anyone past 50 on here?

Yeah, Philly is reeeeeally close (geographically) to being southern, and is also a big city less than an hour from the coast.  Like NYC they typically don’t get nearly as much snow as other parts of PA.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

Like most herd behavior, it’s not rooted in logic. The chances of a mid-Atlantic-area snowstorm so enormous that people would run out of food and water in their homes before they could get back out to a market are approximately 0%.<_<

I can never figure out why people go crazy for milk.  Like, are you going to drink 10x the milk you normally do because the power is out?  :)

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise

@faraday☘ I'm inspired by your positive attitude . . . and I'd love to be there the first time you say "Wanna see my boobies?" :lol: I hope your wonderful, wacky sense of humour keeps you going to the point where you've made a complete recovery!

• Like 8

@faraday☘, glad to hear your surgery went well and you are recovering.

I was off hiking today at Uvas Canyon county park with my hiking buddy Sharon.  There was not a lot of water in the usual collection of water falls. It has been a week or so since we got rain.  We need more rain.  But the falls were still beautiful and fun to see.

Uvas Canyon County Park:  https://photos.app.goo.gl/qtr6bjdkVaQQdpEg6

• Like 6
5 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I can never figure out why people go crazy for milk.  Like, are you going to drink 10x the milk you normally do because the power is out?  :)

And bread!!!!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, ryn2 said:

3 minutes ago, teatree said:

And bread!!!!

Exactly!

Reminds me of something similar that happens here when the first snowfall of the season is forecast. People flock to the nearest hardware store or Home Despot to buy a snow shovel. What happened to the one they used last winter? Cripes the one I have now, I used at my old house which I sold in 2011. It's probably good for a few more winters.

• Like 7
36 minutes ago, will123 said:

Exactly!

Reminds me of something similar that happens here when the first snowfall of the season is forecast. People flock to the nearest hardware store or Home Despot to buy a snow shovel. What happened to the one they used last winter? Cripes the one I have now, I used at my old house which I sold in 2011. It's probably good for a few more winters.

Hah, yes!  My newest snow shovel is 20, and it’s a plastic one.  My metal shovels are 27 and 24.

• Like 6

(I got a plastic one because my current house has some brick and stone patio/walkway areas a metal shovel would damage... I’m still shoveling the driveway with the 27-year-old metal one)

• Like 6

I just use the spade I normally use for digging the garden. 

@cdrdash, great photos, (not that jealous of the weather and scenery there 😋😋

• Like 6
8 hours ago, ryn2 said:

(I got a plastic one because my current house has some brick and stone patio/walkway areas a metal shovel would damage... I’m still shoveling the driveway with the 27-year-old metal one)

You should get a snow wolf.  I have had one for 5 years now.  Makes removing snow a snap and not hard on the back at all.  Only problem I have had are people driving by looking, stopping, and asking what that is.  Makes removing snow fun.

• Like 5
14 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Because they are all hoarders at heart.  Bring a box of pencils into a 1st grade classroom and set it down and tell the kids they can have pencils for free and they will grab them by the hand full instead of taking one and allowing everyone to get one.

• Like 6

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a snow wolf.  How do you throw with it when the piles get high?

• Like 4
On 2/7/2020 at 6:23 AM, Skycaptain said:

In southern England 1cm of snow will stop everything bar taxis and brewers drays, cause panic in the supermarkets, and calls for the heads of the met-office, and highways department. Schools closed, the whole nine yards. 

But, on the bright side, snow is about the only thing that will drag kidlets away from their computers and go outside to play. 

Not in Minnesota! We've learned the weather forecasts are only suggestions, and often not accurate. We can't be sure of timing or how much snow. Weather patterns can vary by hundreds of miles so when a storm actually arrives it could go south of us at the last minute.

Really nothing shuts down here either. That said, those of us who can work at home often do for practical reasons. Traffic is awful, we'll be driving in both bad weather and in the dark. That type of driving is stressful and shortens the day. 

Where I work we have so many physical locations (large government agency) that travel and parking are difficult so even in good weather we use Skype for most meetings. It's transparent enough that you usually can't tell if people are in the office or not.

• Like 9
4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

snow wolf

At first glance I was thinking of an actual canine. So I googled and mostly get hits about vaping. :P (and one picture of something that looks like a snow shovel with a wheel)

• Like 5
2 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a snow wolf.  How do you throw with it when the piles get high?

It is all leverage.  I can toss over 4 or 5 ft tall piles.

• Like 6

I had to look up snow wolf too. Is the idea that it gobbles up the snow?

Here, the council ask us to be thoughtfully helpful and clear the stretch of public footpath in 

front of the house and also our front paths ( the path from the footpath to the front door, through the garden) . I'm not convinced it's a great idea because if you leave a thin film of snow behind, it can ice over and you dont always see that sort of thin ice. At least if ther's a load of frozen snow you know it's there. 

My snow shovel has a big plastic head and a wooden handle. It's good for shovelling leaves.

As always, I do like Cathy's pictures. Are all the paths and trails in the USA as well maintained as Cathy"s seem to be? 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, daveb said:

At first glance I was thinking of an actual canine. So I googled and mostly get hits about vaping. :P (and one picture of something that looks like a snow shovel with a wheel)

I once had a collie that would pull my sled up the hill after sledding down.  It is the shovel with the very big wheel.  You never have to lift so your back never hurts afterwards.  It is all done with leverage.  And it is fast.  Half the time of using an old fashion shovel.  I do my drive then both neighbors on both sides of me because it is fun...and they are old.

• Like 8
37 minutes ago, Tunhope said:

I'm not convinced it's a great idea because if you leave a thin film of snow behind, it can ice over and you dont always see that sort of thin ice. At least if ther's a load of frozen snow you know it's there.

*nods* plus the snow gives some traction.

I use animal-safe ice melt (after shoveling) on my walk if i have to but it’s not ideal.

• Like 6
41 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

You never have to lift so your back never hurts afterwards.  It is all done with leverage.  And it is fast.  Half the time of using an old fashion shovel. 

I don’t get the logistics of how you throw the snow once the banks alongside the driveway get high.

I mean, I don’t doubt it works, I’m just not visualizing that part somehow.

If it’s super-bad I have a snowblower but that’s not my favorite way to do it for many reasons.

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

Where I work we have so many physical locations .... so even in good weather we use Skype for most meetings. It's transparent enough that you usually can't tell if people are in the office or not.

Same at my office—virtually all meetings are now set up for participation by video* even if a meeting room is designated for those attendees who are in the office. For the last meeting I was invited to, the organizer canceled the room after learning that every other participant was attending remotely.   (*Of course if you’re working from home in your pajamas, you just turn off your camera so you can see your colleagues but not vice versa.:P )

• Like 7
19 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

I don’t get the logistics of how you throw the snow once the banks alongside the driveway get high.

I mean, I don’t doubt it works, I’m just not visualizing that part somehow.

If it’s super-bad I have a snowblower but that’s not my favorite way to do it for many reasons.

Think of a small teeter totter.  If you put a walnut on one end and push down hard on the other, the walnut will go flying up in the air without much effort from you.  There are a few 1 minute youtube spots showing how it works.

• Like 7

Huh.  I watched and it seems hard to direct the snow where you want but I suppose it’s a learned skill like any other.

I get the physics of levers, just wasn’t sure how you get it over a pile the height of your head.  I suppose if it always throws that high it’s a non-issue.

The woman who lives across the street from me is scraping her car with her snow shovel.  Just no!

• Like 9

Welcome @Pcarson24.   

I watched the videos of the snow wolf shovel.   I think my Dad would have enjoyed using it to clear the Michigan snow off his driveway back in the day he was alive and healthy enough to use it.

It is the weekend!  Pictures from the hike I did today https://photos.app.goo.gl/M5C24N1cUYpxt9p8A .  This was at Castle Rock State Park in the Santa Cruz mountains.  We had gorgeous weather today.  The fog in the first pictures burned off pretty quickly.

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Are all the paths and trails in the USA as well maintained as Cathy"s seem to be? 

It really depends and varies from place to place.

• Like 6

@Pcarson24, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

Our meetup in Andover went well, most of us have made it back before the most hyped storm of the 21st century strikes 

• Like 8
3 minutes ago, daveb said:

It really depends and varies from place to place.

I do find most California trails to be fairly well maintained but as Dave says it varies.

• Like 7
9 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

I do find most California trails to be fairly well maintained but as Dave says it varies.

Out of interest, who maintains them?

• Like 6