anyone past 50 on here?

On 2/1/2020 at 7:03 AM, Muledeer said:

I wanna eat that blue mushroom!

They do need a taste-tester.  From the internet:

"Entoloma hochstetteri (Blue mushroom) is a species of mushroom found in New Zealand, South America (Brazil) and India. ... Entoloma hochstetteri is not edible, but whether or not it is poisonous is unknown."

On 2/1/2020 at 7:03 AM, Muledeer said:

I'll be boarding the airplane this afternoon and spending the next week on vacation in Hawaii!

Wonderful!!  Will love to hear about your trip.

22 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

Right now I'm recovering from 2 major back surgeries... the second to fix issues from the first.

So sorry to hear this, @Deja Vu.  What stage of the recovery are you in?

15 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

I have a long way to go :P -  performing, conducting, composing, teaching.

This sounds really satisfying.

9 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

I tried to change my directions several times, but I kept ending up back in IT which i do not like.

I hear you.  Anytime I was full-time teaching I would cast about for any other job I could do (I liked every part of my job but there was just too much of it--waaaay too stressful), but always came back to teaching.  I wish I would have chosen differently when I was younger.

• Like 7
33 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

I am rooting for the San Francisco 49ers.

Same as I have a number of Bay Area friends.  I have a terrible square (SF 4, KC 7) so I’m not winning a cent regardless.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, cdrdash said:

Henry Coe State Park

Yay, lady bugs! :D 

1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

"Entoloma hochstetteri (Blue mushroom) is a species of mushroom found in New Zealand, South America (Brazil) and India. ... Entoloma hochstetteri is not edible, but whether or not it is poisonous is unknown."

That's quite a distribution pattern.

Regarding the bolded part: :blink: :P 

It was nice and foggy and cool this morning; got out for a good long walk in the woods. Then we had some sun and I got a brief trial of my new sunglasses (they work quite well). Then we had a little hail in the afternoon (both in terms of size of the hailstones and in the duration/amount of the total precipitation). :) 

• Like 6
1 hour ago, daveb said:

whether or not it is poisonous is unknown

aka “no one we know has eaten it yet.”

• Like 6
3 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

They do need a taste-tester.  From the internet:

Wonderful!!  Will love to hear about your trip.

So sorry to hear this, @Deja Vu.  What stage of the recovery are you in?

This sounds really satisfying.

I hear you.  Anytime I was full-time teaching I would cast about for any other job I could do (I liked every part of my job but there was just too much of it--waaaay too stressful), but always came back to teaching.  I wish I would have chosen differently when I was younger.

I don't know how to delete parts of this post on my phone, so sorry for that.

I'm recovering from 2 major back surgeries, 1 a week after the first. It was supposed to be simple in and out, but there were complications when they opened me up. Then an internal hematoma after the initial surgery that resulted in emergency surgery in the middle of a blizzard.

I now have several restrictions through the end of February, so mobility is poor and i can't drive yet. Still a fair amount of pain, and I'm run down and exhausted most of the day. I feel like I'm in the middle of Ground Hog Day (the movie, and yes i know it really IS Ground Hog Day.)

• Like 8

Back pain/back surgery is no fun! A few people in my family have had more than their share of both. Best wishes with yours, @Deja Vu!

I guess for the UK folks my start date looks like Feb 3 (according to things people said last year), but for me it was Feb 2 (and shows that way when I look at it), so I'm sticking with Feb 2. Or palindrome day, this year - 02/02/2020. :D 

• Like 10
44 minutes ago, Deja Vu said:

I now have several restrictions through the end of February, so mobility is poor and i can't drive yet. Still a fair amount of pain, and I'm run down and exhausted most of the day.

That sounds awful.  Do you have to go to work, or are you taking time off?

44 minutes ago, Deja Vu said:

I feel like I'm in the middle of Ground Hog Day (the movie, and yes i know it really IS Ground Hog Day.)

That was a fun movie, but it would not make for fun IRL.

Happy 11th Avenersary, @daveb:cake: :cake: :cake:  And happy palindrome day to all!  02.02.2020 would be a good day to be born.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMPf1IZ43o7wudh_hJJ94

• Like 9

@cdrdash, great photos, that's an impressive swarm of ladybirds

@daveb, happy AVENiversary 🎂 🎂 

• Like 7
21 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

That sounds awful.  Do you have to go to work, or are you taking time off?

That was a fun movie, but it would not make for fun IRL.

Happy 11th Avenersary, @daveb:cake: :cake: :cake:  And happy palindrome day to all!  02.02.2020 would be a good day to be born.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSMPf1IZ43o7wudh_hJJ94

I'm working from home for now.

• Like 8

Dang.  My Death Valley Camping Trip was cancelled.  Recreation.gov called the trip leader and told her that there was a system error and they gave the campground to someone else.  The trip leader, my friend C., tried to work with them to find another site but failed.  J. and I are her assistant leaders.  We are all some what appalled with Recreation.gov for losing our reservation.  We had 19 people signed up and now have to refund all of them.  Sigh.  I am still going to go on vacation but now will spend that time at home and do fun hikes in the bay area of which there are many!  I had plans after Death Valley which I can still keep.  I will camp at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation area near Las Vegas for 2 nights and then go to Vegas and spend 4 days watching all the Pac 12 women's basketball tournament matches!!

Cathy

• Like 9

@Tallwaters, welcome to AVEN 🎂 🎂

@cdrdash, that sucks big-time having to cancel a group trip like that :(

• Like 7
6 hours ago, Tallwaters said:

57 soon to be 58

Welcome!  You’re a few months older than me.

• Like 5
9 hours ago, Tallwaters said:

57 soon to be 58

Welcome and :cake: !

1 hour ago, Tja said:

Am I still the baby at 55 years 1 month and 20 days?😋😆

Nope. There are people under 50 here, but even among those over 50 there is at least one I know of who is younger than you. :P 

• Like 5

Well I've inhabited this thread for five years now, simply because I enjoy the conversation here, it's the best "chatty" thread on AVEN, and I'm still shy of 50.

Don't forget that this thread was the inspiration for the annual International AVEN meet 😋😋

• Like 7
14 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

Don't forget that this thread was the inspiration for the annual International AVEN meet 😋😋

Was it? I guess I forgot. :P 

I have refreshed eyesight now. (got my new glasses, with an updated prescription and no scratches, smudges, etc.) :D 

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

it's the best "chatty" thread on AVEN,

It sure is.

Plus...groundhogs:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcToitZWyAQQcnIHnX2iHEX

I declare it Groundhog Week!

• Like 7

I don't know, there's something about some sloth pics that seems a bit creepy to me. An "uncanny valley" situation maybe?

Now, coatis... :D 

coati04.jpgCoatimundi-1200x1200-1080x675.jpg

• Like 8
23 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Dang.  My Death Valley Camping Trip was cancelled.  Recreation.gov called the trip leader and told her that there was a system error and they gave the campground to someone else.  The trip leader, my friend C., tried to work with them to find another site but failed.  J. and I are her assistant leaders.  We are all some what appalled with Recreation.gov for losing our reservation.  We had 19 people signed up and now have to refund all of them.  Sigh.  I am still going to go on vacation but now will spend that time at home and do fun hikes in the bay area of which there are many!  I had plans after Death Valley which I can still keep.  I will camp at Red Rock Canyon National Conservation area near Las Vegas for 2 nights and then go to Vegas and spend 4 days watching all the Pac 12 women's basketball tournament matches!!

Cathy

Bummer! But you're fortunate to have so many camping and hiking opportunities nearby.

• Like 7