Which Hand Do You Write With?  

1. 1.

• Left
    • Right
    • Ambidextrous, but favour the right
    • Ambidextrous, but favour the left
    • Completely ambidextrous

This poll is closed to new votes

I and my parents are righties but my younger brother and sister are ambi-favoring right. vive la difference...I can only steer a bicycle with my left hand alone though.

Right-favouring ambi. I can't write very well with my left hand, but then again, my handwriting is pretty awful in the first place. When I type, my left hand does a lot more than my right hand, probably about a 5:1 keystroke ratio. I can't throw very well left handed...but I can't throw very well period.

I wish I was totally ambidextrous, though. That'd be cool.

I am mostly right handed, but my left hand is far from useless which is why I put down right favoring ambi, I can write with my left hand, not very well practiced tho so sometimes it looks funny (doing a crossword with a pen in both hands is definately fun/strange) while I throw better with my right hand, I can usually throw paper wads and crushed up water bottles into the trash can across the room with a 90% or so rate using my left hand, my left hand does more typing, heck, for some reason I only use my index and middle finger on my right hand but on my left I use all my fingers, when painting miniatures, right hand holds brush, left hold figure. would love to be fully ambidextrous, hey with some practice I might pull it off.

LEFT HANDED FENCERS ARE EVIL!!!!

AH! It completly reverses me! AH! but...eh.

Alot of my friends are left handed...so i can't say anything. Plus...it helps me adapt better i guess.

But it's still annoying

The world champion snooker player (I can't remember his name), plays with a variety of hands..well, sometimes he uses his left hand for cueing, sometimes his right. I find that amazing; such dexterity in either hand.

• 1 month later...

I'm right handed pretty much completely. I'd like to be left handed though. I taught myself how to write with my left hand a long time ago, but since I haven't had much practical use for it, my hand has forgotten how to behave.

Oddly, in my cartography class of about 22 students, almost half are left handed. I wonder why? The average is what, 9-10% of the population at large?

Apparently I started out as a leftie but due to seeing so many kids in daycare that were righties I decided to convert, at least that's what my dad told me. I can still write with my left hand, albeit slowly and somewhat more sloppily than my right, and most tasks I can do with my right hand I can do with my left, often a bit more slowly. But stuff like soldering irons and chopsticks are the exclusive domain of my right hand, the former mainly due to risks if I slip up (been there, done that, and it hurts).

Hey. coupla things: SillyGreenMonkey (love the moniker) I'm also a bit dyslexic like that - if I have to give people directions I literally have to *look* at my hands before I can figure which way is which...

Re lefthanded fencers - scientific evidence just in (New Scientist)is that ALL

lefties are 'evil' = bloody effective and more so that righties in *all* martial arts. Which stands to reason eh? Most of your opponents are going to be

righties, chances are you are a rightie, and then- "Princess Bride" anyone?

Cheers, kia ora, Islander9

Somewhat ambidextrous, mosty right handed but I can write with left hand when I'm relaxed, other than that my left writing looks like that of a small child.

The Evil Cashew

I am mosltly a righty but i do some things left.. like i bat left, play hockey left, golf left.. hold a guitar left.. uhm.. just weird stuff like that.

And he likes playing in water. He tips the buckets of water we've been saving in the shower over.

Silly cat

my cat dips his foot in the water and then licks it its how he drinks. he won't stick his face in the bowl! he also plays in the dogs water dish. silly cat!

~Cashew

Completely and utterly a leftie - left hand, leg, eye, ear... which is quite weird, because the vision in my left eye is more shortsighted than in my right eye...

That's interesting Rainchaser - I'm lefteye dominant but my right eye has better vision (however, I'm not much of a leftie elsewhere.) You wouldnt happen to have a right lazy eye by any chance? My opthalmologist is collecting high myopes with same (because it's quite unusual.) No name or contact requ'd - he's just chasing nu bers at the moment. Cheers, kia ora - Islander9

Ambidextrous but favor the right. The only thing I can't do just as well with my left hand is write (it's not trained to do that).

I can fingerspell two words at the same time, one with my right hand, one with my left.

"C-A-T" and "D-O-G" by any chance?

Ambidextrous but favor the right. The only thing I can't do just as well with my left hand is write (it's not trained to do that).

I can fingerspell two words at the same time, one with my right hand, one with my left.

"C-A-T" and "D-O-G" by any chance?

Yes. How did you guess?

Yes. How did you guess?

An acquaintance of mine can do that as well. He likes to show off that skill to his ASL students.

I can do it too :) ... well, not really .. only if I cheat somewhat and use the loan signs :( ... almost though! :D

That's awesome by the way

Bean

That's interesting Rainchaser - I'm lefteye dominant but my right eye has better vision (however, I'm not much of a leftie elsewhere.) You wouldnt happen to have a right lazy eye by any chance? My opthalmologist is collecting high myopes with same (because it's quite unusual.) No name or contact requ'd - he's just chasing nu bers at the moment. Cheers, kia ora - Islander9

Nope, no lazy eye, I'm afraid. I was told that it was a possibility I might develop one as the difference between my eyes increased, but it hasn't happened (so far, at least. Hopefully it never will...)

I'm ambidextrous.

I write with my right hand, and also use the mouse (on the computer) right-handed, like most everyone I've seen...

I am a leftie driver. (That is, I can control the car better with left hand alone than right hand alone. Even though my car's alignment is wonky and it drifts LEFT not RIGHT like most cars.)

I switch back and forth with eating utensils.

The vision in my left eye is worse than my right eye... :D (w00t)

I open doors with my left hand (for some reason I hardly use my right hand for this)

When typing with one hand, it's the left one. Never the right one. My typing speed is better in my left hand

My left knee is my worse knee ~but that really isn't anything being dominant. I think it just means I have a pelvic tilt so more stress is put on my left leg. :roll:

I can use the mouse with either hand; I've recently switched over to left... got tired of using right. And it will be simpler when I burn CDs as the carriage for the CD won't get caught in the mouse cable anymore. The touchpad mouse is set up left-handed now, too. w00t. I am such a nerd, I put a USB mouse and speakers on my laptop. :roll:

I'm lefteye dominant but my right eye has better vision (however, I'm not much of a leftie elsewhere.)

same here, totally. not sure if my right eye is lazy...it "runs away" if i focus through it a certain way (need a mirror to do it though *g*)

being a left-eye made me feel all special as a kid, because i drew with my left arm during archery practice. :)

BTW, has anyone ever noticed that practically all historic films involving archery feature archers drawing bows with their right arm? the only exception i encountered EVER was Keira Knightley in "King Arthur", who is sometimes shown drawing with her left arm. talk about left-eye discrimination... ;)

Meretseger - hey, interesting - hadnt noticed but now you come to mention it...I've just realised that left eye dominance has determined the way I shoot (shanghais/wrist catapults as well as rifles) - doh! Should've picked that up decades ago (but then again, I almost never shoot in company of other people so my cackhanded stance & action hasnt been noticed...)

Cheers, kia ora Islander9

• 1 month later...

For accuracy I use my right hand, but when something requires a bit more strength I use my left...

• 3 months later...
LisaRochell

When it comes to writing I'm very much righty, but I do have plans to teach myself how to write lefty too. Until my laptop (the glorious days of touchpad), it was tedious mousing righty and making notes righty as well. I'm hoping it will help with lectures, as when my right-hand gets too tired or hurts too much I can switch to the left-hand and carry on (although my Needs Assessor says if my one hand gives up it's a sign I should just stop).

My Nan was left-handed, so when I was young I ate that way, but now I can do both. I play snooker lefty but guitar righty and kickbox ambi - all very mixed!

Archived