anyone past 50 on here?

Phantasmal Fingers
8 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Another socially distanced hike today. We share a car for two hours, then distance for the hike, then share the car again. The hike was nominally 10Km, although not being in charge of the map meant we actually went a bit further. The weather was a bit dreary so not much flying around, although the water of the Alre was so clear we could photograph eBrown Trout swimming in it. We also walked past Watercress beds, and all the ducklings and cygnets are in the water with their attentive parents 

There was certainly plenty of wildlife! 🧐 I've just seen two cats, one tortoiseshell and one black. And a Boss Black Stout! 🤭

• Like 10

I see one black cat presently.  The other (tabby/tiger) is in another part of the house on Important Cat Business.  No stout spotted yet but it’s not quite 4:00 p.m. here...

• Like 9

It was very grey here today. I played golf and as soon as the ball rose above tree-level and into the grey skies I couldn't track it any further. Fortunately I'd been drawn to play with two guys in their very early 20's and they could see (and hit the ball) miles...

Even better was that the old-man triumphed in the end. Yeah!

• Like 12
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

My ex’s family has a lake cottage so the holiday was always a big family gathering there with swimming, water-skiing, a cookout, and fireworks.  The last couple of years I’ve gone to the parade just to get out and shake off some of the feeling of “everyone is celebrating but me, I have no one.”

This year it seems most everyone is not celebrating (around here).

There definitely have been more amateur fireworks than normal, though.

For some reason someone was firing them off last night. "Hey you idgits! Canada Day was two days ago!"

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

What will it take to get people to take this seriously?  I was taunted by a 12 year old girl in a grocery store parking lot yesterday when I put my mask on.  She yelled across the parking lot "I have Coronavirus!"

I heard a story on the radio yesterday (NPR) that deeply disturbed me.  Apparantly, the "Coronaparty" is a thing, kind of like chicken pox parties used to be.  They sell admission tickets to the party.  People who have tested positive are invited for free.  The first attendee to test positive after the party wins the pot of the admission ticket money.  Then everyone who tests positive stymies the epi investigation and contact tracing efforts.  I wish I was making this up, but from what understand, it really is happening.  Two parties were referenced in Florida and New York.    

Apparently happening in Alabama as well.

The same generation that brought us 'The Tide Pod Challenge'?

• Like 8

Masks seem to be a contentious issue.  You can be abused for wearing one and abused for not wearing one.  Autistics, asthmatics and claustrophobics often cannot wear them, and on London Transport can be refused permission to travel, or be abused by other passengers even if they have a medical letter of exemption.  And as @Muledeer found, some people attack you for wearing one.  It seems quaint now, that when lockdown started here, the Queen made a speech about our streets not being empty but being full of the love and care we had for each other.  Well, that didn't last long.

• Like 11
5 minutes ago, Mz Terry said:

Masks seem to be a contentious issue. 

Sorry to learn that’s not just an American issue. :mellow:

I just caught a momentary glimpse of the military flyover intended as an aerial salute to East Coast cities that played roles in the American Revolution. And that begins and concludes my observance of this year’s Independence Day.-_-

• Like 11
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

Even better was that the old-man triumphed in the end.

Good work!

• Like 8
30 minutes ago, will123 said:

For some reason someone was firing them off last night. "Hey you idgits! Canada Day was two days ago!"

It’s been going on for a few weeks around here.  Go figure!

• Like 6
29 minutes ago, will123 said:

The same generation that brought us 'The Tide Pod Challenge'?

(At least here in NY) they were a little older than the Tide-podders.

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Saw a clip on the news last night of some moron 'accidentally' firing something thru a window of his house setting it ablaze...

Neighbour's security cam caught it.

• Like 6
7 minutes ago, will123 said:

Saw a clip on the news last night of some moron 'accidentally' firing something thru a window of his house setting it ablaze...

Whoops!

• Like 6
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

And no I'm not a fan!

• Like 5

I love them but one of my cats super does not and he keeps coming to me to Make It Stop (in between bouts of hiding, shaking, under a bed) so it takes the fun out of it.

• Like 7

I think fireworks can be works of art - talking about the kind of pyrotechnics that make colorful images in the sky. I personally don't find much point in firecrackers, the kind that people fire off randomly to make noise.  I'm not a fan of loud noise in any case. Thunder is okay, but I prefer when it doesn't get too close. Currently my neighborhood is sounding like a war zone. I guess we will have people setting off more explosions for a while (tonight and probably at least a few more nights, I suppose)).

• Like 9
Kencf0618033

It's been unusually quiet here, and I'm v/fortunate that my cats don't mind the occasional boom.

• Like 8
29 minutes ago, daveb said:

I think fireworks can be works of art - talking about the kind of pyrotechnics that make colorful images in the sky.

Absolutely!  Ideally not in the hands of the next-door neighbor, though.

There have been ~20 dumpster fires here in the last hour.  Oy.

• Like 8
28 minutes ago, Kencf0618033 said:

I'm v/fortunate that my cats don't mind the occasional boom.

My cat that doesn’t mind them is smugly enjoying being the only cat hanging out with me tonite.  The scared one is usually very alpha.

• Like 5
4 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Absolutely!  Ideally not in the hands of the next-door neighbor, though.

Yeah, I meant professional ones by people who know what they are doing and how to keep everything safe and not set fires or anything. :) 

• Like 9
22 minutes ago, daveb said:

Yeah, I meant professional ones by people who know what they are doing and how to keep everything safe and not set fires or anything. :) 

Yes, that kind can be very nice!

• Like 6

Long 9 mile flat walk at Byxbee and Shoreline parks today.    I decided to go to my local parks rather than drive somewhere and hope there was enough parking.   It was nice to just walk out my door and not have to drive anywhere.  

Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Luti7w41RJzfDjvn6

Not too many fireworks around here.  I have heard about 3 booms nearby but since the local fireworks were cancelled that is about it.

Cathy

• Like 11
Skycaptain

@cdrdash, great to see some much waterfowl around

You'll have to pardon my ignorance here, but what is the rodent you've photographed? 

Today it's off to mum's to deliver her birthday presents. We've worked out that mum hasn't seen my sister since August :o

• Like 8

Nice and quiet round here, no fireworks.  They will start up in late October.  My Cat and Little Dog don't care, but I know how difficult it is when you have a pet that is scared of them.

Little Dog and I disturbed a wasps' nest yesterday in the garden.  It was under a tree stump and there was no sign it was there.  We raced for the house as the wasps emerged and started circling.  I had no idea I could run so fast, I kept up with Little Dog.  About six wasps got into the house with us, on our clothing and hair I guess.  I was stung three times and Little Dog once.  He killed his attacker and I found the corpse in the bathroom later.  I also found several live ones buzzing inside the windows.

Cat found and destroyed one in the bay window where he loves to sit.  Naturally, he wasn't stung.  Cat can deal with life. :P

I have three very swollen stings, one on each leg and one on my waist.  My Piriton is out-of-date, so when I go to Tesco I must buy a new packet.  Wasps are useful creatures, but I will get this nest seen to.

• Like 10
25 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

You'll have to pardon my ignorance here, but what is the rodent you've photographed? 

It looks like a ground squirrel.  It sure let you get close, Cathy--in your shadow!

• Like 8
Skycaptain
2 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

It looks like a ground squirrel.  It sure let you get close, Cathy--in your shadow!

Thanks 🎂 🎂 

@Mz Terry, hope those stings ease soon :(

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

I have three very swollen stings, one on each leg and one on my waist.

Ouch!  I’m sorry.  That’s not a pleasant adventure!

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Nice and quiet round here, no fireworks.  They will start up in late October.  My Cat and Little Dog don't care, but I know how difficult it is when you have a pet that is scared of them.

Little Dog and I disturbed a wasps' nest yesterday in the garden.  It was under a tree stump and there was no sign it was there.  We raced for the house as the wasps emerged and started circling.  I had no idea I could run so fast, I kept up with Little Dog.  About six wasps got into the house with us, on our clothing and hair I guess.  I was stung three times and Little Dog once.  He killed his attacker and I found the corpse in the bathroom later.  I also found several live ones buzzing inside the windows.

Cat found and destroyed one in the bay window where he loves to sit.  Naturally, he wasn't stung.  Cat can deal with life. :P

I have three very swollen stings, one on each leg and one on my waist.  My Piriton is out-of-date, so when I go to Tesco I must buy a new packet.  Wasps are useful creatures, but I will get this nest seen to.

I take it Guy Fawkes Day is your 'firecracker day'. I remember reading a kids story in a series about it. Some kind of mystery leading up to the celebration. In Ontario it used to be just on Victoria Day or May 2-4 weekend (I'm surprised nobody has found fault with us celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday yet with the accompanying protests) that was our holiday to fire off fireworks. Now Canada Day is as well. For some reason when I was growing up it was less of an event. It could be that Victoria Day (always celebrated on a Monday) marks the start of summer and on the Canada Day holiday is observed on the day it falls. So if it's thru the week there isn't the partying. Also, a lot of people have left 'town' to start their vacations.

Mother disturbed a similar nest under a stump in our backyard too. 

• Like 7

Good to see the mother duck has gotten her ducklings in a row. :lol: 

I wonder if the Canada Day fireworks are a spillover from US 4th of July fireworks - I mean, that maybe Canadians kept seeing our 4th of July displays and decided they wanted something like it (consciously or subconsciously)?

At least it is quiet here this morning. :) 

• Like 7