anyone past 50 on here?

49 minutes ago, daveb said:

Still, I hope he will be okay.

Same.  I’m sorry you have an unpleasant history, but I never wish an ugly death on anyone.

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise
2 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Someone once told me old was 10 years from where you are now.  Sounds good to me.

Sounds about right to me . . . um, will I feel "old" when I'm 85? :lol:

Welcome to the thread, @TerrieMJ63 :cake: :cake: :cake:  Hope you enjoy the company and conversations here :)

@daveb, I hope your brother will be OK!

Yesterday was a special day for me: I finally unpacked my "bugout bag" which had been standing near the front door since the bushfire emergency began, back in September. Our grass is green again now, after months of bare brown earth, and my son and daughter began the task of mowing the place yesterday . . . our one remaining chicken was very excited. Everything looks so lush now . . . I never realised green grass could be so exciting!  I can't find words to express how thankful I am that we're still here and our place is safe - even the dam is full to overflowing :D (but sadly, many places further west have not been so lucky).

• Like 12
7 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I finally unpacked my "bugout bag" which had been standing near the front door since the bushfire emergency began

That has to have been such a relief.

• Like 7
2 hours ago, cdrdash said:

I got myself a new bike!

Cool bike! I used to bike to work and/or school when I was younger (until it was no longer feasible for a variety of reasons; not due to health though).

1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

Same.  I’m sorry you have an unpleasant history, but I never wish an ugly death on anyone.

Thanks!

34 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

I can't find words to express how thankful I am that we're still here and our place is safe

I'm glad to hear it! Hopefully other places in Australia will recover soon, too.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, daveb said:

Found out late this morning that my older brother is in the hospital with meningitis.

Yikes, meningitis is super scary.  Hope he gets better soon.

Sorry he was a bully.  My older brother was awful too, but he stopped beating us younger kids up after a certain age.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Tja said:

Yes, but within the last 2 months everything hurts, everything's heavier, and I'm much slower.

4 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Maybe get a check-up @Tja?

Yeah, if all of a sudden everything hurts, that sounds kinda serious.  Sorry that you've taken such a hit physically.

• Like 8
27 minutes ago, pickles mcgee said:

Yikes, meningitis is super scary.  Hope he gets better soon.

Sorry he was a bully.  My older brother was awful too, but he stopped beating us younger kids up after a certain age.

Thanks!

Yeah, my brother stopped, too, once he got out of high school.

• Like 7

My mom said the hospital did an MRI on my brother, but they won't know the results until morning.

• Like 6

@daveb, hope your brother pulls through with no long-term damage

@cdrdash, enjoy the cycling

@Autumn Sunrise, good to hear that the drought has broken. Just need some more chickens now 😋

An acquaintance made one of those comments which have two meanings and gave us a laugh 

"I had a brain scan, they found nothing" 😋 😋 

• Like 12
16 hours ago, Tja said:

Maybe Yoga...🧘‍♂️😊

I'll second that!  I've been doing yoga for eight years now, and also working out a couple of times a week.  It helps me to feel less old.   But also, sometimes a virus or another disease can cause those sudden symptoms of old age.  

Sorry to hear about your brother, @daveb  I hope he makes it.

Nice bike, @cdrdash!

Glad the drought has broken and you now have green grass again, @Autumn Sunrise

Welcome, @TerrieMJ63 We're the same age.  I'll be 57 in two more months.

• Like 10
19 hours ago, Tja said:

Yes, but within the last 2 months everything hurts, everything's heavier, and I'm much slower. I'd understand if it came on gradually.

After the electricians finished in December, I cleaned and setup every room in the house in 1 1/2 days. It had all been sitting in mounds (not piles, actual mounds😆) throughout the house after the troubles.

Oh well, I'll just suck it up. I've been bitching way too much lately.😋

Maybe Yoga...🧘‍♂️😊

Maybe you hurt because of everything you did since December! 

• Like 9
18 hours ago, daveb said:

Found out late this morning that my older brother is in the hospital with meningitis. Word is he is under sedation, on feeding and breathing tubes, and they are doing tests to find the cause. We have never been really close; too much polar opposites in almost every way. Not to mention, he beat me up regularly throughout our childhood (including teen years). Still, I hope he will be okay. Meningitis is scary stuff. I wouldn't wish it on anyone. Now I'm just waiting for further news.

I'm sorry to hear this. We only have one family, even if not close. My brother and I were not close either so I get it. Still, hoping for his recovery.

• Like 7

This thread is a little world in miniature. Some awful things finally getting right  like @Autumn Sunrise ' s last few months in Australia, and some other things going awfully wrong  - I hope you have good news about your brother too, @daveb  and I hope you're contnuing to get better @faraday and @Deja Vu

I hope you can sort out your unexpected fatigue @Tja  and that it's just temporary and you soon pick up.

• Like 9

Musing about Aven meetups... I know there have been a few from this thread, and I've met a couple of you informally as well. But we already know each other, and have an established connection. Have any of you participated in generic Aven meetups of people you don't know? If so how did it go for you?

I've wondered about it, and the one I did look into ended up being all people decades younger than myself. It got me wondering what the purpose would be. If being Aven is the only hook, how is it different than getting together with brown haired people, or people who are over 6' tall, or... ??? Is it to party with people and not have to worry about being hit on? Inquiring minds want to know.

• Like 8

Tiny bit of good news - from my Wound Clinic appointment yesterday it looks like there is some new skin growing. Let the healing begin!

• Like 10
2 minutes ago, Deja Vu said:

Tiny bit of good news - from my Wound Clinic appointment yesterday it looks like there is some new skin growing. Let the healing begin!

Glad to hear that! 

• Like 9
40 minutes ago, Deja Vu said:

Inquiring minds want to know.

There are several people who post in this thread who have gone to meetups, some a number of times, so your curiosity should ultimately be satisfied.

• Like 6

Sounds like good news for my brother. Of course, meningitis is not fun to say the least, with the headache and other symptoms. But in his case they are saying it is viral (from the same virus that can cause shingles and chicken pox), and there are some treatments, and the prognosis for a full recovery is usually pretty good in such cases. Often with little or no lasting effects. 

As for meetups, it can be a mixed bag, and often have mostly younger people. I went to a few when I lived in southern California. First couple were organized by a younger person and I ended up being the only other person who showed up. Another one I went to once or twice had a good number of people, but mostly quite a bit younger than me. I have also been to a meetup in London with a good assortment of people (it was also the first time @faraday☘ and I met in person, while we were both "on holiday" over there). And to small meetups with other people around this thread (such as one where I met @pickles mcgee and Blue Cat in Portland, as well as individual meetups with a few others here). I get the impression that meetups in the UK are different from ones in the US. In the US it seems like the meetups tend to be more infrequent, lean more towards younger 20-somethings, and tend to be very locally dependent (in that there doesn't seem to be a lot of people going around to different cities for meetups and the makeup of the meetups depends on local factors). Seems like the UK has meetups practically every week and like people go to various cities to meet, and therefore there seems to be more cross-pollination with people from various parts of the UK getting around to various other parts. I don't know if that's all accurate; mostly just based on impressions I get from what people say on the forums. :) 

Basically, I guess you never know until you go to a meetup (it's like a box of chocolates... :lol: ). I do think part of it is socializing in a setting where you can feel more relaxed and can be yourself, and I don't think you'd get that at a meeting for people based on hair color or height. For me, though, it can depend on the chemistry of the people and on what activities they might be doing. Some of the UK ones talk about going to museums, playing board games, and doing other stuff (drinking :P ). The few I've been to in the US were mostly hanging out at a cafe and talking (although we did go to the Chinese garden when we met in Portland), which I have less interest in.

• Like 11
14 minutes ago, daveb said:

I get the impression that meetups in the UK are different from ones in the US

I’ve gotten that impression reading here as well.  I also get the sense that other ways to meet like-minded people - e.g., music festivals - in the UK attract a wider “accepted” age range than they do in the US, so it may be a general cultural difference.

16 minutes ago, daveb said:

the prognosis for a full recovery is usually pretty good in such cases. Often with little or no lasting effects. 

That’s good to hear!  I hope he responds well to treatment.

• Like 7
26 minutes ago, daveb said:

Sounds like good news for my brother. Of course, meningitis is not fun to say the least, with the headache and other symptoms. But in his case they are saying it is viral (from the same virus that can cause shingles and chicken pox), and there are some treatments, and the prognosis for a full recovery is usually pretty good in such cases. Often with little or no lasting effects. 

As for meetups, it can be a mixed bag, and often have mostly younger people.

Good news for your brother - great to hear this.

Re: meet ups, the 20 somethings have been consistent with what I've seen here. Haven't looked into it lately though. Thanks for the info!

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

Maybe you hurt because of everything you did since December! 

I thought of this too--it seems possible. Strained muscles and such.

(Not that I have one whit of medical training.)

• Like 7

So tonight on FB, there was a posting (originally created by @LGBTPlusProud) by someone I used to work with that read:

I AM AN ALLY.

I am not gay, bi, transgender, pansexual, intersex, or asexual.

I just support the crazy idea that everyone should have equal rights.

My comment was, "Like the sentiment [of support] but wished it didn't have to point out 'I am not....' It shouldn't matter, right?"

There was no response from the person who posted.

• Like 6

I guess the way I'd take it is it's good to know people who are not part of those categories are supporters. Like everyone should support LGBT+ rights; just as everyone should support civil rights regardless of the group and whether they belong to it or not. Sometimes it can seem like the only people who support some group's rights are members of said group. Us together is better than us against them. :) 

• Like 8

2 of my sisters said they are going to talk to their doctors on Monday to see about getting shingles vaccines to hopefully avoid what happened with my brother. I guess that's sensible to get vaccinated if you can. I'll have to wait until later next year when I become eligible for medicare. :mellow: 

• Like 7

Glad things are looking up for poorly 50s and relatives.

Miserable stormy weather again here.  The daffodils are in flower in the garden, which is a joy in such gloom.  Picture from last year of Little Dog at a beautiful stately home among the daffodils.

20190404-111729.jpg

• Like 12