The Revolution will not be Sexualised! (sfgate.com)

Live R Perfect

Live R Perfect

I like this article so much I'm gonna post the whole thing! :D

Despite having been declared nonexistent, asexual activists are coming out of the closet in droves.

Is Morrissey replicating? Perhaps. According to a new study in the latest issue of the Journal of Sex Research, one out of 100 adults identifies him/herself as asexual. The study, conducted by psychologist and human sexuality expert Anthony Bogaert at Brock University in Ontario, found that 1 percent of respondents agreed with the statement "I have never felt sexually attracted to anyone at all." "The figure raises the intriguing spectre of a repressed, underground minority on the verge of bubbling up into the mainstream," Sylvia Pagan Westphal writes in a recent issue of New Scientist, a British magazine. "Are we about to witness the birth of the asexual revolution?"

Wouldn't that be fun! Cooler than abstinence; hotter than celibacy. Mind, people saying they've "never felt sexually attracted to anyone at all" is not the same as my saying that I hate everyone. No. Unlike misanthropic me, asexuals are normal, friendly folk whose sexual preference happens to be no preference. Judging from their online forums, they seem to be a sociable lot with a good sense of humor. The Asexual Visibility and Education Network (AVEN, for short, found at asexuality.org) includes an online store peddling everything from a T-shirt declaring "Asexuality: It's not just for amoebas anymore" to a baseball cap labeling its wearer "ineffable." Ineffable. I like that. It makes me want to cuddle asexuals and feed them dinner mints. Ineffable is such a benign word! Finally, a sexual minority the conservatives can't vilify. Oh ... wait ...

"Question: What do you call a person who is asexual? Answer: Not a person. Asexual people do not exist." -- a quote from the annual magazine of the National Religious Vocation Conference, as cited in New Scientist.

Is there no peace? New Scientist goes on to point out that researchers studying those who don't have sex assume their subjects are unhappy as a result of their "hypoactive sexual desire." That may be true for the frigid masses, but it doesn't reckon on people who just aren't interested in sex. With anyone. Ever. In discounting this minority, scientists have finally found common ground with the religious right: They agree that asexuals don't exist.

Despite having been declared nonexistent, asexual activists are coming out of the closet in droves, with sites like AVEN providing a playground for the orientation that dares not speak its name because it's so damn ineffable. AVEN forums are filled with discussions of "A-pride" and the notion of being "A-sexy." A-men, chilluns! AVEN isn't the only support network on the Web. There are other venues. Where? Find the URLs yourselves, you lazy bums. While you're looking, check out the Yahoo! group Haven for the New Amoeba, Live Journal's two asexual communities, the dating site Asexual Pals, and information troves like the Frigidarium, the Organization for Antisexualism, the Asexual Society and the Asexual Manifesto. I checked Meetup. com to see if there was a Bay Area asexuality group. There is, but it has only two members. People, people. Why is the Bay Area so oversexed? If Bush sneaks in for another four years, you might be forced to reorient yourselves. Get started now. Props to Metafilter.com for the heads up on this story. Heads up, geddit? I make sex joke. Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck.

I think they like us :wink:

Yeah. Too bad they didn't catch on to what ineffable means to us...... :P

boa

I would have thought it was a pun and partly, as the dictionary defined it, a word that means "unspeakable or very hard to describe". It seems hard to describe to me.

WAHOO! We have fans! *feels the a-pride*

Cate

VivreEstEsperer

I feel very flattered after reading that article!

The author liked the word ineffable :)

Kate

Archived