Should a mosque be built close to ground zero?

PiF

there are plans afoot to build a mosque quite close to ground zero

many loved ones of those who didn't make it are in uproar....whilst some say this is an iconic structure to show new yorkers and muslims stand together to show extremism is not welcome

watch the link http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=37037303

what do you feel ?

AkiraCoinTykiGotBetaMuffin

Its just a building, people in uproar need to shut up and get a life.

There are some places that it's inappropriate to have certain buildings. I'm sure people wouldn't be too happy with me if I built a cathedral in Mecca, for instance.

That said, we have to remember that the people that did the attacks weren't representative of Muslims. Religions get blamed for these things when the perpetrators are acting with their own interests and warped views. If a mosque is going to be built in NY anyway, and it's got legal approval, it should be allowed to be near ground zero.

Its just a building, people in uproar need to shut up and get a life.

To an extent, I agree with you. Personally, it doesn't/wouldn't bother me in the slightest, but at the same time, I can see the other side of the coin. Normally I'd disagree with political correctness trying oh-so-hard not to step on anyone's toes... but only if you are classed as a minority group or whatever, but this time, isn't there an easier place to build one?

It's a little bit ironic, but not all Muslims are terrorists; there are extremist groups in all religions.

P is for...

personally i think it could be argued that the ability to build a mosque next to Ground Zero is exactly the sort of thing America is supposed to be about anyway, so as far as i'm concerned, more power to 'em.

I'm all for it. It's not like building an oil rig atop Ground Zero. Now that would be a slap in the face.

I'm all for it. It's not like building an oil rig atop Ground Zero. Now that would be a slap in the face.

I hope I'm not awful for laughing. But that was funny.

I agree. A mosque is not representative of the terrorists. They are a small minority of extremists that identify as Muslim, much to the dismay of the larger Muslim community I might add.

It's rather insensitive to ask for planning permission anyway - aren't there other places they could build a mosque? Try asking for permission to build any kind of religious structure in a Muslim country and most of the time you'll get short shrift. The Koran requires its followers to be good neighbours, it's hardly that.

oneofthesun

personally i think it could be argued that the ability to build a mosque next to Ground Zero is exactly the sort of thing America is supposed to be about anyway, so as far as i'm concerned, more power to 'em.

What he said.

I have nothing against a mosque in downtown Manhattan.

It's important though that we understand that a point was raised here about the possibility of building a cathedral in Mecca.

The Saudis and the entire Muslim world would be up in arms at such a proposal. The culture there is reactionary and conservative. What is often allowed in the liberal west cannot be reciprocated in the Muslim world.

There is no inclusionist ethic practiced in the Middle East or Hindu Kush.

It's important though that we understand that a point was raised here about the possibility of building a cathedral in Mecca.

The Saudis and the entire Muslim world would be up in arms at such a proposal.

FYI, it wouldn't get that far. Non-Muslims aren't allowed to set foot in Mecca.

I'd hope America would be above that sort of thing though. I don't see any good reason to categorically ban mosques (or Muslims) from Manhattan. Wouldn't that be unconstitutional?

I would have no problem with it, for a lot of the reasons already mentioned. (but then I have no connection to New York city or to any religion)

Just becasue some Muslim countries might be less tolerant of other religions is no reason for us to return the favor.

Almost 3000 people died in the attacks, I think it's understandable that the survivors and the relatives of those who died may still be grieving. No, you never get over the death of a loved one, you learn to live with it and for many they didn't even have the remains to grieve over. They are the ones who deserve our consideration and compassion.

If people believe this will be a reminder, then these people should be far more unhappy about the rebuilding of the towers themselves.

A mosque buried in a 15 story community building is hardly the same as rubbing it anyone's face.

Almost 3000 people died in the attacks, I think it's understandable that the survivors and the relatives of those who died may still be grieving. No, you never get over the death of a loved one, you learn to live with it and for many they didn't even have the remains to grieve over. They are the ones who deserve our consideration and compassion.

Of course, but to not want a mosque would be an incorrect projection of grief and anger. It's not Muslims that caused 9/11, It's a very small minority of extremists. It's kind of like hating all Christians cause Fred Phelps protested at your relative's funeral.

Although Christ told His followers to 'Turn the other cheek', and to 'Love your enemies', human nature being what it is, this does not happen very often. Yes, it was a small minority involved in the atrocity, just as it was a minority involved in Lockerbie but I would never dream of telling those relatives that their attitude was wrong.

many americans still wrongly associate all muslims and all of islam with the 9/11 bombings

TheMuffinMan

Many Brits make general vague statements about the disposition of Americans using weasel words that are impossible to prove.

Just a little aside:)

Since the event, many people i have come into contact with who are Muslim have literally apoligised for it, even years after.

When I rented my house out to a Turkish Pilot 6 years after the event, as we walked though the house, bless him, he veered me on to the subject and then like the others, started apologising. It is the feeling of association i guess, even though each time i never made any connection between these civil people and the terrorist, I was just concentrating on the business in hand. By the time i got to dealing with the Turkish Pilot, I recognised the signs as he took the conversation in that direction.

I thought about it, then realised i have done the same in spain at the hotel check-ins, criticising and apologising on behalf of the British Nation for exporting our hooligans.

Many Brits make general vague statements about the disposition of Americans using weasel words that are impossible to prove.

now now muff on that basis they would be impossible to dissprove

altough the last two paragraphs of this probably make it clearer http://www.cnn.com/2009/POLITICS/06/02/us.muslims.poll/index.html

oops

o well http://www.commongroundnews.org/article.php?id=27207&lan=en&sid=1&sp=0&isNew=0

there can be no doubt there is a huge mistrust of muslims by the u.s. and from a muslim point of view many feel the u.s. is anti muslim

a first point of adressing this would be for the u.s. to defend thier freedom by doing it in no other country than thier own

if the only american a muslim see's is in uniform and with an machine gun giving them orders and searching them..you can understand that perception

in the same way the u.s. has not done enough to stand shoulder to shoulder with muslims against radicalism in any way

i do feel if the mosque was allowed to go forward it would send a clear message..all are welcome...extremists are not

I disagree with just about everyone but Tan. Although permission's now been given by some committee or other so it will probably be built.

There have been many car bombs, many other kinds of attacks, many people killed and maimed, attempts (including the one that would have happened in Times Square had the bomber not been too incompetent to set it correctly), many Islamic terrorist groups discovered since 9-11. The would-be Times Square bomber was a Pakistani trained in Islamist camps in Pakistan. All this activity is NOT just a bunch of individuals who happened to get together and who have nothing to do with the religion of Islam. They are radical Islamists, just as there are radical Christians and radical other religionists. The difference, in this century at least, seems to be that the other radical religionists don't feel that killing everyone -- civilians included, because to them there are no civilians, everyone's an enemy combatant -- is in direct pursuit of their religion, and unlike radical Islamists, they don't feel that their religion should be the ONLY religion in the world.

Every time there's an attack somewhere, people write into our local newspaper saying that Islam is a religion of peace. The newspaper prints that and many of my fellow liberals say, "Oh yes, that's true, it's just a very small group of people who are upset by XYZ." BS.

The mosque could have been built somewhere else, not steps from the WTC. This was not only insensitive, it was deliberate.

I agree it was deliberate Sally

but for me I do feel it was deliberatly planned to be there to re-enforce peacefull muslims can live side by side with anyone

if we are talking about bombs and innocents..timothy mkvie ring a bell and he wasn't muslim..or the kkk..or the militia's?

extremism is not particular to muslims...but certianly the press would have you believe that

I agree it was deliberate Sally

but for me I do feel it was deliberatly planned to be there to re-enforce peacefull muslims can live side by side with anyone

if we are talking about bombs and innocents..timothy mkvie ring a bell and he wasn't muslim..or the kkk..or the militia's?

extremism is not particular to muslims...but certianly the press would have you believe that

McVeigh, the KKK (who aren't operative anymore), and the militias (who don't do attacks, they just arm themselves and mutter together) don't go outside their own country. They don't fly planes into other countries' buildings, they don't travel to other countries to plant bombs, they don't travel to other countries to blow up buildings. They don't want to influence or take over other countries (or everyone), they want to take over their OWN country. That's not quite so worrisome to the rest of the world.

I have to say that will be some comfort Sally

when mckvie blew up that building killing all those innocents...at least he was made in america?

the video link i posted was the first time i had seen it..it was worrysome that some americans wanted all muslims tattoed on thier arm a serial number

that level of ignorance surely can't be tolerted again?

FallenAngel

I honestly don't care. I'm indifferent about where a mosque can be built in NYC. I just don't think people should make such a big deal about it. It's a religion. A group of people shouldn't be suppressed because of what they believe in. The Muslim terrorists are only a small percentage of those who believe in Islam.

I think more mosques should be built in NYC though. I only know of a few in all 5 boroughs...

I have to say that will be some comfort Sally

when mckvie blew up that building killing all those innocents...at least he was made in america?

the video link i posted was the first time i had seen it..it was worrysome that some americans wanted all muslims tattoed on thier arm a serial number

that level of ignorance surely can't be tolerted again?

I've never read anything indicating some Americans want serial numbers tattooed on anyone's arms. Although some Americans are idiots, just as some people from other countries are idiots.

The point about McVeigh being American and blowing up an American building is that he wasn't bent on destroying the rest of the world. He wanted to get rid of American government. Britain wasn't threatened; France wasn't threatened; the Middle East, Asia, not one place in the rest of the world was threatened. You didn't have to worry that he would get on a plane and blow up an English building. He was our problem, not the world's problem.

The Islamic terrorists are the world's problem. We have no idea where they'll come from and we have no idea where they'll go next.

agreed Sally...

the video link i posted further up will show the tattoos on arm wish

how do you break down the feeling that all muslims are suicide bombers?

as long as the secret services insist we are all at risk..which lets be honest...more people die from smoking cigarettes, driving cars, drinking alcohol..then we will always have issues

at some point most people have to say..you know what...i know there are bad people all over the world..but that doesn't mean i should judge them all dangerous to me

until we can do that then many will hold onto the ignorance of hate and suspicion

Archived