How did you come across the term 'asexuality'?

sunny000123

Did You Find out 'Asexuality' Through the Internet?  

1. 1. How did you come across the term "asexuality"?

• Google
    • AVEN website
    • school (whether middle, high school, college, university)
    • Friend/Acquaintance told me
    • Not sure
    • Pride Centre (GLBTAQ) (or similar groups, please specify)
    • Other (please specify)
    • Wikipedia
    • Parents
    • Other Relatives (Siblings, aunts, uncles, etc)

This poll is closed to new votes

An article on MyYearbook.com over 2 years ago.

I didn't identify myself as asexual until January 2010.

It was three or four years ago. This dude who added me to his watch list on deviantART was asexual, and had been talking about it on his journal. Being naturally curious, I googled the term to find out what it meant and came across AVEN. It was the first time I'd found a term that really fit me - before that, I was "straight, but not interested. Though in saying that, some members of my own sex are quite attractive too, but... no. Really have no desire to do anything with them either." if asked.

At least 'asexual' is a simpler way to sum it up, ha.

mindsword

Wikipedia. was doing research on sexuality so I could debate it with my friend when I found the term. found the link here and then i never looked back.

Vampireseal

I had quietly thought of calling myself "asexual" for lack of a better term back in high school. Years later, I saw an article in the "Weird News" ( <_< ) about asexuality and thought "Thank God, I'm not alone!"

A tv show called 20/20 is where I found out about asexuality. :cake:

A tv show called 20/20 is where I found out about asexuality. :cake:

That's where my Mom found out about it! Then she told me.

It was being discussed on a morning radio show when I first heard it. Looking back, it now seems spectacular that I was a commuter who had to wake up and leave so early with a crappy car with no CD player :P

A friend of mine on a forum mentioned it. C: She talks about her asexuality on there often. It was about a year and a half before I decided to apply the term to myself, though. xD;

I don't completely remember, but I think I found out about it by a roundabout route on Livejournal.

• 2 weeks later...
sunny000123

I chose other. My Mom was the first one to tell me about it from watching the 20/20 segment a year or so ago. But since I was being stupid for some reason, I never searched for the online community and was just like: "Yay, I'm non-sexual! Asexual doesn't sound like the proper term... they use that to describe slugs and snails re-production" (Yea.... I know better now) But after a couple/few months I fell right back into "I'm usual/weird... I know mom mentioned something about it but what if it's only 10 people?". When talking with an online friend and I told her I was non-sexual she asked if I was asexual and I said the same thing about biology (snails/slugs. I thought I was sure since I love snails and slugs and I read they where asexual) then she linked me to another term that is the proper term for this kind of re-production and from that I searched asexual on Wikipedia to make sure and boom, went to AVEN.

My full story since you said you where interested in reading them is here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=49629 at the welcome lounge.

So, It was my Mom that told me, you should have parents as an option.

Thank you so much for the input! I will add parents.

I chose other. My Mom was the first one to tell me about it from watching the 20/20 segment a year or so ago. But since I was being stupid for some reason, I never searched for the online community and was just like: "Yay, I'm non-sexual! Asexual doesn't sound like the proper term... they use that to describe slugs and snails re-production" (Yea.... I know better now) But after a couple/few months I fell right back into "I'm usual/weird... I know mom mentioned something about it but what if it's only 10 people?". When talking with an online friend and I told her I was non-sexual she asked if I was asexual and I said the same thing about biology (snails/slugs. I thought I was sure since I love snails and slugs and I read they where asexual) then she linked me to another term that is the proper term for this kind of re-production and from that I searched asexual on Wikipedia to make sure and boom, went to AVEN.

My full story since you said you where interested in reading them is here: http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?showtopic=49629 at the welcome lounge.

So, It was my Mom that told me, you should have parents as an option.

Thank you so much for the input! I will add parents.

Thanks! Aww, now I wish I could take my vote back.....

I find heard about asexuality when listening to Triple J (an Australian radio station) when they were doing a feature on it.

I was translating a survey and 'asexual' was part of their options for sexual orientation. Kept wondering for a while, then googled it and found AVEN. Voted Other.

snufflebottoms

I searched the internet to see if I wasn't the only one that did not want to have sex and I found out that I wasn't! It directed me straight to AVEN. :D

Jillianimal

A teen forum. One of their orientation choices was asexual.

Tetraploid

Someone mentioned it in another forum - it caught my eye so I investigated and shortly ended up here!

Lichen Fairy

Other: documentary about Hitler

Wikipedia. I don't exactly remember, but I was probably poking around articles on sexuality, and ended up on the article for asexuality.

I coined it myself as a way to describe myself back around 1970, but I had no idea that it would ever be accepted as a real identity or shared by anybody else.

For decades I thought I was the only one.

-GB

PartialDerivative

I had Googled some other sexuality and was just following one link to another, reading about all the different types, and it was in that path somewhere. (So I put both 'Google' and 'other' in the poll, since I didn't directly find it from Google, but wouldn't have found it if not for Google.)

GirlDreamer

I just stumbeled over the expression on a norwegian forum a few weeks ago... Someone was asking what was wrong with them, and someone said they probably were asexual, and someone also told them to go to AVEN. So, one google search later, I found aven and found out all about it :)

Mistress D.

I had a dream that made me wonder why I didn't like guys or girls(At least sexually). I freaked out for a week and looked it up on google. I found this website and read the definition of asexual and I said, "That describes me!" I was worried something was wrong with me until i had the identy that I was asexual. Now I understand that I don't have to worry because there are more people out there like me.

I found it via Live Journal! There's this thing called Fandom Secrets and I saw some posts mention asexuals and started to wonder what that meant, looked it up and went 'hurm' and from there..... well I joined eventually lol.

I've since been pointing people here when I see confused asexuals or people who think they might be or have no idea and give it as an option they should consider as could be or could not be since. Didn't notice before, but a fair few of us seem to pop up on there lol.

A friend of mine had mentioned it, but it didn't mean anything to me at the time. A few months later I came across the term on the internet (livejournal, maybe? I've forgotten), where I found a definition.

• 4 weeks later...
TheChronicWanderer

In the movie Mysterious Skin, one character refered to another as asexual.

That wasn't really correct though, the character really seemed like he had PTSD to me.

I sort of "made it up" (the sexuality, not the reproduction I knew of from school) years ago and joked to my mom and myself for a while that I was that (did stop, though), but I finally realized last year (last semester, really) just how well it fit, so I Googled it to see if it was an actual term and came across AVEN. I read the FAQs and Asexual Perspectives and took a tiny peek at the forums. I was hanging out at Gaia, like Sciatrix, at the time, too, so I looked at the Lifestyle Discussion forum for a thread on it and found one. Very lucky. I stayed on that for a while before Tanzaria convinced me to come here and actually join the forums.

[Marked "Google", "AVEN website", and "other".]

Wow this is it for me almost word for word.

Archived