Just curious

human_being

Virgin is such a silly, human-fabricated term. In a modern sexual sense, it is impossible to define, and from a biological sense, cannot be indicated or proven to exist or not. Is it a state of mind? A record of sexual action(or lack thereof?) What is it, really? It's nothing.

If you engage in coitus, no matter the duration, then you are not a virgin(the only discression of this is whether or not it was consentual whether or not to consider it a loss of virginity or not)

I think that's pretty clear-cut right there.

Edit: Less graphically descriptive.

I think perjorist was referring to things like oral sex. Some people consider that to be sex, some don't. Some people don't consider anal sex to be real sex, either.

Cate

Silly Green Monkey

What if the sex is largely unsuccessful? Is the person still a virgin?

Virgin is such a silly, human-fabricated term. In a modern sexual sense, it is impossible to define, and from a biological sense, cannot be indicated or proven to exist or not. Is it a state of mind? A record of sexual action(or lack thereof?) What is it, really? It's nothing.

If you engage in coitus, no matter the duration, then you are not a virgin(the only discression of this is whether or not it was consentual whether or not to consider it a loss of virginity or not)

I think that's pretty clear-cut right there.

Edit: Less graphically descriptive.

Not so simple. Anal? Oral? Born-Again virgins? Rape victims?

I'm not very up on Born Again Virgins. I've heard of them and I know they plan to not have sex again until they're married, but do they consider themselves to be virgins in the traditional sense? Do they tell the people they date that they've never had sex or that they've stopped having it? I just don't know much about it.

Cate

I'm not very up on Born Again Virgins. I've heard of them and I know they plan to not have sex again until they're married, but do they consider themselves to be virgins in the traditional sense? Do they tell the people they date that they've never had sex or that they've stopped having it? I just don't know much about it.

Cate

It varies. Some claim that god has restored their virginity (A la the movie SAVED!), but most have just resolved to change their ways, and put the past sexual activity behind them. Whatever that means.

But is virginity a state of mind, or a physical state, or an imaginary concept? It can rarely be "proven" physiologically. Most women break their hymens long before engaging in coitus, and with men there is NO indication of virginity.

I agree that it's a difficult thing to pin down. ... So I have no answers for you. I'm not sure if I'm a virgin or not, but I say I am because that's how I feel. Granted, I haven't had loads of sex and am just saying I'm one, but what has happened *I* do not count as sex. And since I have to live inside of me I'm going with the 'I'm still a virgin' answer. I don't know why it makes any difference, though. I suppose because it's easier to answer the question, 'Have you had sex?' with 'No,' than 'That depends on what your definition of "sex" is.' I would not define my experiences as sex, but I know some people would. Yet another reason not to get too graphic with people.

Cate

What if the sex is largely unsuccessful? Is the person still a virgin?

Nope. If a penis is in the vagina, then there is no virginity.

Not so simple. Anal? Oral? Born-Again virgins? Rape victims?

Anal virginity is considered a different thing entirely. Oral is not. Born-again virgins is the stupidest thing I've heard in a long time.

And as for rape victims

(the only discression of this is whether or not it was consentual whether or not to consider it a loss of virginity or not)

That would have to be judged on the individual persons views. I, personally, think they would no longer be virgins, but that's simply how I view it, because I think virginity is a stupid idea anyway.

An Anatural Virgin

Uh, human_being? (hand raised meekly) I'm new here - but if you're the oldest "virgin" and it's a title with some kind of "prestige", "monetary worth", heck even some jewels - for you or anyone - I'd have ya beat. You can have the prestige - just let me have a little cash. Oh, there may be a new monarch,...yet not I. (Phew! But I still can tell you I wasn't really trying to lose my virginity I was running away from having it taken)

41 yo and no popped cherries. Couple sucked apples though - but alas, I would take this wonderful "title". Ooops! I guess I won't ~ I believe there has been an coup de main in the Castle. If I were the actual "oldest" I would of course abdicate in your favor if you'd be in the least interested. No, you'd have PLENTY of time if losing your virginity was your goal to being the one alone longest - in my case anyway. I don't think it is as it isn't mine. Sensual companionship? vs. Sexual preponderance seemingly emplaced in entrenched societal "Relationships"? Not bad if one can obtain them with one's real character and identity.

You aren't alone at all. There's someone for you. It's kept me going. Seems like some nice people to find out about what ever "it's" about here. I'm attempting to understand. I have all the scientific information - but not actually any people information. Patience still I guess. Yearning and acheing and "what is the matter with me?" Maybe since there are more ways of being in touch with others and I think there's more like myself and people here we're all just ahead of our time? Keep the faith!

To the tune of Carol King,... signed~~ A Natural Virgin

Be Well.

I wish I were. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence though.

Never had a meaningful relationship which I would classify as "more than friends" though, so I'm with you on that one.

Archived