anyone past 50 on here?

1 hour ago, Naomi2002 said:

the bath was a metal tub placed in front of the living room fire once a week so you could keep warm whilst clothes-less - usually topped up between bathers - but youngest in last!

Hence the phrase “Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water,” right? ☺️

• Like 7
2 hours ago, Naomi2002 said:

Yeah, you really didn't want a bedtime cocoa... getting out to the loo in the night is not pleasant (I have enduring memories of staying at my great aunt's when I was a kid!)

And spiders!  Always spiders.

• Like 5
21 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I was reading this page from the bottom up and I thought this was a discussion about your hair color!

21 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I thought this was about your hair color as well.

These two made me laugh so hard!

29 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

There to helpfully eat the flies.  

• Like 5

The above posts about facilities sound like something out of Victorian times. :lol: :P 

I heard from my brother that my dad also got his first shot of the vaccine, and a few of the younger generations who work in health fields or health field adjacent (like one person who is a recruiter for a hospital). 

• Like 5
10 minutes ago, daveb said:

The above posts about facilities sound like something out of Victorian times. :lol: :P 

one of the most famous Victorian plumbers was, and I kid you not, Thomas Crapper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper. It would appear that his name did NOT start the use of 'crap' to be slang for bodily waste. But the ubiquity of his products can only have helped it to spread.

• Like 6
46 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

There to helpfully eat the flies. 

Yep!  And I actually value spiders.  Just not walking face-first into a web in the outhouse at night.

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

one of the most famous Victorian plumbers was, and I kid you not, Thomas Crapper https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Crapper. It would appear that his name did NOT start the use of 'crap' to be slang for bodily waste. But the ubiquity of his products can only have helped it to spread.

Named for the job for sure!

I actually had to learn about him in class ages ago.

• Like 3

My daughter's boyfriend was just over and replaced my car window that was smashed by the thieves.  He did the work mostly in the dark, by flashlight!  I wanted to get started earlier (like, this morning), but...young people...what are you gonna do?  But of course I'm just so grateful, and he is just a doll to do it.  He arrived here at 4:45 and it took two hours and 45 minutes.  I was running in and out of the house the whole time getting things he needed for the job and being his assistant.  And now, voila, I have a working electric window again.

• Like 8

Personal use pickups are licenced pretty much at the same rate as passenger cars here in Ontario. As a 'personal use' truck I'm paying the minimum fee as such I'm really only legal to carry 600 pounds 

:ph34r:

• Like 8

My first 2 vehicles were small pickup trucks, which I got because I like sitting up a bit higher for visibility, because I didn't have much need for passenger-carrying, and because I had more use for the cargo space. I also liked that they were small enough for ease of parking (could fit easily into a compact car parking space). I didn't need something as big as a van. My current car is a small SUV - similar in size and height as the small pickups, with a bit more versatility when it comes to cargo/passenger space, but not as much room for having some sort of sleeping space (which I rarely made use of with my old pickups anyway). It's also better for the weather here, for me and my needs/uses anyway.

• Like 7

I've only slept in the cab of my truck twice. Once in a Calgary Alberta truck stop lot when a motel effed up my reservation during Calgary Stampede and in the driveway of friends in the Buffalo NY suburbs. I left after nightshift and drove down to spend the weekend with them. I got to there house too early to wake them up, so I just curled up and slept. A couple of hours later 'Bubba' saw my truck out in the driveway and went out and started knocking on the window above my head.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, daveb said:

I like sitting up a bit higher for visibility

I drive a truck-chassis SUV and love it for this reason.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, daveb said:

but not as much room for having some sort of sleeping space (which I rarely made use of with my old pickups anyway).

The back seats go down in my Subie and make a nice bed for me, but would not be as comfortable for someone taller (I'm 5'7").

• Like 6
3 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

(I'm 5'7").

I just looked it up and 5'7" equals 1.7 meters.  Not sure if height is usually measured in meters or centimeters.

• Like 5

Our family's cabin in the mountains was equipped with an outhouse.  It was a two-holer, which, even as  kid I thought that was kind of weird, but I do remember being taken out there by my mom when I was really little, so she could make sure I "didn't fall in".  I don't think this outhouse would be approved by modern building standards.  It was situated on the banks of a river.  Every spring, during the seasonal snowmelt runoff, the river water would slosh in underneath the seats and "clean out" the debris.

Sometimes a regular toilet is called a "john".  I wonder how it got that name? I've also heard it called a commode.

Glad you got your window fixed, @pickles mcgee.

Congratulations on your new car purchase, @cdrdash.

• Like 9

@Midland Tyke, happy birthday 🎂 🎂

When we moved in 1990 the house we bought still had an outside toilet, as well as an indoor one. That soon got converted into the laundry room as the plumbing was already in place. 

@will123, interesting that if you drive a truck only socially they have that sort of weight restriction. In Europe the standard is that a car licence allows you to drive any vehicle (apart from motorbikes) up to 3500Kg maximum weight, eight passengers plus driver, but no trailers. You have to take a second test to tow anything. However, depending on what country you are in there may be more generous limits under "grandfather rights". Older UK folk can drive 7500kg, or 8250kg including a trailer on a car licence. 

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

"grandfather rights". Older UK folk can drive 7500kg, or 8250kg including a trailer on a car licence. 

Shouldn't that be grandparents' rights? :P  So funny how casual sexism slips into things even today.  How old do you have to be?  Maybe I would qualify, but I don''t actually need a larger vehicle.

• Like 6
11 hours ago, teatree said:

Hence the phrase “Don’t throw the baby out with the bath water,” right? ☺️

Haha, yes, I guess so!  Google tells me...

'Throw the baby out with the bathwater' is a German proverb and the earliest printed reference to it, in Thomas Murner’s satirical work Narrenbeschwörung (Appeal to Fools), dates from 1512... but didn't emerge in English until the 19th century... One version of the origins is that... in medieval times people shared scarce bathwater and by the time that the baby was bathed the water was so murky that the baby was in danger of being thrown out unseen.

Spoiler

Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater

11 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Oh I've given up fighting my eight-legged lodgers.  I've made my peace, and just say Hi - someone to talk to at least!  And they deal with other intruders. 

Though, have you ever noticed how hard it is to clean up spider-poo?! It's like litte dots of cement!

The other down-side is, I've discovered I'm phobic about the webs, especially if they are allowed to age and gather dust, like in the out house - it badly needs a clearout, but I need a superhero!!!!

2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Sometimes a regular toilet is called a "john".  I wonder how it got that name? I've also heard it called a commode.

I don't know about a john, but a commode (to me, perhaps others in the UK?) is a chair with a loo seat to sit on, and a removable pan under it, used usually in the bedroom by people with mobility issues.

It does remind me of my mum telling me she had a "gazzunda" as a kid... a good solution to the "nighttime trundle"... (a pan that gazzunda your bed til you need it - empty it in the morning)

(apologies, I will get the hang of the multi-quote thing sometime soon!)

3 hours ago, Naomi2002 said:

it badly needs a clearout, but I need a superhero!!!!

You've come to the right place!  Spiritually/emotionally.  But a few thousand miles off, physically.

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Naomi2002 said:

have you ever noticed how hard it is to clean up spider-poo?! It's like litte dots of cement!

Yes!  Worth it for the dealt-with bugs but still...

• Like 4
4 hours ago, Naomi2002 said:

a commode (to me, perhaps others in the UK?) is a chair with a loo seat to sit on, and a removable pan under it, used usually in the bedroom by people with mobility issues.

Same here in the northeastern US.

• Like 3
9 hours ago, Muledeer said:

@Midland Tyke Happy Birthday!! 🍰🧁🍍🥩🥕🍕 (I threw in a few extra food groups besides cake for ya)

Thank you! I'm now officially old (in the sense that from today I qualify for the State Old Age Pension). In my youth they (now we) were called OAPs, but I guess that is ageist now. Not much choice about ageing, is there? None that I want to consider any. Can you imagine if you'd had yourself frozen late in 1919 to avoid the Spanish Flu and decided to see what life was like in 100 years time and had set an un-freeze date of 2020? 

• Like 7
8 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Can you imagine if you'd had yourself frozen late in 1919 to avoid the Spanish Flu and decided to see what life was like in 100 years time and had set an un-freeze date of 2020? 

That would be unfortunate timing!

Happy birthday!

• Like 6

And with perfect timing we got back in from our "mandated exercise" five minutes before a heavy shower. With patches of ice, a light dusting of snow the heath looks spectacular in the winter sunshine. 

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

Thank you! I'm now officially old (in the sense that from today I qualify for the Ste Old Age Pension). In my youth they (now we) were called OAPs, but I guess that is ageist now. Not much choice about ageing, is there? None that I want to consider any. Can you imagine if you'd had yourself frozen late in 1919 to avoid the Spanish Flu and decided to see what life was like in 100 years time and had set an un-freeze date of 2020? 

You are just about a year older than me then, Tyke.  Happy Birthday!  

• Like 7