anyone past 50 on here?

3 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

I've been gone a long time and don't know who remembers me anymore.

I remember you as well. Welcome back! :cake: 

1 hour ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

It's over 43 degrees Celsius (109.4 degrees Fahrenheit) at the moment.

oof!

We used to get temps like those a lot when I lived farther south. I do not miss that! I hope you all get some relief soon!

• Like 7

@Deja Vu, welcome back 🎂 🎂

@cdrdash, that's a great gesture of folk to print your dad's book

@Autumn Sunrise, hope the heat dissipates soon

Windows derped my computer last night, so I've got to try and find some vanished files 

• Like 7

I wanna eat that blue mushroom! 

Welcome back, @Deja Vu!  I think I remember one of your posts about a car hitting your home?  If that wasn't you, I got it wrong.

I'll be boarding the airplane this afternoon and spending the next week on vacation in Hawaii!

• Like 9
1 hour ago, pickles mcgee said:

Apropos of nothing, I want to go where this blue mushroom lives:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTqedqQ2DEH-CNfeYEAVFM

That Smurf village in Spain? :P 

52 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I'll be boarding the airplane this afternoon and spending the next week on vacation in Hawaii!

Bon Voyage! :D 

• Like 9

I love this sort of toadstool, but not to eat.

See the source imageIf memory serves me right, we used to sit round a large plastic version at Brownies.  I never enjoyed Brownies, except the plays we put on.

• Like 8
3 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I hope you have a wonderful time!

• Like 7

@Mz Terry, I can't remember the last time I saw a Fly Agaric, they used to be common on Ashdown Forest 

@Muledeer, safe trip, have fun 

• Like 6
28 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

Dang it, all the cat puns are gone because I waited until Caturday to get in on this.

You catnap, you lose.

• Like 9
16 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

It's awful wishing one's life away like that, but I'll be glad when night comes and it starts to cool down

Understandable!

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise
14 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

Ay yai yai! 🥵

I've been meaning to check in with you, @Autumn Sunrise, about your weather and the fires.  I saw a map last week that showed how the fires keep moving down the coast, and that the biggest concentration of fires is south of Canberra now.  Are you still caring for any wildlife, or have things improved enough in your area?  I'm especially wondering about the little wallaby.

Well, you've seen what the weather is like, from my latest post. It hardly cooled down last night - I slept with the fan going all night, and it's supposed to be almost as hot today as it was yesterday. I got my daily walk in good and early today! There are storms predicted for later today, so . . . we'll see.

I'm not sure which wallaby you're asking about, because there were a few. One of them had a hurt paw, and what looked like a patch or two of mange (which is curable). There was a team of wildlife vets in the area so we asked them to come and take him for treatment, which they did. (I got to watch one of them using the tranquiliser dart gun - amazing skill!) There was also a smaller one, very cute - we called him Rufus because of his reddish fur, until we discovered he was a she, so she became Rufina :lol: She was around regularly for food, for several days. Then it rained, and the grass began to grow again, so most of the wildlife moved back to grazing. A few days later we saw Rufina, behind the house, blissfully grazing the longish new grass around the Biolytix tank. She seems to be doing fine :) We're still feeding a lot of birds, including a pair of young magpies and the cockatoo that got some burns from the fire. She looks pretty pathetic, but she's always hungry which is a good sign. I hope we get to see her re-feather and recover fully.

The fires seem to have calmed down around here (although they're still pretty bad down south), so - fingers crossed!

• Like 9
20 hours ago, Deja Vu said:

I'm so sorry for your loss. I lost my brother 3 years ago from pancreatic cancer so I can relate to some extent. Losing a sibling puts a new perspective on one's own mortality - at least it has for me. 

Hi @Deja Vu! Good to see you back here. Sorry for the loss of your brother. Yes, losing a sibling sure does put a new perspective on one’s own mortality. I’m thinking about working on my own obituary, funeral, will, etc. this year so it can be ready and not have to think about it so much when it is really needed while under stress or having died with nothing prepared. My coworker and I were talking about taking advantage of a heart screening coming up this month. It would be for $25 which we think is a good deal.

@Muledeer Have fun in Hawaii!

• Like 6
2 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

The fires seem to have calmed down around here (although they're still pretty bad down south), so - fingers crossed!

It's good things have calmed down in your area, and that the various critters seem to be doing pretty well. I saw a news report today about the fires threatening the capital, though. Best wishes to all!

• Like 6
Mysearchbroughtme_here
8 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

I love this sort of toadstool, but not to eat.

See the source imageIf memory serves me right, we used to sit round a large plastic version at Brownies.  I never enjoyed Brownies, except the plays we put on.

The white bits always remind me of dessicated coconut but I wouldn't want to eat one either. 😝

• Like 7
10 hours ago, Muledeer said:

I wanna eat that blue mushroom! 

Welcome back, @Deja Vu!  I think I remember one of your posts about a car hitting your home?  If that wasn't you, I got it wrong.

Yes, a car hit my house. It was quite an ordeal but no lasting damage.

Have a great trip!

• Like 6
6 hours ago, Tja said:

Tragic, @Gentle Giant. So sad.

Hi, @Deja Vu. How you been?

Very cool, @cdrdash.

Have a good time, @Muledeer.

How to catch up on 3 years? Has been crazy. Lots of changes. Right now I'm recovering from 2 major back surgeries... the second to fix issues from the first. But only a week apart.

Left a long time role running a large dog training operation this fall. I'm in the process of winding down my involvement. The organization is dysfunctional, and the 8 hr a month commitment turned into 30 hrs a week. In addition to my day job. It was needing still more time investment to make it profitable. I know the business pretty well, which the Board really doesn't, so i have little hope it will turn around. Still it's bittersweet and i don't know where I'll be able to train after this.

My sister and i moved mom into assisted living, cleaned out her condo and sold it. It closed in early January.

Last news, I'm hoping to retire in 2020. I've got more research to do on this.

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Deja Vu said:

Last news, I'm hoping to retire in 2020. I've got more research to do on this.

Good luck! :) 

• Like 7

Welcome back, @Deja Vu  People don't retire from my line of work.  It is what used to be called a vocation and people are still musicians in their eighties - I have a long way to go :P -  performing, conducting, composing, teaching.  I do hope to be able to cut back my hours a bit as pensions start to kick in, to avoid getting stale and tired in my work.  

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

The predicted storm/rain has arrived! It actually feel almost chilly - crazy, but nice :D I guess that means there won't be any garden watering needed tomorrow morning, except for a couple of small areas under cover near the house. Even the young trees around the property are getting their share - great! The next week or so looks set to be cooler . . . hope the predictions are accurate! I hate hot weather :evil:

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Welcome back, @Deja Vu  People don't retire from my line of work.  It is what used to be called a vocation and people are still musicians in their eighties - I have a long way to go :P -  performing, conducting, composing, teaching.  I do hope to be able to cut back my hours a bit as pensions start to kick in, to avoid getting stale and tired in my work.  

As they say, if you love what you're doing you'll never work a day in your life. Good for you! My dad had that kind of career. I tried to change my directions several times, but I kept ending up back in IT which i do not like.

• Like 6
24 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

The Ground Hog did not see his shadow.  So instead of 6 more weeks of winter we just have a month and a half.

Where I live we always laugh at the doom and gloom.  Six more weeks of winter weather would mean it ended at least a month early.

• Like 8

Another weekend, another two hikes!

Saturday, Henry Coe State Park: https://photos.app.goo.gl/it3ELkHfbE4URETa8

Sunday, Don Edwards San Francisco Bay Wildlife Refuge: https://photos.app.goo.gl/rnYfHPV9F5r2dThf9

Watching The Super Bowl.  I am rooting for the San Francisco 49ers.  We are behind right now.

Cathy

• Like 7