Asexual Flag Voting (First Round)

standup

Asexual Flag Voting - Please Choose 3 from Each Category  

1. 1. "Simple" Flags Part One (Horizontal & Triangle)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E
    • F
    • G
    • H
    • I
    • J
    • K
    • L
    • M
    • N
    • O
    • P
    • Q
    • I would prefer not to have a flag.
  2. 2. "Simple" Flags Part Two (Vertical & Diagonal)

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E
    • F
    • G
    • H
    • I
    • J
    • K
    • L
    • N
    • O
    • P
    • Q
  3. 3. "Symbol" Flags

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • E
    • F
    • G
    • H
    • I
    • J
    • K
    • L
    • M
    • N
    • O
    • P
    • Q
  4. 4. Do you want a flag to represent Asexuality?

• Yes
    • No

I voted! I have to say, if I were to pick one overall winner (as opposed to three, or even one, in each category), I would pick "i" from the "symbols" page -- the one with the gradiented triangle over the black/grey/white/purple horizontal stripes. It's pretty and it's inclusive without being too busy or random. It feels appropriately concise.

Yellington, as explained-

Black = absence of colour = absence of sexual attraction

Grey = grey-A

White = sexual allies

(the above being the three colours present on the AVEN triangle, where the top half (the Kinsey Scale) is white and the bottom point, representing Group X (asexuality) is black.

Purple = the colour of the (AVEN) community, since the normal boards are purple and purple has become widely used in publicity, especially the parades.

Secondly, there is a new thread (linked in my sig) that addresses these kinds of issues since many other objections were brought up during the course of these threads. Please participate- the more the merrier.

Can we have "Sparkles" in each of the "Colours" ???

Most Asexuals Sparkle :D

SERIOUSLY ! :)

Sparkles would be insanely impractical. Unless what you mean is sewn-in stars or something.

kitchenwitch

I was alerted in all the places I'm connected to the community -- great job, whoever is getting the word out on FB, LJ, and Tumblr!

To clarify my position, I still don't think we as a community need or are ready to have a flag as things stand now, I think we have a long way to go in terms of visibility before it becomes in any way useful.

<snip>

To reiterate, I'd rather have no flag than one that is meaningless to a large proportion of the community because not enough time was spent on it. I doubt even the quickest of votes would provide anything in time for this year's remaining Pride events, so why not take our time and make sure it's right for next year, if that's what people want?

This^^.

I don't think our options are limited to "decide on a flag in an AVEN poll" or "don't have a flag". I think we will have a flag, eventually, but it will probably be a more organic process than what we're doing here. There are many possible ways to "choose" a flag, and the one that makes most sense to me is to just wait and see what flags asexuals end up using--if we get to a point where we have a lot of real-world events, someone will probably start using something.

I agree with Ily -- why would we rush through this process? As of now, ace gatherings that have a need for flags are few and far between. I understand the desire for a unifying symbol, but our community is often going to disagree on what that symbol is unless we let it grow from amongst us. No one disagrees that the rainbow represents the LGBT community, because it was adopted from NY Pride in the early '90s (someone posted the story, I think it was '94). Everyone saw the pictures of the LGBTs in the rainbow and said, "We should do that too!" And now there are whole flag store chains that carry rainbow flags.

How many of us are artists? In a community with this many artists, we shouldn't be designing our flag this way. Like cake and the triangle, it should come from what our community starts using, when we find need for a flag. I don't think we need a flag now. I think what we need is a unifying symbol to make us feel connected. That makes sense given that many of us have a shared experience of feeling disconnected from the largely sexual world. I don't think a flag is the thing that will connect us, though.

And like others have said, you don't have to use it. I mean I know that's not your issue directly, but you could probably not be effected by a flag at all if it were developed anyway. So hopefully it won't end up bother you too much. :(

Yes, I know I don't have to use it, but if this stupid flag thing is made official (the official part is what is really really bothering me to the point where I'm trying so hard to keep my cool about it), it still represents part of my identity. A part of my identity that I'm really fighting to make visible and understood. I am going to be associated with the flag whether I like it or not. And I don't have a choice in that matter. So yeah, this bothers me immensely.

I don't feel particularly strongly in or against support of the creation of a flag, though I do think it would be useful to spread visibility. And I like flags. If enough people felt strongly opposed to it, though (and it wouldn't have to be a majority, just a large showing), I would argue against making one "official."

One "official" flag is going to be difficult to enforce, which makes it an arbitrary rule. It creates some animosity (like those who feel they're being dictated to) and stifles creativity in our community by saying "This is the official flag." If it becomes "official", then it becomes attached to our community and us by proxy. Even those who disagree with the idea of a flag right now.

I think the compromise that's trying to be forged is being done in earnest. What if it also included the removal of the "official" status/title, and became a suggested community flag (or similar)? Then people who are hot to work on a flag can work on one, but without trying to impose the results on the entire community.

Since the word "official" seems to be irking a lot of people, I'll add in the 2.0 post that it's not going to be really official and that the voting process is more to pick a flag that people can use. I'd also like to add that I never actually used that word except for in the first submission thread, and it was used in this context:

Eventually we should be able to open a poll thread with the top flags that everyone seems to like, and then we can make it more official.

Somehow it got blown out of proportion.

Current results to "Do you want a flag to represent asexuality?":

Yes: 81.3%

No: 18.6%

Total votes: 236

Kitchenwitch, note that there is a new thread (linked in my sig) that took on the concerns of this thread (for one, the rushing and the lack of thinking through the designs).

WünderBâhr

i like the overall participation for flag/no flag poll. I think the process, while out of great intentions seemed a bit rushed and could use some more refinement. I know things seem to take a while to get completely finished around here, sometimes, but if we're going to make this what people relate to or recognize when they see "AVEN" or "asexual", then there should be as much time taken as is needed.

I also just wanted to add a teensy question: Out of 236 votes.. how many of the same people (of those who were able to, then) voted for mod elections just a few weeks/months back? ...just a thought...

I didn't vote in the mod elections last time. Tbh I'm not fussed who mods us as long as they do a good job of it, and no complaints so far. Then again, maybe that says something about me since the last UK general elections I went to the polling station and handed my slip in blank saying I wasn't going to vote for anyone.

(I think politicians are lying, manipulative, moneygrabbing, corrupt poobags- my motto "when there is someone worth voting for, I'll vote for them")

Member33070

These are lovely! I can't wait to get my own!

I'm sorry to hear that some people don't want them...I can respect their feelings, even if I don't understand it.

I tend to be more in the position that anything that helps our visibility is a good thing. I went for too long not knowing that there were other people like me. Well, I figured there was, but that the ratio was so infinitely small that we would never have anything in common, and that I wouldn't feel like I belonged there. Knowing that, I would love to have a strange flag that begs for questions from other people, so that I can explain my position and educate others. It's a lonely world to be alone. I don't want anyone else to feel broken or different, or to be automatically thrust into a label that doesn't fit. I've been called a lesbian too many times. I have nothing against lesbians at all! It's just that I don't happen to be one. It's frustrating to have the world judge you for being something that you aren't.

Having a flag, symbols, visibility - making it more obvious just how many of us there are - I think it's super important. People will take us seriously. We can tell the world that it's OK to not have sex all the time. Maybe music videos and movies won't be constantly filled with sex - or - genius! - movies about asexual relationships might start popping up.

I would love to feel included in society. I would love to go to pride parades and be able to be recognized for exactly what facet of "queer" I am.

• 1 year later...

I think I'd rather not have a flag either. Having said that, if we must have one, I like A from the first bracket as well as possibly B. The simple horizontal stripes appeal to me. I think the symbol flags have way too many components to them. It gives me the impression that we're confused about what we represent and doesn't look very professional. Most flags have three or four components/colours and not much more than that.

Hey everyone!

I'm locking this thread because we have already voted and chosen a flag over a year ago.

Note the last post on this topic is from July 2010. We call this "thread necromancy" - reviving old threads.

A flag was decided on in August 2010.

Read more about it and see the flag on the AVEN wiki: http://www.asexuality.org/wiki/index.php?title=Asexual_flag

If you'd like to continue discussing your opinions on the asexual flag, feel free to make a new topic here to do so.

Thanks! :wub:

- Birdwing

Project Team / one of the Visibility and Education Projects moderators

Archived