Do you want children?

Senwyn1

3 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want children?

• Yes, I'd like to have a child biologically
    • Yes, I'd like to adopt a child
    • No, I don't want children

This poll is closed to new votes

I have a friend who's sexual and he asked me the question: Do asexuals get broody?

It got me thinking a little. Personally, I like the idea of having a child but there's no way I'd want to have one biologically. The pain of childbirth.. No thanks. To be honest, I like the idea of bringing up a child but not the process of getting one and I really only like children when they're between 4-8. Older than that and it would irritate me too much.

How about everyone else? Do you want children in the future?

Miselle Serafine

No, I don't want kids. I have no maternal instinct in me. I like kids, and babysit occasionally, but I like handing them back at the end of the night.

Tell the truth, I'd rather be one of those crazy old spinsters with thirty-four cats. ;)

erhldjkfhsljdh3544

I haven't exactly decided yet. I do completely adore children but they come with all of that stress and cost a lot of money to support. I don't think I would much care if I had a child that was biological or adopted. I guess it all depends on if I find a nice lady that I want to raise a child with. I certainly wouldn't want to do it alone.

I personally will never ever get pregnant. The thought of something that looks like a deformed alien growing and leeching inside of me just gives me the heebie-jeebies. And then all the throwing up and birthing and whathaveyou, no thanks. :wacko: However, if I marry and they want a kid, I will support that either by adoption or they can have the kid (if I marry a guy, maybe in the future guys giving birth will be more common...like seahorses, lol). I don't feel like I'm parental enough. I have way too much fun and don't support the social norm, so my kid would grow up quite the rebel probably, lol. However, I can see how being a parent can be fun, and from my personal growing experience, I would try to understand their point of view when they have an opinion, although I've also learned growing up, that the adults just have more experience growing up, so they think their advice is best. Still, youth sees things through new eyes, so while adult advice should be considered, it shouldn't be the end-all solution.

Now I'm rambling, :ph34r:

wow sakura someone who thinks like me -finally. I am not sure if you are still a teen or not as I have to say teens and early twenties will change their mindset in the long run but as someone hitting the big three O (yes it happens to all of us we don't stay in the twenties forever lol. ) I do not think my opinion on this matter will change after this point. Besides which, I am past the age of prime fertility and so after this point if I wanted a kid, in addition to the invasive procedure of intercourse and horrid things like throwing up on a daily basis, being bloated, not being able to exercise, getting varicose veins and cellulite-things I have not encountered despite my advanced age-, getting acne, hair falling out, eventually feeling like a broodmare or a cow, I'd have to go through medical procedures.

Thank the heavens or hells that I never wanted a child. I could not even stand a baby's crying on TV. while I think I'd enjoy the eventual companionship-after the kid is past the teens and I am an old old old woman, I could not be patient enough at earlier stages.

Now it has occurred to me that the guy might pressure me into having a child and in that sense I'd compromise by going for adoption if I really loved the guy, or surrogacy. However I think it'd be a selfish compromise of sorts to keep the guy in that I am unfit to be a mother as I have zero maternal instinct in me. I never played with barbies or cooed over babies ! In fact I cannot stand them.

I feel so vehemently anti-pregnancy and motherhood with respect to myself that this is why I have decided to end my current relationship when the guy starts pressuring me for marriage. Yes you heard that right, not for sex, but for marriage (though the former will unfortunately be included in the latter I wager). He's already mentioned it once or twice and all the while my mind is reeling against the possibility of suburban house hubby and yuck pregnancy. All the while I am choosing to not think about the intercourse part, which would be inevitable if I said yes at the altar.

I'd stay alone and with multiple cats-you have to love them-rather than be lured into this nightmare!

Hey there Forsaken. I'm almost 25, and don't like babies myself. Well, not that I don't like them actually, more like it's awkward. I look at it, it looks at me, I smile, it smiles, then I'm thinking, "oooookay....I'm just gonna go away now..." I think I'd treat it like a pet. I'd probably pat it, throw it a ball, say "good boy/girl!" (wait....no, I've done this before a few times when I babysat in the past before... :blink: ) What was that movie where the guy was playing with the lady's kids in the backyard, and he kept throwing a ball for her, and the mom's friend said, "he's playing fetch with your kids"...anyways, yep that's me ^^;

I'm in my thirties, is that my reproductive prime or am I past it? I don't care either way, I have considered myself moral childfree for nearly a decade. I have felt what is commonly termed 'maternal instinct' before, in my teens, while babysitting. It is merely a shade of selfishness, a feeling of wanting to feel and have uncomparable unconditional love. It is not unconditional, psychological research has shown that babies smile as a manipulative strategy for survival. Mothers who do not have post-partum depression (and neglect or abandon the baby - FYI rather common not only among drunks and druggies) have a responsability towards the survival of the baby/child and they soon learn to be manipulative and more selfish for the sake of the child. If it doesn't sound very romantic put this way that's because, varicose veins and flab aside, it isn't.

I guess I'm going against the grain, but I would love to have kids. I see parents with their kids, and I can be so jealous sometimes. However, my asexuality gets in the way of things. I'm 44, and have never even been close to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...
this_portrait

Ugh, not at all. Not only can I not stand children and find them revolting, I also would never want to go through the actual process of having one. I find having kids to be a waste of time, money, and energy that I'm not willing to give.

I didn't vote because I would like to have children biologically, but I would consider adoption as well. I have a feeling I may end up being one of those women who near their late 30s without a child. In that case, I may just go to the sperm bank or just adopt.

Guest MWotton

No, I don't want to have children.

First because I want a different life, so a family is not for me, but also because I wouldn't be able to take care of a child, and I would fear to stop loving him/her.

MW.

• 1 month later...

Definitely don't want them. Don't like what you have to experience to have them and don't like children anyway.

I very much want to have a child, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to love an adopted child as much as a kid I actually gave birth to. Besides that, there's the whole pregnancy experience--I am constantly struck with serious envy of my pregnant friends. That said, I really am not interested in the whole process of making a baby. :/ Also can't support myself right now, let alone a kid, so it's quite a long way off before I seriously start preparing for/thinking about being a mom.

asexual cake

I have never wanted children, and I only ever planned on it (this was around the ages of seven or eight) because I thought it was an imperative.

I personally will never ever get pregnant. The thought of something that looks like a deformed alien growing and leeching inside of me just gives me the heebie-jeebies. And then all the throwing up and birthing and whathaveyou, no thanks. :wacko:

the thought of getting, being pregnant & giving birth disgusts me

dont like babies and find little kids annoying

• 2 weeks later...
Starscream

No. I doubt I'd make a very good parent either.

Archived