Good, Yet Bad...

Oka-sama

I really, really, really like to swim. So now that my neighborhood pool is open again, I can't wait to dive into that water and splash around joyfully...

Oh, wait.

I don't have a swimsuit.

Well, I do. But it's from last year, and I use all my swimming suits to the point where they wear thin by the end of the summer. I'm terrified of it breaking. Usually, I hate my breasts, because that's not who I am. However, I make an exception for swimming season. Of course I can't use a binder-thing underwater, so I have to live with it. This all leads to today...

After going to a counciling session called kids in the middle, my mom took me to Target to get a new swimsuit. I had a secret agenda, of course: buy a pair of boy's swimming trunks. And I did. It made me extremely happy that my mom went along with it. It seems as if I'll have to wear my old swimsuit top this year, as the world is apparently built for super-thin people.

What annoys me is that I'm too young to have a mastectomy (I think that's how you spell it) so my chest is going to be obvious in the water. Even before coming here and discovering my genderlessness, I always felt uncomfortable with the way boy's and girl's swimsuits were so...seperate. All the girls wore girl swimsuits, all the guys wore trunks. I always envied men because trunks looked so much more comfortable that girl's suits.

Do other transfolk who haven't had surgery swim? What do you do?

This year girls swim trunks came into style. I was SO happy about that! I don't know how you are supposed to wear normal swim bottoms without stuff...showing. I guess you already have boy's swim trunks though, those are just longer.

You could try a small women's bathing suit top, it should cover a lot more than a junior's bikini (and they're ALL bikinis for juniors!) It doesn't have to match the swim trunks, just get solid colors. Or wear a t-shirt made out of thick cotton and a dark color.

I really, really, really like to swim. So now that my neighborhood pool is open again, I can't wait to dive into that water and splash around joyfully...

Oh, wait.

I don't have a swimsuit.

Well, I do. But it's from last year, and I use all my swimming suits to the point where they wear thin by the end of the summer. I'm terrified of it breaking. Usually, I hate my breasts, because that's not who I am. However, I make an exception for swimming season. Of course I can't use a binder-thing underwater, so I have to live with it. This all leads to today...

After going to a counciling session called kids in the middle, my mom took me to Target to get a new swimsuit. I had a secret agenda, of course: buy a pair of boy's swimming trunks. And I did. It made me extremely happy that my mom went along with it. It seems as if I'll have to wear my old swimsuit top this year, as the world is apparently built for super-thin people.

What annoys me is that I'm too young to have a mastectomy (I think that's how you spell it) so my chest is going to be obvious in the water. Even before coming here and discovering my genderlessness, I always felt uncomfortable with the way boy's and girl's swimsuits were so...seperate. All the girls wore girl swimsuits, all the guys wore trunks. I always envied men because trunks looked so much more comfortable that girl's suits.

Do other transfolk who haven't had surgery swim? What do you do?

Sounds so much like me! I love swimming too, but I hardly ever do that, because it's just impossible to find a swimsuit that I could even imagine wearing, not to mention feeling comfortable in it <_<

Back in my middle school days there was a fashion of swimsuits that had a top (NOT a bikini-like one) and shorts, and that's when I bought the only swimsuit I've ever liked. I wore it for years, but eventually it (obviously) became way too worn-out :(

Now I can't find that kind of swimsuits anywhere - I've looked for a swimsuit like that for years (of course not all the time, but anyway... ), but all I can find is bikinis (yuck!) and those "whole-body"-swimsuits, that don't cover enough of my thighs and don't flatten my chest at all :mad: Not to mention that I just don't like the way they look...

So the few times when I swim nowadays, I do it in a sport top and small shorts...

I've worn swim trunks and a tank top over a two piece suit for a few years now. There's still the annoyance of not having my chest bound, but I deal with it; I'm not gonna give up going swimming because of that. The tank top makes me feel a lot better about it.

There's a binding swim top at Underworks that I just discovered; I might have to order one once I have the money.

prettyeyes

Well, at summer camp there would always be girls who wore board shorts and a racerback style tank top for a swimsuit and depending on the colors one wore that could look either masculine or feminine.

BazingaDragon

I have a friend, and she's not trans, but she always wears a guys' suit. Everyone else says she looks good in it, so I don't see the problem.

KieranTheWerewolf42

This summer I'm getting trunks, and one of those rashguard things, and I might wear a sports bra underneath for support purposes.

I'm not female but I'm been on HRT long enough that I now have problems with swimming as a guy, but then I had issues with being without a top beforehand anyway, although I have the slight advantage that I don't swim in pools I swim in the sea.

Anyways, you could try a rash vest as a top, they're things that surfers wear (yep I also surf) they're made out of similar material to swim suits (not sure what it is, that stretchy cloth) and the guys ones tend to be shape less and squash everything down, although for me that's easy. You do see a lot of female surfers around here just wearing board shorts and a rash vest instead of a normal swim suit, well when not surfing it's cold enough to need a wet suit all year, from the ones I know they're happier with it as it's a lot less exposing,

Archived