rocking back and forth

ilovebunnies

ilovebunnies

I have this friend who is in their 20's. They habitually rock back and forth.I know they have a disabilty ,but I was wondering, does anyone know if that can cause damage to the brain? Does anyone know what causes that need to rock back and forth? I heard that people who are autistic sometimes do that but I dont think that my friend is autistic.

Well it depends, I think! It could be the sign to an underlying psychological issue, but I also think that it could just be a response to feeling fidgety and restless. Sometimes, people who feel upset do it, it is soothing, I guess. And no, there's no reason it should cause actual harm to the brain.

Best,

Nym

It is an autistic trait but it doesn't automatically mean that someone is autistic. It causes no harm whatsoever.

I have this friend who is in their 20's. They habitually rock back and forth.I know they have a disabilty ,but I was wondering, does anyone know if that can cause damage to the brain? Does anyone know what causes that need to rock back and forth? I heard that people who are autistic sometimes do that but I dont think that my friend is autistic.

I do it when I'm standing because it helps mitigate my joint pain. It alternates the weight on my joints so that it's not a constant weight. It's also a really tempting thing to do when you're blind. A lot of blind people (who haven't been trained into suppressing it) rock back and forth. We all do it on a minute level but for sighted people, vision keeps you from doing it visibly. For blind people, we don't have the vision to know keep it within invisible limits, and congenitally blind people don't know that others don't rock back and forth until someone explicitly tells them so.

Nika

That's funny; I'm gently rocking side-to-side right now as I'm reading and responding to this topic... lululululz.

Anyways... sometimes it's a familiar pattern of movement that helps to calm anxiety or stress. And sometimes it's just a habit.

Going back to maternal needs is what most think of it. Rocking being associated with mothers, comfort, security... It just has a soothing quality like how some people find hearing ocean waves of trees flowing in the breeze relaxing. If it does anything to the mind, it likely just relaxes it. Only thing harmful from rocking is if a person rocked so that their head kept hitting a wall or the like.

I do it when I'm standing because it helps mitigate my joint pain. It alternates the weight on my joints so that it's not a constant weight.

I do this very subtly, shifting my weight because I have crap knees.

I also do it while sitting if no one is around because, darn it, rocking just feels good. I plan on getting a rocking chair when I get into a bigger place.

vrazda verlaine

I do it a LOT.

I hate rocking chairs, though. I'd like to manage my own rocking, thank you very much!

It's a calming thing for me, when I'm stressed or feeling a lot of anxiety I tend to do it.

Unfortunately that's when people tend to go "Are you okay, you're rocking..."

I don't think it''d do much damage, unless it was really violent?

I can't think of any reason it would be damaging, unless it was very violent (head-banging rocking! I guess haha) or they were rocking and hitting their heads against something... I rock a LOT. When I'm anxious. When I'm depressed. When I'm sleepy. When I'm happy. But most most most when I'm anxious. Which is often. >:

In my understanding, it's an action similar to that leg-shake thing people do when they're at a desk at school or work (you know, where it looks like the person is vibrating their one leg or something). I rock back and forth or side to side all of the time - usually when I'm bored, impatient, restless, or thinking about something. I can't imagine how it could possibly be bad for anyone (unless they're thrashing their head around or rocking so hard that they fall down..? lol).

I do it and I'm not autistic (as far as I know).

It's just a habit, like tapping your foot or playing with your hair. *shrug*

Archived