Gender-Neutral Scent

prettyeyes

I don't know about you guys, but I am obsessed with smelling good. I have a very strong sense of smell and have sensory overload sometimes in crowded places just because of all the smells mixed together. A lot of the worst offenders are women's perfumes.

Anyhow, I'm kind of looking for a new body spray/perfume/cologne that doesn't smell in a way that would tip someone's opinions of my gender one way or the other . So many women's colognes smell like flowers and are obviously femme and so many men's colognes, while I love the smell of them, are obviously men's which would weird out quite a few people I know. So! I would like to know if there's any scents that work well for either gender and don't seem strictly one or the other. I know some exist that say "For men or women" on them, those might work.

Guest member31022

Lush does some interesting ones, which are also (if you get the solid perfumes) rather cheap too, and I use these. There's Vanillary and Karma, which could be girly, but at the same time, they are really unique scents, so aren't instantly girly if you get me.

As for some which I've heard are wonderful but have no experience of myself, there's Black Phoenix Alchemy labs (www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com). They have perfumes based on Lovecraft's work, as well as Neil Gaimans and others. For instance, they have a fragrance based on Tristran from Stardust, which is described as (a rather poetic description): "Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint."

One based on Arkham described as "A shadowy, unapproachable forest of maple, birch, dogwood, cypress and pine softened by a garland of New England wildflowers: bergamot, columbine, rue anemone, blue violet, creeping phlox, bloodroot, toadflax, and pixie moss."

And another based on the cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland: "Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender."

The only thing is they're rather expensive, but they definately sound as though they wouldn't smell particularly manly/girly.

KieranTheWerewolf42

I use a body spray/perfume that smells like clean linen/cotton that my gran got me at The Gap for X-mas one year. That's fairly neutral. I also use a coconut one too.

KieranTheWerewolf42

Also, most companies may send you a free sample if you contact them if your're unsure because they sell over the internet.

I have a very strong sense of smell and have sensory overload sometimes in crowded places just because of all the smells mixed together.

Same here! I often smell things that no one else can...it's a curse! I like girly scents though, as long as they're not overpowering. I only have 2 perfumes, one is green apple and one is grapefruit. I'll be interested in gender-neutral scents that people mention, though. My recommendation is to go to Sephora where they have a ton of perfumes and just smell different things. Your nose might get tired after awhile though. ;)

Lush does some interesting ones, which are also (if you get the solid perfumes) rather cheap too, and I use these. There's Vanillary and Karma, which could be girly, but at the same time, they are really unique scents, so aren't instantly girly if you get me.

I agree with the lush products. Karma actually smells in between to me. It doesn't have a overly feminine smell or a total masculine smell either. It's rather refreshing. ^_^

Miselle Serafine

I agree with the lush products. Karma actually smells in between to me. It doesn't have a overly feminine smell or a total masculine smell either. It's rather refreshing. ^_^

I wear Karma as my everyday fragrance (Chloe at night, but it's rather girly) and I love it! I can personally vouch that it's delicious, unusual and everyone makes comments about it (but you have to be brave to wear it). It doesn't smell too femme, in my opinion. Just spicy and interesting. And it's not too expensive either. Good choice, people. ;)

ChaliceFlame

How about essential oils?.

I've decided when my perfume stash is used up, I might not buy any more.

Mostly due to potentially bothering other people.

Condemned Valour

I would suggest scents based on woods (a favourite of mine happens to be sandalwood) or musks. Woods in particular have been historically more gender-neutral. And of course, keep it light. Both sexes have a horrible tendency to spray on too much.

ChaliceFlame

I do have to question, why can't a man smell like flowers?.

Who decided that a part of a plant that even has male parts, is only feminine?.

Condemned Valour

I'm not certain on that account. I do know that it was once more widely acceptable for men to enjoy flowers. Such conceptions have died out within the past century, though.

I'm not certain on that account. I do know that it was once more widely acceptable for men to enjoy flowers. Such conceptions have died out within the past century, though.

I kind of wished guys smelled more like flowers at times. :unsure: Cologne is a little...too much D:

I'd love it if a guy smelled liked flowers, or vanilla. :wub:

Condemned Valour

I kind of wished guys smelled more like flowers at times. :unsure: Cologne is a little...too much D:

Oh, I agree. Most modern-day perfumes and colognes are distasteful to me.

Oh, I agree. Most modern-day perfumes and colognes are distasteful to me.

I actually only like one brand of men's colognes and perfumes appealing and they're in the body shop. They could work also for gender neutral scents. The mens section isn't overly masculine either, I love it.

Guest member25959

My Mom said that she had found a Gender-Neutral Cologne at Christmas, but she forgot to get it.

I'm not sure what the name of the brand was?

For some reason, I tend to like how people smell with just their own natural scents--when clean, of course. I like hair that smells like hair, not mangoes; skin that smells like someone, not something.

But as to scents specifically, I've always preferred the "inbetween" scents (and even a little to the male side of those) regardless of my physical gender.

I have one big bottle of lotion from Bath & Body Works called Chocolate Amber (now discontinued, sadface). It has to be one of my all-time favorites--it's a dark, musky, weird scent ("amber"), but with a hint of sweet chocolate mixed in! Nom. And not to mention that some of my male friends have liked it enough they wanted to wear it (and did). I also have a giant bottle of this moisturizing stuff I use for my psoriasis, but it actually smells really good, even though it's a little to the girly side of gender-neutral--it's oatmeal and shea butter. The last one I can think of off the top of my head is a flower scent, but somehow not a girly one... Moonlight Path or something--the one from Bath & Body Works before they changed it to just fruit and flowers. I still have some; it's basically night-blooming flower smells with a hint of musk.

As for some which I've heard are wonderful but have no experience of myself, there's Black Phoenix Alchemy labs (www.blackphoenixalchemylab.com). They have perfumes based on Lovecraft's work, as well as Neil Gaimans and others. For instance, they have a fragrance based on Tristran from Stardust, which is described as (a rather poetic description): "Dust on your trousers, mud on your boots, and stars in your eyes: redwood, tonka bean, white sandalwood, lemon peel, patchouli, rosewood, coriander, and crushed mint."

One based on Arkham described as "A shadowy, unapproachable forest of maple, birch, dogwood, cypress and pine softened by a garland of New England wildflowers: bergamot, columbine, rue anemone, blue violet, creeping phlox, bloodroot, toadflax, and pixie moss."

And another based on the cheshire cat from Alice in Wonderland: "Grapefruit, red currant, dark musk, Roman chamomile, delphinium, and lavender."

The only thing is they're rather expensive, but they definately sound as though they wouldn't smell particularly manly/girly.

These sound extremely...interesting. Especially the Cheshire Cat one. I think I'll have to try one or two (or three or..) at some point when I've got money :rolleyes:

Thanks~

I have a very strong sense of smell and have sensory overload sometimes in crowded places just because of all the smells mixed together.

Same here! I often smell things that no one else can...it's a curse!

So I'm curious...

I recently discovered that my (relatively new) boyfriend has a very active sense of smell. He can identify and find people close to him in a crowd, or know when someone is trying to sneak up on him just by smell.

Do either of you experience this? If so, can you explain further/give me some more information? I'm very interested and would like to learn more about this.

Now, see, the odd part is that I apparently have the ability to not smell like anything (or at least not myself), thus providing a kind of "cloaking" from his "radar." This is a bonus for me because, in addition to his sense of smell, he's highly observant, and yet I can sneak up on him pretty much whenever I want. I think this is due, at least in part, to the fact that I am extremely quiet in passing (generally, I make no noise when walking, breathing, etc.) and am also highly observant. For example, this morning I was standing right next to and slightly behind him for a good few minutes before he "found" me :ph34r:

Guest Stray

Personally, I love the smell of vanilla over almost all other scents, but then again I haven't delved too much in perfumes and colognes. It's just such a soft and subtle scent that's oddly attractive. I've never heard of Lush till now, but I'm really interested from reviews I've seen now. I'll definitely get a sample of it.

I really like some of the other ideas on here, too. I've heard of Essential Oils and it seems like they've got a huge amount of choices from what I've seen. I've also heard of the longevity of their products, so that's something to take into consideration. I'm really glad Kieran brought up that many companies supply free samples. I haven't tried that method of browsing since I was 11

I typically use Old Spice, but the lotion I use when my skin is dry is a fairly strong smelling body butter from Bath & Body Works called Sensual Amber. It's kind of vanilla-y to me, although the bottom of the container says 'an exotic scent of pink lotus petals enveloped in golden amber'. I have no idea what it means by that since when I think of amber I think of fossilized sap, and I don't think a flowers color has anything to do with how it..or its' petals smell, but..

The point is, though, I see it as a pretty gender-neutral scent, though it is kind of strong.

I personally don't like strong smells, perfumes or colognes. I do tend to prefer perfumes for women over men's colognes, but don't wear any myself. I really hate it when I'm in the vicinity of some guy who reeks of cologne (or hair stuff). I enjoy spending time with women I find attractive and smelling their perfume on me afterwards.

I'm mostly into earthy smells. Outside of that I like Lavender and Myrrh oh and Pine, which I know might be weird and lemon.

Guest Stray

I personally don't like strong smells, perfumes or colognes. I do tend to prefer perfumes for women over men's colognes, but don't wear any myself. I really hate it when I'm in the vicinity of some guy who reeks of cologne (or hair stuff). I enjoy spending time with women I find attractive and smelling their perfume on me afterwards.

Ah, I can totally level with ya on that note. I ironically have a poor sense of smell, yet I could still smell the guys in school from where they'd walked down the hallway minutes earlier. I knew guys who'd brink body sprays and cologne to school who'd spray it on at school. Boys' restrooms really sucked back in those days

So I'm curious...

I recently discovered that my (relatively new) boyfriend has a very active sense of smell. He can identify and find people close to him in a crowd, or know when someone is trying to sneak up on him just by smell.

Do either of you experience this? If so, can you explain further/give me some more information? I'm very interested and would like to learn more about this.

Yep, I can do that too. I can also tell who an article of clothing belongs to if, say, there was a party at my house and people left their jackets on my floor. I can pick out which one belongs to who based on smell. I feel kind of creepy for my abilities sometimes. XD And I get intoxicated by really good smells and it makes it hard to concentrate. For example, if you use a good-smelling shampoo it just smells slightly good for most people right? My ex-gf's hair smelled so good it drove me insane from across the room. :lol:

Fish That Swims

If you're feeling flush, I would try "A Scent" by Issey Miyake. It is VERY green. I put some on from the tester bottle whenever I'm at the mall.

Condemned Valour

Personally, I love the smell of vanilla over almost all other scents, but then again I haven't delved too much in perfumes and colognes. It's just such a soft and subtle scent that's oddly attractive. I've never heard of Lush till now, but I'm really interested from reviews I've seen now. I'll definitely get a sample of it.

I really like some of the other ideas on here, too. I've heard of Essential Oils and it seems like they've got a huge amount of choices from what I've seen. I've also heard of the longevity of their products, so that's something to take into consideration. I'm really glad Kieran brought up that many companies supply free samples. I haven't tried that method of browsing since I was 11

Vanilla is a favoured scent of mine as well. I combine it with a couple of other scents to suit my particular tastes in a fragrance.

On a side-note, a small cap-full of vanilla extract tastes very good with hot chocolate.

I like the ones that smell like baking, especially cookies. Or the ones that smell like spices. I never associate them with either gender. They are more sensory to memory.

ChaliceFlame

I'm going to try the vanilla extract in hot cocoa.

Archived