Asexuality: normal or symptom of another problem

Marc

Do you think your asexuality is a symptom of a medical or psychological disorder  

1. 1.

• My asexuality is not a symptom of a medical or psychological disorder
    • My asexuality is a symptom of a diagnosed medical or psychological disorder
    • I suspect my asexuality is a symptom of an undiagnosed medical or psychological disorder
    • I'm not sure

This poll is closed to new votes

Here's a first attempt at a poll. I hope I don't mess it up.

I was wondering how many people thought they were normal people

who just happened to be asexual as opposed to people with exisiting

medical or psychological conditions where asexuality was one of the

symptoms.

In my case, I am schizoid (DSM-IV 301.2). I have all of the symptoms

of DSM-IV 301.2, some of them profoundly. Also, I've noticed people

in this forum who have claim to have Asperger's disorder. There are alot

of medical conditions that can cause a lack of sexual desire. Depression is

a common one.

Whatever normal is. I've never been interested in having sex. I do exhibit some symptoms of Aspergers, but I could also just be socially maladjusted or an introvert.

I also think that if we start saying asexuality is 'caused' by psychological problems then we're asking for trouble.

Cate

By that same note... I have Aspergers, but I don't consider it a "psychological problem", just a part of my personality. Everyone's personality has good and bad traits, right? And I think some of the AS qualities could be quite desirable in the right situations. It's not like it's some negative trait that can be removed, it's ME. I believe that if you were to "cure" it, I wouldn't be who I am now. And I rather like myself...

That said I do think there is a link in my case, but one doesn't equal the other in everyone. And I consider neither of these to be a problem. It's not like I'm running around killing people, so why worry?

I was careful to use the clinical word "disorder" rather than "problem".

Though I suspect maybe "condition" would have a less negative connotation.

I believe that alot of mental health practitioners would indeed consider

asexuality to be a disorder in and of itself, and many of them probably

think it can be cured with medication or psychoanalysis. But at least

progressive medical professionals will recognize that a disorder isn't

a problem unless it causes the patient undue distress.

I don't think that being asexual as a side effect of some other

medical or psychological condition invalidates the asexuality. If

I did I wouldn't be here because my asexuality is definitely a symptom

of a larger disorder - it comes with the package.

I'm "normal" (I hate that word). I have all my hormones and no physical or mental illness. However, I'd again like to point out that asexuality isn't about a lack of sexual desire, some asexuals have it, some don't.

I also think that if we start saying asexuality is 'caused' by psychological problems then we're asking for trouble. Cate

Yes, I agree Cate. Being intersexed means that my asexuality would fall into both the physical and psychological category of this poll (that's how I voted). Yet, I really believe that my asexuality would still be present regardless of my medical traits. Maybe, even my intersex could be seen as a result of my inner asexual nature and that my DNA is just its physical manifestation

Sometimes we colour things with the wrong scientific brush. It depends entirely on your initial viewpoint. I often see sexual peoples behaviour as being part of a 'psychological and physical disorder' lol Ah well, it takes all kinds.

I'm "normal" (I hate that word). I have all my hormones and no physical or mental illness. However, I'd again like to point out that asexuality isn't about a lack of sexual desire, some asexuals have it, some don't.
The front page of this site describes asexuality as Asexual: A person who does not experience sexual attraction. I'm interested to know how you differentiate between sexual desire & sexual attraction?

I'm not really sure what it is "caused" by, and I don't really care either. I don't want to change or anything like that. I just take it as part of my personality and myself, os that is all there is to that. :)

The front page of this site describes asexuality as Asexual: A person who does not experience sexual attraction. I'm interested to know how you differentiate between sexual desire & sexual attraction?

We've had this discussion before but I can't remember where any of the links are. Anyone? Anyway, if you read some of the stuff in the Info section you'll see that there are a number of asexuals that experience sexual desire. Sexual desire is a sex drive, you get "horny." This is just on a physical level and can be relieved without sex, with say, masturbation (which a number of asexuals do). Sexual attraction, however, is a link of sorts. If you have the sexual desire but no sexual attraction, you don't have the link between the physical desire and relieving it with another person = have sex. Sexual attraction is a want to do something sexual with someone. It's a way of looking at someone, I guess. This is also different from romantic attraction, of course.

Hope that clears it up. I really wish I could find that link...

I'll go for choice #5 - It never dawned on me to investigate, dissect, pursue, diagnose or worry about.

Marc - I had a similar poll back in the day but asked whether people thought their asexuality was reinforced by something else.

I am glad to see that you said you don't think having asexuality as the result of something else invalidates the asexuality. We shouldn't think so either, as opposed to elitism as we are. Types of asexuality, why one has it, none of it should matter.

I'm thinking asexuality can be both a normal orientation or a result of trauma , illness or emotional problems.

For me, I don't really know. I'm open to the truth either way whatever it may be.

I have a condition/health problem (Over fertility) which is said to cause lack of sexual desire. I took meds before which did control it and I didn't not develop a sexual desire during this time.

Chameleonthing

If my asexuality is due to a psychological disorder, it's repressed, I have no knowledge of it, and it's therefore null and void. I wouldn't put it past my brain to do something like that, though.

quietbraggadocio

I'm normally an asexual, the tramua came from trying to be straight. Although half the sex stories my friends tell seem far more tramua inducing than anything I went through. :x I'd have to say I'm probably more normal than 98% of the people I know, and 80% more normal than the poor souls that had the misfortune of sleeping with them must be.

98slbrookes98

I don't think I am sexually repressed. Sex just doesn't intrest me. If I were acting in a play it would be different beause I am not being myself but in real life I never was interested in it.

• 1 year later...

bump

[i've bumped 5 or 6 of the older polls because I want to use the results (stats only, not individual replies) in a seminar I'm presenting at my UU church at the end of the month. Yes I know these are not scientific.]

boa

• 3 years later...

'My asexuality is not a symptom of a medical or psychological disorder'.

• 5 months later...

I reakon that about 30-25% of "asexuals are sexual people in denial or who are somehow repressing there sexuality

recently started up a poll similar to this one hoping to prove it, showing some kind of trend i geuss making a proper survey to adress this issue would take a lot or research and alot of people especialy if you have to skip around the whole fact that humans have a tendency to.... embelish the truth.

That said there are obviously going to be asexuals suffering from issues which have no effect on there sexuality 'asexuals before the fact" not the ones ive described above who i geuss are "asexuals after the fact"

Just straight normal ish asexual

I'm as "normal" as normal can be (which, for the most part, is not very normal, usually). There's nothing WRONG with me.

Archived