Sexual Advice from a pansexual Philiologist

Pan-GalacticGargleblaster

Okay. Just wondering, and I'm sure some others might have this question, what do you do exactly as a Philiologist? :huh:

Wouldn't a philiologist put the required apostrophe between the I and the m?

Okay. Just wondering, and I'm sure some others might have this question, what do you do exactly as a Philiologist? :huh:

I study sexual attraction :cake:

Wouldn't a philiologist put the required apostrophe between the I and the m?

i study sexual attraction not spelling, grammar, or punctuation. :cake:

I would love to ask some questions but if this is a scam then I won't bother

its not a scam and i am not a troll

What is sexual attraction then? What actually in the brain causes it?

Teagan KGB

First off, PGGB isn't a troll, even if he came off sounding trollish in these posts. I know personally that he's a bit exuberant about things he knows about. He's my fiance and he does have a degree in Philiology.

Also, for those of you who are annoyed by "experts" who've said that asexuality doesn't exist, PGGB has been told by about as many people that he doesn't exist either, being pan. And he's marrying me and well aware of what I am. He's still learning about asexuality, just like I'm trying to learn about things from his perspective, and that of mainstream sexuals.

I'm the spelling and grammar Nazi in the house, so if you're going to pick on someone for those things, pick on me. :cake: :P

First off, PGGB isn't a troll, even if he came off sounding trollish in these posts. I know personally that he's a bit exuberant about things he knows about. He's my fiance and he does have a degree in Philiology.

OK, fair enough. However perhaps part of the confusion is the word "Philiology" itself. I've never heard this word before. It's only one letter away from "Philology", but that means the study of literature and the language relating to literature (hence Sally's comment, I assume).

The word "Physiology" is closer to something that might be relevant to "sexual advice", but it seems much less likely that you'd misspell it as "Philiology" and PGGB would misspell "Physiologist" as "Philiologist".

So then, what does "Philiology" mean? :)

Teagan KGB

It is a field of Sociology specifically dealing with human sexual attraction, not only to people but also things. From philia, "tendency" or "unnatural attraction" from Greek, originally "fondness, friendship" or loving; combined with -ology, "the study of". I've seen his degree, it was a a customized program of study.

Edit: I'm hogging the computer, that's why I'm replying.

It is a field of Sociology specifically dealing with human sexual attraction, not only to people but also things. From philia, "tendency" or "unnatural attraction" from Greek, originally "fondness, friendship" or loving; combined with -ology, "the study of".

Ah I see. Yes, I should have been able to guess that, from the word.

Still, I just checked my OED and it's not there, which is surprising. Is the word new?

There is no such definition for "philiology". "Phila" or "phil" simply means brotherly love, nothing to do with sociology or sexuality.

A bi sexual, if your fiance started this thread, why doesn't he continue it. Otherwise, what's the point?

There is no such definition for "philiology". "Phila" or "phil" simply means brotherly love, nothing to do with sociology or sexuality.

Well, think of terms like gynephilia, androphilia and (yes) the term that gets all the media attention. Even if it's not strictly correct etymologically, the suffix "philia" can clearly be used to denote sexual attraction. My guess is that philiology is a newly invented word about the study of such attractions, in general.

Okay guys... :rolleyes: The guy says that they are a researcher of sexual attraction. How about we just leave it at that. Not everything is on the internet. Maybe philiology is a growing or lesser-known sub division in people studies (phsychology/sociology)?

So, PGGB, why don't you start out giving us some background on what you do in general. Have you done and research projects in the past? If so, in what? What are your ideas on sexual attraction? Are you offering information to asexuals or are you more here for the friends, allies and partners? And so on and so forth...

Okay guys... :rolleyes: The guy says that they are a researcher of sexual attraction. How about we just leave it at that. Not everything is on the internet. Maybe philiology is a growing or lesser-known sub division in people studies (phsychology/sociology)?

Agreed. I was somewhat curious about the word but, as far as I'm concerned, that has now been answered.

So, PGGB, why don't you start out giving us some background on what you do in general. Have you done and research projects in the past? If so, in what? What are your ideas on sexual attraction?

In particular, PGGB, you might want to check out the following recent thread.

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=50897

I'd be interested in your thoughts. (Might be easiest if you post over there rather than here, but up to you.)

hmm, well, I know asexuality is not a "fad" for many of us. On the other hand, I seriously doubt it has anything to do with evolution. I don't think those are the only 2 options.Maybe some small percentage of any population is asexual and maybe it's always been that way. Since we don't have statistics on asexuality in previous generations of humans (we barely have any on the people living right now) it would be pure speculation anyway. To say nothing of what are the mechanisms, how does evloution apply, etc.?

(Hope this doesn't sound like I'm picking on you! It's good to study this stuff.)

Reposted in the correct account:

The most recent study I have been with is actually a study on the (not my term but some of my colleagues term) "fad" of asexuals. The team ended up with two separate sub-groups: the ones who think it is a fad and the ones, like myself, who think it has to do with evolution in the fact that mating is not a necessary practice. You see, we are sexually attracted to others for a few main reasons. First and foremost, mating in the past our species has needed to breed to sustain the human species. But now with advances in technology have made it so we no longer need the breeding rituals we have. The second reason we are sexually attracted to others is for dominance, or we show "who is on top". The largest male is the one who has the most sex. Again as we reach a point of equalization the need for dominance is reduced.

Also I work with federal police agencies to profile sex offenders.

And to answer an earlier question, the portion of the brain that leads to sexual attraction depends mostly on the person. Such events as early childhood molestation can have profound effects on how the individual processes sexual attraction. (I'm not saying anyone here has been, and the effect of such happening can be individual to the person.) But the basics of sexual attraction come from just outside the area that controls the fight/flight reflex.

oneofthesun

You see, we are sexually attracted to others for a few main reasons. First and foremost, mating in the past our species has needed to breed to sustain the human species. But now with advances in technology have made it so we no longer need the breeding rituals we have. The second reason we are sexually attracted to others is for dominance, or we show "who is on top". The largest male is the one who has the most sex. Again as we reach a point of equalization the need for dominance is reduced.

Are you arguing that we've evolved beyond all that? That's a stretch IMHO - Modern civilization hasn't been around that long.

I am just saying that there is a possibility that we may be heading that way the study only ended up with two hypothesis as the study is still underway there is no conclusion yet but i would like to get off this subject and go back ask me other questions i feel as if i am being gang raped not that i would mind that as i am pansexual but in this way there is no pleasure so ask away as long as it has nothing to do with my study of asexual's

50 Cent Piece

i feel as if i am being gang raped not that i would mind that as i am pansexual

Woah.

I think I had a question but for the lfe of me I can't remember what it was suddenly.

I am just saying that there is a possibility that we may be heading that way the study only ended up with two hypothesis as the study is still underway there is no conclusion yet but i would like to get off this subject and go back ask me other questions i feel as if i am being gang raped not that i would mind that as i am pansexual but in this way there is no pleasure so ask away as long as it has nothing to do with my study of asexual's

How many people are writing these posts? The messy paragraph above -- which hardly sounds like it's written by someone with any kind of degree -- is not at all relatable to the previous one, which had actual sentences and made some sort of loopy sense. Perhaps you and your fiancee are trading off using your name? And somehow I doubt that a person who works with police agencies on profiling would use a name like Pan-GalacticGargleblaster and post this weird stuff on an asexual forum. But who knows.

No one who actually worked with a real police department and knew what the hell they were talking about would ever make such an ignorant and wildly offensive statement. TROLL.

No one who actually worked with a real police department and knew what the hell they were talking about would ever make such an ignorant and wildly offensive statement. TROLL.

We are definitely being toyed with here.

Topic closed pending admod review.

- sonofzeal, SPFA moderator

Thread re-opened.

Be aware that calling someone "troll" is a potential violation of the AVEN Terms of Service, and may result in a warning if it occurs again. Be aware that excessively crude comments are also potential violations of the AVEN Terms of Service. Be respectful in how you treat other users. Be respectful in the language you use. Nobody has received an official "warning", this time, but try to make sure this doesn't happen again.

- sonofzeal, SPFA moderator, on behalf of the Admod Team.

(On a more personal note to PGG - AVEN generally has fairly high expectations for spelling and grammar compared to most forums I've been on. This isn't a part of official policy, and won't get you in trouble, but it will affect your credibility as an "expert". In any case, I recommend you spend some time looking around AVEN and getting to know the community, and building a reputation here, before setting yourself up as an expert.)

Curious how this was studied and how the team only came up with: fad and evolution. :blink:

oneofthesun

Well Pan-GalacticGargleblaster, if you want to give advice I would suggest trying the eHealth Forums... After all not many asexuals are looking to have sex.

Archived