Asexual Sightings

Just as the description says, "Sightings you've seen that you don't think deserve a new topic".

I have one that I don't think deserves a new topic about just that, but I still want to mention it and I'm sure others do too for other small "sightings".

I seriously hope that I didn't miss a topic already made for this purpose, I searched but....

Anyway my sister just told me on a survey she took a school demographic survey that focused on sexuality. One of the orientation choices was asexual! :D

This is great because she goes to a high school (abit a public boarding school for math and science for at most 600 kids) so the fact this was an option is fantastic!

I was listening to Mark Lamarr on Radio 2, and there was a brief conversation about asexuality between Mark and one of The Miserable Rich. I happens about 37min 28 sec into the show. see what you think (hopefully the link will work)

I was listening to Mark Lamarr on Radio 2, and there was a brief conversation about asexuality between Mark and one of The Miserable Rich. I happens about 37min 28 sec into the show. see what you think (hopefully the link will work)

Is Stephen Fry really asexual?

Anyway that wasn't positive sadly. :( but it was still a mention, which is rare.

asexual cake

Is Stephen Fry really asexual?

TV Tropes seems to think Stephen Fry is asexual, but I have never been able to find a quote to that effect.

And, oh, how I have tried.

Though apparently according to this, he claimed asexuality and then later recanted.

I didn't think to mention it here, and this happened a while ago, but lgbt_fest (a livejournal community devoted to writing fanfiction stories that focus on the experience of being queer) opened up to asexual prompts earlier this year. I've been reading through the asexual fic that came out of it--there were quite a few stories that got written.

I just signed up on the Scarleteen forums, for anyone who hasn't heard of it Scarleteen is a really good sex ed site for teens. There were a couple threads about asexuality, some dating back to 2002 when the term was just catching on, so I put up a link to aven there.

asexual cake

I just signed up on the Scarleteen forums, for anyone who hasn't heard of it Scarleteen is a really good sex ed site for teens. There were a couple threads about asexuality, some dating back to 2002 when the term was just catching on, so I put up a link to aven there.

In the book produced by Scarlateen they also mention asexuality in the chapter on gender and sexuality. It's just a brief mention, but it is explained and provided as a legitimate orientation.

In the book produced by Scarlateen they also mention asexuality in the chapter on gender and sexuality. It's just a brief mention, but it is explained and provided as a legitimate orientation.

I just ordered that book! It looks really good. Maybe I can find more references to asexuality in it.

• 2 weeks later...

There is, btw, some fic from the lgbt fest that's still being posted, or will be in the future, that was late. There's some on AO3 and they're linked to in the comments on the LJ that was linked to. Including one of mine lol but several others too that are worth reading.

asexual cake

I read Transgender Warriors recently and, while this isn't a mention using the word "asexual," there was one portion that I found interesting in the discussion of the two-spirit traditions of Native American people, which was as follows:

Does being Two-Spirit determine your sexuality? I asked Chrystos (sidenote: Chrystos is earlier described as "a brilliant Two-Spirit poet and writer from the Menominee nation"). "In traditional life a Two-spirit person can be heterosexual or what we would call homosexual," she replied. "You could also be a person who doesn't have sex with anyone and lives with the spirits."

It doesn't specifically mention attraction/desire, but I thought it was interesting that a preference (?) for not engaging in sexual activity with another person was mentioned alongside homosexuality and heterosexuality.

The FuckYeahLGBT tumbler site has blog post about us from the first of July (one member that I know of joined because of this - oh yes :D): http://fuckyeahlgbt.tumblr.com/post/760276183/asexuality-aven

That is a cool blog! Thank you for sharing the link, I like how they mention asexual another time as well.

I read Transgender Warriors recently and, while this isn't a mention using the word "asexual," there was one portion that I found interesting in the discussion of the two-spirit traditions of Native American people, which was as follows:

Does being Two-Spirit determine your sexuality? I asked Chrystos (sidenote: Chrystos is earlier described as "a brilliant Two-Spirit poet and writer from the Menominee nation"). "In traditional life a Two-spirit person can be heterosexual or what we would call homosexual," she replied. "You could also be a person who doesn't have sex with anyone and lives with the spirits."

It doesn't specifically mention attraction/desire, but I thought it was interesting that a preference (?) for not engaging in sexual activity with another person was mentioned alongside homosexuality and heterosexuality.

That is interesting.

(A quote from my ''Death Note''tm book, in the rules and guidelines...)

There are male and female gods of death, but it is neither permitted nor possible for them to have sexual relations with humans. The gods of death also cannot have sex with each other.

(lazy god of death who translated in lazy japanese who also translated in lazy english, so some words are arguable in their meaning...)

asexual cake

There was a survey for attendees of my city's pride festival recently, and under the question "How do you define your sexual orientation or gender identity?" they listed "asexual."

asexual cake

I've been looking at Trans 101 resources online and on this page they have "asexual" defined in the list of relevant terms. I'm not totally sure why, since all of the others are related to gender expression/identity, but it's still nice, I suppose. They have the following listed after it:

Not interested in sexual relationships with anyone. The asexual community is just barely peeking out of its shell, as more asexual people are standing up and saying that there is nothing wrong with them, it's not that they just haven't found the right person yet, they really aren't interested in sexual relationships.

Maybe already mentioned, Asexuality was mentioned on Family Guy once

It has? In what context and do you happen to have/know/can find a video link?

asexual cake

I was reading a book called Social Work Practice With Transgender and Gender Variant Youth, and "asexual" was mentioned in a list of "other choices" (besides gay and straight) for sexual identity in the section concerning sexual orientation and how it's defined within trans communities.

Found a blog called the Virginity Project, which talks about losing your virginity and what it means to different people. There were two references to asexuality here and here. The posts include a link to AVEN, an interview from the Guardian by Paul Cox (I know, it's already been covered) and an interview from a 105 year old woman who is Britain's oldest virgin.

Found this on Yahoo. Number 4 on the list, Charlie Brooker, is referred to as 'Almost Asexual in his Misanthropy', and talks about him not seeming to be interested in women.

Found this on Yahoo. Number 4 on the list, Charlie Brooker, is referred to as 'Almost Asexual in his Misanthropy', and talks about him not seeming to be interested in women.

He seems to be engaged to Konnie Huq, Number 1 Justine Lee Collins has been mentioned on this site a few times due to his preference for 'a kiss and a cuddle'. (on a personal note, Number 5 Mark Radcliffe! :wub: )

• 2 weeks later...
asexual cake

Found this on queer secrets.

tumblr_l6feffDdxC1qcpj7wo1_400.jpg

Awesome! There are a lot of asexual secrets on there, it's really great.

Yes, I particularly enjoyed the secret from the other day wherein someone said they only came on AVEN for the Doctor Who thread, and the secret from yesterday that used the potential flag as a back drop, thus illustrating yet another use for it.

Joe Moses, who played Snape in A Very Potter Musical and A Very Potter Sequel, did a series of interviews (in character) with the cast members of AVPS while they were rehearsing it in a series titled "The Potion Master's Corner," and in the

(who played Sirius) he mentioned asexuality at about a minute and a half in. It isn't really ...positive, but the point of these interviews is essentially to be as absurd as possible and make the cast members look silly, so.

Got a few more from queer secret. I check it every now and them so I'll probably keep posting these.

tumblr_l6kzpobotP1qcpj7wo1_500.jpg

tumblr_l6j9xcCjTN1qcpj7wo1_500.png

tumblr_l6j8oo0dMP1qcpj7wo1_400.jpgtumblr_l6j6mhQwpL1qcpj7wo1_400.jpg

Got a few more from queer secret. I check it every now and them so I'll probably keep posting these.

Good idea! They can be good, look at one today:

tumblr_l6kzyj5mSv1qcpj7wo1_500.jpg

My reaction: :D The asexual flag the asexual flag!!!!! :D :)

I would be too, I would be very accepting (If I had kids). :)