did to put in your comment and select the icon at the top of the text box that looks like a photo. It's in the middle of the link and the envelope.

- Paste in the URL you copied and then click 'insert image'.

- Put in any text you want to AROUND the code that's now in the text box but don't mess with the code itself.

- Press 'Post'.

And wala!

I was thinking a rectangular purple flag that could have a circle on it in the righthand field divided pie style ( :cake: style? :) ) into black, grey, and white.

Not quite what you meant, but this is what that description made me visualise:

aceflag10-1.png

Which I kind of like, actually. :) And, off the top of my head, I can't recall any similar country flags.

EDIT: I also cleaned up my other designs a bit: http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=51825&view=findpost&p=1582351

Well, I've posted reminders on the LJ and DW comms (not the LJ demi one, not a member) as we're coming up to the final stretch of stage one here.

Trying to think of an idea or something that I like better than A1 to make but can't think of one - and there's no point me just putting out some combination of colours just to get more stuff out. Still thinking on it though.

Do you mean something like one of these?

Yeah! Thanks for making them :) I was picturing something a lot like the top one, although the second is cool too. In either case I think they would look better with the circle slightly smaller, and maybe with the first it would look more balanced turned so that it had black on bottom, grey on left, and white on right? None of that is important symbolically of course, I just think it might be more aesthetically pleasing for some reason.

Also, thanks for explaining how to post pictures, but I still don't get it. I'll have to have my little sister show me in person sometime I guess. "Now you click there, now you click there. No,THERE. :rolleyes: "

Okay, on the LJ reminder post here there have been two commenters so far.

- One says they do not think we need a flag, but said nothing one way or another on if they want one or not. I'd assume they're neutral but can't really say.

- Another says they think it's a good idea and, I quote...

I tried to vote on AVEN, but I couldn't because choosing flags from each category is compulsory and I only liked 2 from the 1st category and 1 from the second but didn't like any form the rest. So, instead, I'll express my opinion about it here (hoping my vote would be also counted!)

I have the ace of spades tattoed on my wrist and I consider it my ace symbol. But, to me, a flag and a symbol are 2 different things and both can be representative of our community but not necessarily together. I wouldn't like the ace of spades used on the asexuality flag because it's not representative of the whole community (most romantic asexuals prefer the ace of hearts as their symbol). I wouldn't like the ace of hearts or the AVEN triangle used for the same reason.

Moreover, I thinks symbols make flags more complicated and the simpler a flag is the more popularity/acceptance it gains.

So, I prefer a very simple flag with either horizontal or vertical lines and 3 or 4 colors/shades at most. Using AVEN's purple is OK because it's less subtle than the triangle and, esthetically speaking, it looks great with the shades of gray and black :)

Plus, the flag would be too dark or dull without the purple.

Which also leads me to the question of where/how the next poll is being set up.

Archived