How do you define "love?"

PsychedX

I do like all of these definitions.

Now, let's try making this more specific, if you still want to make your opinions known:

1: How do you define "romance?"

2: How do you define "platonic love?"

3: Are there levels of intimacy involved with all sorts of love?

4: Does sex play a role in certain loves, if at all?

Feel free to contribute any more questions and ideas. ^_^

ilovebunnies

In my intimate relationships book it describes types of love. uhm it says that there are different relationship with different types of love. Theres nonlove, liking, infatuated love, empty love, romantic love, companionate love, fatuous love, and consummate love. Romantic love has a high level of intimacy and passion but a low level of commitment. companionate love has a high level of intimacy and commitment but a low level of passion, like a best friend.fatuous love is high level of passion and commitment and a low level of intimacy. consummate love has a high level of all three. Uhm this is from intimate relationships by miller and perlman, the 5th edition.

phantomwriter

I remember when I was about 8 or so and I was telling my dad about how I loved so-and-so, but he loved someone else, and he interuppted me to tell me that I didn't love him and he didn't love the other person, that we were too young to love. He said that love isn't just feelings but a commitment. That's how I've defined love ever since.

Sex is a physical action that can be included with romance and love, but doesn't always.

Romance is being drawn to a person for specific reasons that a person may not even be able to point out.

Love is caring about someone so much that you would do anything for them. It can come in many forms: you can love someone spiritually, romantically, physically, and combinations of those. You can love a family member, a friend, or a significant other. When it comes to significant others, it's love when they are willing to commit to each other.

Since asexuals aren't sexually attracted to others, they can experience romance and love without ever wanting or needing sex. For sexuals, however, romance and love tend to be tied with sex...probably because it's such an intimate action, and there's symbolism with two people becoming one with their bodies and what not. From what I understand, the pleasure experienced in sexual actions and the pleasure one feels from romance are similar, which could also be why the two get mixed up often. But of course, since people can experience sexual pleasure without romance and can also experience romance without sexual pleasure, they are two different things.

Guest member31022

I define romance, or rather, being romantic as doing things your partner likes because you want them to be happy.

So, even though buying flowers is traditonally 'romantic', to me it is only truly romantic if your partner likes flowers. If they don't, then it's a pointless action. So things such as writing a poem, or leaving a nice text message, or cooking a meal, are all romantic.

I don't want to be in a relationship with the person I love in a platonic way, basically.

There's a different quality to it - like the difference between reading a good book and listening to good music, as I think I've mentioned earlier. It's hard to define what. If one thing, I'm not poly, which means platonic love I can feel for many, romantic love I will only feel for one person at one time.

Oh yes, definately. My best friends and me are 'intimate' in the sense we will have cuddles, and tell secrets to each other, and other such things. Part of loving someone is opening yourself up to them in some way, which I would consider intimate.

Yes, but not a necessary role. I view it as a way of expressing love in a relationship, so it's not the only way to do it, but it's one often done.

Guest member31022

Love is when you do things you don't want to for someone else.

In my opinion, only if the someone else is willing to do the same back, and doesn't expect this of you (but rather, its a choice uninfluenced by things they've said/done)

Kal'enedral

You love something -activity, person, being, object, feeling- when you consider it as part of your definition of self; when not having it would cause you distress. You love what matters to you; in different intensitites.

ilovebunnies

You love something -activity, person, being, object, feeling- when you consider it as part of your definition of self; when not having it would cause you distress. You love what matters to you; in different intensitites.

I agree. To some degree you are dependent on the thing you love, but I dont think it is a bad thing.

Guest FrozenCherry

I do not still know what is love :huh: I never felt anyone is love me like a R E A L. Those who have said "I love you" have been unhonest, I think. I do not think I know what love is because there is 2 loving side. One loving side hurts so I do not hope 2-side love feel like the same.

I think my expectations for love are bigger than anyone can really even express love. But I really think when one love another it is something precious. I adore thought of love, I love feeling to be in love but I wanted to feel what is if someone loves back. It is not just saying I love you, love have to show actions and thoughts before hand and not after hand. After love human is 2 and not 1.

No that I know nothing about love <_<

Love is when my little sister is having a bad day, so I annoy her until she stops being so sadface and then I hold her until she feels better and tells me what's wrong.

Or when my big sister is having a bad day and I stay by her side even when her meanness drives all her friends away, because I know there's a huge difference between when my sister is angry-sad and the sad where she cries, which is what happens when she has a bad day and is alone.

love cannot be defined,it is bigger than us all, love is not words.

Even tho I am a sexual guy, i experience love and sex as seperate things "love is love, sex is sex" I love my asxual partner....and he "cares about me alot!" but love is more than words it is actions, it is life it is an ordinary day that you would not miss for anything in the world....I could not live in a world without love, sex is nice but I can do without it.

This thread gives me the creeps and makes me want to spit a loogie at the next couple I see holding hands, but I'm going to respond anyway. For the giggles.

What love seems to be: acts of self-sacrifice for somebody while having unrealistic expectations about how much said person is going to appreciate said acts. Some kind of thing that makes people act illogically.

What I suppose it is instead of that: some kind of pleasant feeling that makes people addicted to itself and makes people do "nice things" to each other with smaller payoffs that people would usually accept. The feeling and the acts binds people together so they remain in groups as opposed to wandering off and living alone, which would have been rather dangerous some ten thousand years ago.

I do like all of these definitions.

Now, let's try making this more specific, if you still want to make your opinions known:

Feel free to contribute any more questions and ideas. ^_^

1. Romance is something that makes people want to "belong" to each other in a way. Or something. It's the want for a long-term close relationship that introduces a different set of rules in your life, which is important to some people, I guess.

2. I dunno lol. I suppose it has something to do with that philosopher Plato.

3. Prrrrrrobably...?

4. People tell me that sex isn't just an act so I suppose it does.

What I suppose it is instead of that: some kind of pleasant feeling that makes people addicted to itself and makes people do "nice things" to each other with smaller payoffs that people would usually accept. The feeling and the acts binds people together so they remain in groups as opposed to wandering off and living alone, which would have been rather dangerous some ten thousand years ago.

This is closest to what my experience is. I know I don't want to be alone, things are much easier when someone's there to help, whether it be emotionally, financially, or whatever. It doesn't diminish it at all for it to simply be an evolutionary function or a result of preprogrammed brain chemicals. I am generally a loner, but there is so much joy in having a secure person to let go around and be angry, sad, or insanely silly.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived