Malawi "Gay Man" is actually a Trans WOMAN

Elliott Ford

Elliott Ford

This article outlines the truth of the Malawi trial of two lovers, inprisoned for 14 years hard labour for being "gay men".

Many of you will have heard of this story but the global media is hiding the truth that Tiwonge is a woman. If it wasn't bad enough that she and her lover were arrested at their engagement party, since then her identity has been categorically erased. Tiwonge was exiled from her own family for being trans and now she has been sentenced to years of hard labour in prison for the "crime" of sexual activity between males.

I am writing a letter of support to:

Tiwonge Chimbalanga and Steven Monjeza,

Prisoners, Chichiri Prison,

P.O.Box 30117,

Blantyre 3,

Malawi

and I urge as many of you as possible to do the same. I will be enthasising my sincere apologies to Tiwonge that people worldwide are disregarding her identity and calling her a man.

Those people were recently pardoned:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/africa/05/29/malawi.gay.couple/index.html?hpt=T2

How unfortunate though, as you get to the end of the article you find out that they were given physical exams to look for signs of sodomy and pshychological exams while in prison, both against their will.

I haven't seen anything though mentioning that one is transgendered.

Awesome that they have been pardoned. :cake: But it seems that it took a meeting of their president with Ban Ki-moon for that to occur. Still, yay.

This report states that Tiwonge Chimbalanga is indeed trans.

Archived