"normal" relationship?

aquilegia

Can anyone give me advice on when they've been in a relationship with a non-asex. partner? I've been with my boyfriend two years and love him very much, but the lack of sex is a major hurdle in our relationship - he thinks because I'm not interested I don't love him. (I haven't told him I'm asexual) I still want to make it work though, has anyone had any success in this?

Hey aquilegia :D

I don't have any experience in this...so I really can't help you.

I guess if I was in your position though, I'd just tell him the truth, show him the website so he'll understand where you're coming from, and that it's not him.

Anyway, all the best in your relationship :D :D

really, the only way to work this one is to be honest. he has to understand where you're coming from. it will certainly clarify a lot for him.

Thanks guys, appreciate the advice! I've only just discovered (last week) that the way I feel isn't that unusual and there's even something to describe it so at the moment I don't think I'm ready to tell someone else. I want to, just nervous I guess. I know my boyfriend should know, I just need to build up the courage!

point him to this board ... it can be hard for some people to comprehend things, especially if they are letting insecurities guide their reason, the way he assumes you don't love him.

If he's gone two years lacking in both sex and an explanation for the lack of sex, then odds are you have a pretty considerate and open-minded partner(or a shameless cheat). I think he deserves to get the full story now, and it is likely that he will be quick in accepting it, all things considered.

Or someone very patient.

I think I'm gonna stop telling people I'm not interested in sex, because it seems that a lot of people get relationships when they think they're getting sex...

98slbrookes98

Honesty is the best policy. If I were in a relattionship, I'd tell my girlfriend straight away.

I've been happily married for 7 years to a sexual man. My advice is to make plain what should be obvious, that lack of sexual desire has nothing whatsoever to do with LOVE, or the lack thereof... although I have to wonder if, after 2 YEARS together, it's actually possible that he thinks you don't love him-he may be using the old "if you loved me you'd do it" idea to try to manipulate you into giving in.

And yes, at some point you need to tell him the truth.

I agree that you should tell him. Part of being in love is being open with each other. I told my boyfriend of two years that I had a lot of sexual anxiety when we first started dating, and it is really great having someone to talk to about it.

TELL HIM. Very important, IMHO. I told the guy I'm involved with currently very soon in the relationship, and it was admittedly a shock- however, it got it out of the way, and it reset expectations and such. The fact that you two have gone for two years without sex, however, makes me feel very hopeful for you and your relationship, and I hope everything goes well for you two. :)

Archived