The Black Ring Thing revisited

X Phoenix X

X Phoenix X

I saw this on facebook: http://marriageboycott.ning.com/page/welcome-to-the-national

I kind of liked the concept and also the look of the ring. I was considering replacing my current solid black ring with it. I know that for the purpose described it's supposed to be worn on the ring finger of the left hand, but whatever. I just thought I'd share it here because some people in the community might like it too. :D

While this seems like no great sacrifice on my part (I mean, I could get married, but I'd have to date or something first), it also seems like the kind of campaign that could really influence people. I approve!

sinisterporpoise

I don't think the people organizing this campaign are aware of what a black ring on the middle finger means. It's not that common a symbol.

And you can see they're wearing it on their ring finger. But it could work both ways. Whenever I've done this I've typically just used a hematite ring or braid a ring out of black wire.

carried in bags

I don't think the people organizing this campaign are aware of what a black ring on the middle finger means. It's not that common a symbol.

very true - i've seen many people with it, tho only embarressed myself once

This is more a thing for those of us who're in the United States. But if I were over there I'd go for it!

Strange thing, here in the UK civil partnerships seem to be enough and I don't think I've heard of the gay community campaigning for marriage. I don't know if our civil partnerships have more rights and equal status than the ones in the US or not (should look into that) but.... it's a bit odd. Still seems all separate but equal to me, though better than nothing I suppose.

I could get into this. I was looking to see if there was a branch near me but it seems to be only in the states. Then I suddenly realized that I live in Canada and gay marriage is legal here, therefor if I wore the ring few people would know what it stands for. Still, its a good idea.

you*hear*but*do*you*listen

I like this! I already have a black ring (and tell people what it means if they ask--trying to make the ace ring a more well-known symbol) but I would totally wear the equality ring on a different finger. Or maybe I should switch permanently to an equality ring, since my black ring is a mood ring painted with black nail polish :P

*killer*queen*

I like this! I already have a black ring (and tell people what it means if they ask--trying to make the ace ring a more well-known symbol) but I would totally wear the equality ring on a different finger. Or maybe I should switch permanently to an equality ring, since my black ring is a mood ring painted with black nail polish :P

Ooo, I never thought of that, painting an old ring black with nail polish, at least the nail polish would get used, lol. I do have an ace ring, the one with the aces on it, and I do like it but I'm not overly fond of hematite rings and the like. I have very slim fingers and they always seem big and clunky on me. It's not the most comfortable either but not the worst I've worn. Maybe I'll have to just make my own. But I like the ideas of the other rings too.

Ooo, I never thought of that, painting an old ring black with nail polish, at least the nail polish would get used, lol. I do have an ace ring, the one with the aces on it, and I do like it but I'm not overly fond of hematite rings and the like. I have very slim fingers and they always seem big and clunky on me. It's not the most comfortable either but not the worst I've worn. Maybe I'll have to just make my own. But I like the ideas of the other rings too.

I've been thinking of painting my silver knotted heart ring black, it would be almost perfect for an ace ring, but... It's pretty as it is and I don't want to possibly ruin it (I don't know if nail polish/nail polish remover would do stuff to the silver). So I'm thinking of getting a hematite ring (I got a black ring off of overstock but it doesn't fit me) plus it will feel more like an ace ring since it's new and I haven't worn it a lot (I've worn my heart one off and on on my left (and right) middle finger since I got it at 13.

It's a tough choice as I like my heart ring as well. :/ (I don't want to wear the ring on my right finger, even though that is the proper one, because I wear my class ring on my ring finger)

I've been thinking of painting my silver knotted heart ring black, it would be almost perfect for an ace ring, but... It's pretty as it is and I don't want to possibly ruin it (I don't know if nail polish/nail polish remover would do stuff to the silver). So I'm thinking of getting a hematite ring (I got a black ring off of overstock but it doesn't fit me) plus it will feel more like an ace ring since it's new and I haven't worn it a lot (I've worn my heart one off and on on my left (and right) middle finger since I got it at 13.

It's a tough choice as I like my heart ring as well. :/ (I don't want to wear the ring on my right finger, even though that is the proper one, because I wear my class ring on my ring finger)

A few tips...

As far as I've heard (unless this has changed) the asexuality black ring thing is on the middle finger, not the ring finger. This campaign is ring finger, but not typically the asexuality ring thing. Either way, if you get a hematite ring, get a whole bunch of them because they're cheap and break really easily (like, if you drop on a hard surface they will break). This doesn't apply to everybody, but if you're near any public caves with gift shops, they almost always sell hematite rings.

A few tips...

As far as I've heard (unless this has changed) the asexuality black ring thing is on the middle finger, not the ring finger. This campaign is ring finger, but not typically the asexuality ring thing. Either way, if you get a hematite ring, get a whole bunch of them because they're cheap and break really easily (like, if you drop on a hard surface they will break). This doesn't apply to everybody, but if you're near any public caves with gift shops, they almost always sell hematite rings.

I never said I was going to wear it on my ring finger. :blink: I was saying I couldn't wear it on my right middle because of my class ring on my right ring finger, they would rub together and be weird.

Yeah, I heard they break easily, that's one of the reasons I got a different black ring from overstock, but it doesn't fit and I don't want to order it again. Thanks for the cave tip, sadly we don't have any public caves around here that I know off.

Stainless steel black rings are also available for reasonable prices.

LaureAranel

This is a great find. It's not technically an Ace ring, but still a worthy cause. I'll probably take to wearing both. Equality is definitely a cause that's important to me. Love is love; no matter who you choose and no matter how you express it, so long as you're expressing it between mutually consenting adults.

I never said I was going to wear it on my ring finger. :blink: I was saying I couldn't wear it on my right middle because of my class ring on my right ring finger, they would rub together and be weird. Yeah, I heard they break easily, that's one of the reasons I got a different black ring from overstock, but it doesn't fit and I don't want to order it again. Thanks for the cave tip, sadly we don't have any public caves around here that I know off.

Ohhh I see. I though you meant you were going to wear it on your ring finger. My bad! I don't wear rings very often so it's not an issue I've encountered.

I never said I was going to wear it on my ring finger. :blink: I was saying I couldn't wear it on my right middle because of my class ring on my right ring finger, they would rub together and be weird. Yeah, I heard they break easily, that's one of the reasons I got a different black ring from overstock, but it doesn't fit and I don't want to order it again. Thanks for the cave tip, sadly we don't have any public caves around here that I know off.

Ohhh I see. I though you meant you were going to wear it on your ring finger. My bad! I don't wear rings very often so it's not an issue I've encountered.

It's ok. :)

I saw this on facebook: http://marriageboycott.ning.com/page/welcome-to-the-national

I kind of liked the concept and also the look of the ring. I was considering replacing my current solid black ring with it. I know that for the purpose described it's supposed to be worn on the ring finger of the left hand, but whatever. I just thought I'd share it here because some people in the community might like it too. :D

That's neat. And power to ya. I have heard of some people who are putting off marriage for that reason so it's not some crazy move. I'm guessing you are supposed to wear it on your marriage finger? Do you do this as a "couple" relationship or it's an open movement to do it if you're single too?

kitchenwitch

Yeah, they're not. I talked at length to the folks I bought mine from and they didn't know about the black ring thing.

It's a great campaign, though, started by some students at Stanford. I've been wearing mine for over a year now (on my left ring finger) and I get asked questions about it all the time. It's a great way to start a conversation about marriage equality. :)

I only wear the one ring -- I haven't found a black ring that I like yet and I don't generally wear rings or a lot of jewelry unless it's a special occasion.

Archived