How social are you?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• I am gregarious
    • I am fairly social
    • I am anti-social
    • I am misanthropic

This poll is closed to new votes

Anti-social, I really find very difficult or imposible to star a conversation with someone that I am no used to. Sometimes I really think that is a miracle that I have some friends and that I can hando out with them.

AFlyingPiglet

Anti-Social. I do like people but they drain me of my energy really quickly and I love it when people are not around.

None of the above!

I'm mostly a-social (not anti!), with the occasional desire for companionship and friendship.

if anti-social can be interpreted as.. against our current society... then i'm anti-social

None of the above!

I'm mostly a-social (not anti!), with the occasional desire for companionship and friendship.

i agree. i am not misanthrophic, as i like humanity in theory, but i usually don't like to be around most of its members.

Fairy social. I have friends that I talk to and go places with, I go out, even if it's not that often, and I don't ignore someone who starts a conversation with me. I usually am not one to start conversations though.

I voted "antisocial", but it's really between "antisocial" and "fairly social". It depends. I kind of swing back and forth between the two.

However, for the majority of my life, I have been extremely antisocial. It's only in the last four years that I began being social at all, really.

I can relate to a lot of what other posters have written here.

I don't think I've ever been that social. Even as a kid. I wasn't exactly a loner, because I always did have friends...but sometimes I'd feel like a loner on the inside...does that make sense? Because I felt like wasn't extremely close to anyone. I mean, they were my friends but not 'best friends out of the whole world with whom you can tell everything to". I kind of envy relationships like that, because I admire those kinds of bonds and I've recently realised that I'm actually kind of incapable of forming them myself. Part of it is probably to do with the fact that I've always lacked a dimension that most other people have, and so I couldn't relate to them as well as they could to each other.

I don't really take the initiative, I think that's a main contributor to my unsocialness. It's not that I don't want to...I just don't really know how. I don't know what questions I should be asking people to get to know them better or get close to them. I keep thinking that they won't be interested in what I have to say, or that they would find me annoying, or that they won't be able to relate and think that I'm strange - especially when I'm around new people, but with people I know I loosen up a bit (though it takes me a while and also the other person has to be the active person.) I don't really ask people to go with me to places because I think that they probably wouldn't want to. So basically I really overthink things and then start acting socially awkward, and I know that it messes up the relationships I have with people. It has over the last year of uni, most definitely.

When I started uni last year, I thought to myself that I'd try to be more social than I had been in high school. So I did, and met some pretty good people, and things were great at first. But I couldn't keep up the new me, my lack of self-confidence and awkwardness eventually kicked in, and I managed to stuff up quite a few potential friendships. I'm shy and not really that confident, but it probably all comes across as "cold" "unfriendly" or "snobbish".

I mean, I can make friends okay enough and we can get along great for a while, but I find it hard to open up to someone and get really close to them. Which means that at first we can click really well (because I'm pretty friendly in social situations when I need to be) but then they start to want to get closer and they inevitably find it hard to get through to me. A relative once described me as a "book that can't be opened". Which I guess is true. I find it hard to let people in and trust them. I want to, but for some reason I just lack the ability to. Probably has something to do with the fact that as a kid, there were times where I tried to get to know people but found myself either disappointed, hurt or excluded. And now I carry that with me. I'm scared I'll get hurt if I let people know me, so I just don't get too close to anyone. And also I've become used to being like this over the years and with being on my own, so it's hard for me to change. For a while I tried to, but in the end I ended up as the person I always was.

I don't know why I do this, but the more someone tries to get close to them the more I will act like I'm indifferent to them (when in reality I do care about them a lot) or I'll just end up (not always intentionally) doing things that distances myself and them - avoidant behaviour/running away from feelings, perhaps? I guess I find it hard to express myself and show my true feeling to people, and I don't tend to show people that I need them. I think in some instances people have ended up feeling I was just indifferent to them. (Not that they'd ever read about it here, but I really am sorry for hurting them. I didn't mean it.)

And it probably has something to do with my low and depressed-feeling periods - sometimes I feel too drained and socializing is the last thing I want to do.

Wings of a Dream

I chose fairly social. I can be rather shy around new people and so not interact with them much but as soon as I know someone enough, I relax and crave their company. I like meeting new people, I like chatting, I like joking, I like hugging my close friends, and there are some who I like to peck on the cheek occassionally.

I also get lonely fairly easy. I like being in the company of others even if we're not talking. Just having another's presence close to me is something that makes me feel instantly better.

So, yeah, hardly a social butterfly but I do enjoy being around other people.

AmoebaAlice

I voted for anti-social.

I'm social within my circle of friends...but it takes a long time for me to consider someone a friend, and to be able to trust anyone. But once you're in that circle, you'd have to attempt to kill me for me to kick you out of it.

I'm a listener, and I've had several old ladies tell me that while I might be quiet, it's not because I don't pay attention. All through high school whenever someone had a major problem I was the one they came to because while everyone knew I didn't talk much, they also knew I listened really well, and if I gave advice, it's was serious advice.

Outside my very small group of friends, I don't say much, I don't like talking with people I don't know (in real life, forums are obviously an exception) I hate small talk, and suck at it... and if I had a choice between 'having fun' with people at a gathering, or being on my own, I'd prefer to be on my own.

It's hard to get me to social gatherings :lol:

--Mei

TheMelbourneMethod

I wasn't exactly sure what to put, but I suppose I'm fairly anti-social as I don't particularly enjoy spending much time with others and it annoys me when people try to befriend me.

I love being around people, in crowds and stuff I mean, but I find it very difficult to form friendships with people. If there's an interesting conversation going on, I like to join in, but after a while people just lose interest in me. Of course, I could be more social (I suppose), as I'd like to be, but I've never met anyone with whom I had comon interests. Nobody. (I'm very...ach. Alone isn't the right word. I just don't fit in. Anywhere.)

(I used to be shy; it's slowly turning into misanthropy.)

Archived