Third Sector Magazine

Live R Perfect

Live R Perfect

I received my copy of Third Sector today - a magazine for people working in the voluntary sector. They contacted me during the media storm for an interview.

There are quite a few inaccuracies in the article (don't know where he got the 'tripled' membership from, and the survey quoted in the New Scientist article gave an estimate of 1%, not 3%...) but it all reads rather well (makes us sound terribly organised!).

Anyhow, here's the link to the article on their site: http://www.thirdsector.co.uk/charity_news/...ws.cfm?ID=12499

And here's the text:

October 27 2004
Communications News: Publicity sees asexual group members triple
A worldwide group for 'asexuals' tripled its membership last week after a wave of publicity about members' sexual orientation brought a surge of interest.
The Asexual Visibility and Education Network (Aven) has devised a new communications strategy to build on its growing membership.
The network's website processed between 250-300 additional worldwide members last week after an article in the New Scientist provoked unprecedented publicity for the voluntary organisation.
Half of the new members were thought to live in the UK.
To capitalise on the new members, Aven will hold its first convention early next year. It has also received offers from lesbian, gay, and bisexual groups at universities to distribute its leaflets.
Aven exists to raise awareness of people who never feel the urge to have sex. It creates a dialogue among and about the rapidly emerging group of individuals who identify themselves as asexual.
The communications strategy was devised last week after meetings between leading members of the group. One of the first tasks will be to revamp its website.
The site will include a media contact section with short profiles of people willing to be interviewed, a section to encourage people to meet in their local area, and potentially an advice section for people who want to 'come out'.
Aven's most active member and US founder, David Jay, appeared on Channel 4's Richard and Judy last week and is in discussions with a journalist about producing a biography of his life.
Until recently the group's communications efforts have been minimal.
Karl Hodgetts, Aven's head of web development, said: "We must be one of the most media-shy visibility groups in the world. The coverage that stemmed from the New Scientist article was much more than we had anticipated."
The group would like to become a UK charity in the future, but is not sure where it would get funding from.
The subject of asexuality featured in most national newspapers in mid-October after the New Scientist article drew attention to the finding that 3 per cent of 18,000 people polled in the UK had no desire for sex.
Aven conservatively places the worldwide figure at 1 per cent.

LMAO laugh.gif Yours sincerely,

The "Head of Web Development" :wink: pfffft

2013 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't work, but a copy of the article can be found here.

I wonder if maybe they looked at the online poll that CNN took.

Right now it is showing that 6% of the respondents identify as asexual. Personally, I think those results are very skewed due to the nature of the audience that such an article would naturally attract.

But still ... I have to admit it makes me grin!

-Greybird

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, we do sound organised!

I'm a bit alarmed by the new members being "processed" :shock: though - sounds a bit like food processing :wink:

Archived