POLL!-Asexuals and Obssessive compulsive disorder

Annie

How many Asexual people have obssessive compulsive disorder too?  

1. 1.

• yes
    • No
    • I just hate bodily fluids!

This poll is closed to new votes

I used to think I was obsessive-compulsive until I was put on a medication that accidentally MADE me obsessive-compulsive. Wowwee, was that unpleasant. But my house, Jeep and workplace were so damn clean!

I do not, however, like bodily fluids. They are grody.

Cate

As I mentioned on the other poll, I'm a former mild obsessive compulsive, so I answered "yes".

However, almost no trace of the disorder is left in my thoughts or behavior, and aversion to bodily fluids isn't my reason for being Asexual. I simply do not feel the drive to engage in intercourse that most individuals seem to.

Fixed your 'fluids'.

Cate

I voted "I used to have moderate OCD when I was an adolescent, and I don't think I have it anymore, at least not as badly, but ask me in six months when I've finished withdrawing from my medication that I came to rely on more for anxiety than OCD."

I should probably note that I'm not currently on any sort of medication for OCD (or anything else, since I'm no longer on Zoloft for my anxiety and depression), so its unlikely that OCD medications have any effect on Asexuality either (in my case, anyway).

Vicious Trollop

I'm definitely not -- like Jeremy, I am a filthy slob. But I am a bit o-c when it comes to making lists. I have lists for everything, including a list of every movie I've ever seen in order of my preference which took a month to create and I continue to tinker with it. There is really no parallel for this disturbing behavior in any other area of my life.

Liiiiiists. I have loads of those. *pets lists*

Cate

Even when I was obsessive-compulsive, I was never terribly obsessed with neatness. I'm actually terribly disorganized most of the time, or at least it looks that way from the outside. I usually know where everything is though, so it doesn't cause any real problems.

Right now I have a big pile of textbooks and notebooks on the floor around my computer that I have to dig through every morning before class.

I could have a long story about my experiences with this...but I don't really have the energy to write about it.

That said, you seem to be barking up the tree of some connection with distaste of a lack of cleanliness in which case you ought to know that alot of OCD doensn't have anything to do with that--it can form around all sorts of behaviours and thoughts.

And there seems to be plenty of people who don't like being un-clean in some way--whether just a neat-freak or outright OCD)that can't help being sexual still.

I've even heard sexual obsessive-compulsives talk about how that can be one point of release.

My Partner has OCD.

He has to just think about dirt and that sends him to wash his hands. They get very sore and chapped in the Winter.

I spend a fortune on loo paper, cotton buds and bleach.

Libra

Sacred has a point. I was just thinking of posting something similar. Some of the most common obsessions are about germs, but also about inappropriate sexual thoughts, religion, harming others, etc.

• 3 months later...
biggreenmonkey

A bit old, but I was just thinking about this yesterday, so I had to comment.

I'm not a formally diagnosed OCD, but I do suffer from excessive nail biting/skin picking, which is a subset of OCD. Also, ocassionally I just get sort of impulsive and feel the urge to destroy/pick at something.

The shrink-people labeled me with OCD as a kid, but they also labeled me with ADD, ADHD, Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, Bipolar disorder, and antisocial personality disorder, so what they have to say isn't very reliable, is it? Besides, the main shrink in question just wanted to put me on medications and be done with it, and the school officials wanted to be able to pigeonhole me so they could excuse my weirdness with a simple label. I don't know what disorder I have, and personally I don't think it matters, because I'm just me.

I've never been diagnosed with it.

I'm not a clean freak.

But I do bite my nails, pick my skin, grind my teeth and obsessively check that my doors are locked when I leave the house. I can be a mile down the road and feel the need to go back to check that it's locked. Even though I know rationally that it always is. Nothing to do with being burgled recently either, I did it before then, and it still didn't help :evil:

Princess Brat

I am but I got medicine for it that works pretty well.

I checked doors and washed my hands for ages.

I think my cleaniness-obsession partly has to do with the fact that my Mom is obsessive about cleaning and I learnt early how much things in the the world there is that are "unclean"

I normally don't blame my parents for things but in this case I think it has at least partly to do with it.

Yes, I do have Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder.

In the "anxiety disorder" I mention a few of the "compulsions" I have. I am seriously very obsessed with being organised. (This is not the same as being "clean organised" -- my room is not clean, and while it bothers me, I have nowhere to put half the stuff that's on my floor.) I get very paranoid about leaving my vehicle in public places, even when I know there is no danger. And there is more, but I'd rather not go into it.

Liiiiiists. I have loads of those. *pets lists*

I do too.

• 2 weeks later...

I suppose I have. In fact one might think that I'm not obsessed by cleanyness and organisation, but the truth is that if there's something that can't be done perfectly (the way I see perfection, thus it might be different from what others may think, adding more confusion), then I will simply not do it. If I could, I would.

Examples of compulsions: everything must be ordered symetrically, just symetrically, so there are maybe tons of books on the floor, the desk, the shelves, not neatly ordered, but they wil be disposed symetrically.

When I have to wash myself it take me about 3/4 of an hour at least, because there is no point at flushing my body quickly with some water, that would not be usefull. Add to that that I HATE to be wet (or dirty), so I need at least 2 towels, if not 3, and I don't have to explain how much I dislike rain or mud or touch unclean things.

I also bite my nails, but I restrain from doing that to the flesh, I grind my teeth too, touch my hairs and roll them up, or scrape my head, I often bite my lips or the inside of my cheeks, resulting in mouth ulcers, which calm me for a week or two.

That's already enough.

• 4 years later...

I don't have OCD. I brought it up because OCD is an interesting topic to some of us.

I don't have the kind where I have to clean things up like crazy. I just sometimes read and a word or phrase "hooks" itself in my head and I spell it out or think it repeatedly with the syllables. If it's odd, I go crazy and could do it for hours at a time in the back of my head. I guess it's more compulsive than obsessive? And when I wash my hands/brush my teeth, both hands have to be equally wet.

silentdreamer

I've never been diagnosed, but I do believe I have mild OCD. A messy room makes me feel stressed out and awful and I will often clean, even when I don't want to, because the urge just takes over. I noticed I started getting this way in my young teens and tried to tell my family, but no one really listened. I didn't want it to take me over, so I fight against it as much as possible. So, often my brain is screaming for me to clean or organize something, but I'm able to ignore it for the most part. I also get anxiety about leaving my room when I know or think the rest of the house is messy.

In a weird twist, my room is nearly a pigsty. It's my one place that I don't have to keep super clean or neat. I keep my floors clean, but everything is in heaps of junk in the corners. Oddly, I know how to find anything in those piles of crap too. It's my safe place for junkiness. Kinda reminds me of that episode of friends where Monica has that closet full of junk as her secret messy place.

I'm able to ignore these feelings completely when in other people's houses or anywhere that's not where I live. I may notice a mess really easily, but I have no need to clean or organize anything.

Archived