anyone past 50 on here?

14 hours ago, Semisweet said:

If it’s a customer service situation, sure, but there are many other circumstances in which someone has cause to address a stranger or try to catch their attention. (Like a time a few months back when I woke up late, got dressed in a rush, and didn’t check myself in the mirror before heading out to work, and down the street someone called out “Ma’am! Ma’am!” to alert me to what I can only refer to as a wardrobe malfunction.:o:P)

I tend to use

Excuse me! and then EXCUSE ME!

to get attention in these type of circumstances. Gendering it is, I admit, about 50% more accurate, and age-related gendering better still,.

But OH, the dangers of getting it wrong are so great!

• Like 8

Grey hair can be lovely.  I colour mine, but a pupil's mum has had silver hair from the time I started teaching the daughter, and her hair looks stunning and not at all ageing.  Another lady I have started to teach has a wonderful mop of curly white hair which looks so distinguished - not at all like the  perms middle aged women were almost forced to have in the past.  I have a horrible feeling mine would just make me look older, so I will keep to colouring it for now.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, faraday☘ said:

I'm going to tell a story that I have not yet told @daveb.  I meant to, but I forgot!!!!  My vain brain wiped it from my memory until our discussions here.  It was the turning point of when I actually decided to color my hair back, and ditch the grey.  When we were in Montreal, we dinned at a little breakfast joint that we went to almost every morning.  I got up to use the bathroom, but I was struggling with the door as I was messing with my phone and trying to manage my cane.  The waitress saw me struggle, and asked me if I wanted her to take my phone over to my son.  So there you go Dave, you look young enough to be my kid.:lol:  

:lol: Well, I know some people who turned 40 recently and they thought that you were younger than them. :D (they didn't see you with gray hair though) :P 

1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

I tend to use

Excuse me! and then EXCUSE ME!

That's what I usually do, too.

Well, there is one advantage to getting older, you can get away with more. :lol: 

We actually got a little snow overnight! I woke up to find the last vestiges hanging around on my deck out back, where it melts slower than other spots. It's just a dusting and I didn't get to see it falling, but it's there. :) 

• Like 6

Hello @Place 

I've coloured my hair for years just because I sometimes liked change. The only difference is the colour I use now. It's much lighter than my when-I-was-young dark brown. Doesn't show the grey roots being lighter. 

Re the ways to address people, it's not the greeting of strangers that bothers me, but I do feel I can't be free with 'pet ' and ' chick' and 'chuck' any more. They'd be part of loads of sentences when I lived up north ( as in Do you want a cuppa, chuck? What did you say, pet?) Those things seem nice and friendly to me. though, in a sense, they didnt carry any real meaning, friendly or otherwise. They were just a natural way to end a sentence.

• Like 8
5 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Grey or silver hair is a trend.  It's quite popular to color your hair gray, even if you don't have any to speak of.  People go to great lengths to achieve that silver look!

Only until you develop the face/body that implies it could be real.  :(

• Like 9

We had rain yesterday in most of the bay area but we got snow on Mt Umunhum (3,488 feet or 1063 meters).   They had to close the road to the top.  It would have been fun to hike up there but the parking lot for the park is about 1/3 of the way up the road so it would be a long hike from the bottom of the road!   The wow factor of this picture really only hits if you live here and you don't usually see snow up there!   And besides, I was stuck at work while this was going on.  But it was fun to check out this video on the parks facebook page!  I'll have to go check the other mountain tops in the bay area and see if they got snowed on!

• Like 9
4 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

I'll have to go check the other mountain tops in the bay area and see if they got snowed on!

These two peaks also got snow but it looks like the peaks under 3000 feet did not get snow.

Mt Diablo 3,848  feet, 1170 meters

Mt Hamilton 4,265 feet, 1300 meters

I wonder how quickly it will all melt.  If I didn't have other plans for Saturday, Sunday, and Monday, I might head to one of those mountain tops to check it out.  I get Monday off for Martin Luther King day here in the USA so I'm heading into a 3 day weekend!

Cathy

• Like 6
4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Snow today 3 to 5 inches

31 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

we got snow on Mt Umunhum

Definitely more snow than I had here. :) 

(funny, talking about snow on mountain tops and gray hair on heads) :P 

• Like 8
Autumn Sunrise
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Only until you develop the face/body that implies it could be real.  :(

Lol!

I started going grey when I was still in my thirties . . . I think early greying is genetic, in my family :(. I used to dye my hair dark brown, which was its natural colour, but now I'm - ahem! - considerably older, I've changed to a softer mid gold-brown (have to mix it as all of the shades available are either too dark or too light :huh:). It also has the effect of making my thinning hair look thicker, so I'm pretty happy with the result :). My son is silver-grey, and has been for a few years, but on him it looks attractive and distinguished!

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Hello @Place 

I've coloured my hair for years just because I sometimes liked change. The only difference is the colour I use now. It's much lighter than my when-I-was-young dark brown. Doesn't show the grey roots being lighter. 

Re the ways to address people, it's not the greeting of strangers that bothers me, but I do feel I can't be free with 'pet ' and ' chick' and 'chuck' any more. They'd be part of loads of sentences when I lived up north ( as in Do you want a cuppa, chuck? What did you say, pet?) Those things seem nice and friendly to me. though, in a sense, they didnt carry any real meaning, friendly or otherwise. They were just a natural way to end a sentence.

You can call me "chuck" or "pet", luv. I wont mind.

• Like 7

@Semisweet A few posts (probably pages) back you asked about the pueblo Blancos I'd visited in Spain in addition to New Years Eve in Arcos de la Frontera (where you'd also been). I replied listing a few others we'd been to. How long were you there? And where else did you visit? They are so photogenic, aren't they?

And does everyone know the story of the village Juzcar? It's hilarious (or at least I think it is)

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

chuck

Don't call me that; it's the name of one of my not so favorite brothers. :mad:

47 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

And does everyone know the story of the village Juzcar? It's hilarious (or at least I think it is)

Is it like a one horse town (just one used car?)? :P 

• Like 5
11 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

Grey or silver hair is a trend.  It's quite popular to color your hair gray, even if you don't have any to speak of.  People go to great lengths to achieve that silver look!

I know! I've had people ask me for the number of the hairdresser who colours my hair which is weird considering ....

5 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Only until you develop the face/body that implies it could be real.

I have a face/body that implies it could be real yet still they ask. Maybe because ...

11 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

Grey hair can be lovely ...a pupil's mum has had silver hair from the time I started teaching the daughter, and her hair looks stunning and not at all ageing.

My mum had lovely silver grey hair which I am lucky to have inherited. Add to the fact that it is silver at the front and darker at the back, I guess people think it can't be natural.

• Like 8
53 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

the-fawlty-towers-issue-4.jpg

• Like 7

My gray hair is hiding in my dirty blond hair when viewed from a distance.  But if I look up close I can spot the gray pretty easily.

I have similar hair to my older sister so I expect it to look somewhat like this in 7 years.      [Note this is an experiment in using my drop box account to store a photo and insert it in a post.  Curious whether everyone will be able to see this].

p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5

• Like 4

@cdrdash, I'm using an Android mobile, and that picture doesn't show.

They're forecasting three days of sun here, which we badly need to let all the water drain away. If it was warmer we could grow rice instead of wheat. 

Greying hair is one thing, it's dissappearing hair that I don't like 😋

• Like 11

@Midland Tyke, my visit to the white villages was part of a weeklong driving trip that friends and I took around Andalucia. We based in Ronda for part of it and from there visited Arcos, Grazalema and Zahara.  We found them all quite charming and picturesque, even if some of the narrow twisty roads between them are a bit nerve-wracking.-_-

And I hadn’t heard of the Village Juzcar but just looked it up.:P

We’re due for our first “real” snowstorm of the winter today (till now we’ve had just a couple of light dustings), though I suspect it won’t amount to much seeing as the temperatures are likely going above freezing by late afternoon.

• Like 7

I can’t see it either... just a line of code.

They’ve been talking up a “blizzard” today all week here but the actual forecast is 2-4”...

• Like 5

I can’t see @cdrdash’s picture either.

We’re in a blizzard since yesterday. Got a lot of snow yesterday. Now it’s the wind. I’m glad I am home this weekend.

I started getting some grays in my 20s then in my 30s it got more noticeable. Now it is very noticeable and I like it. I only dyed it once when Mom said she thought it looked mousey. She paid for it to be done. It turned out nice, but I didn't want to have to keep it up and I absolutely couldn’t stand the fumes! It burned my eyes and didn’t want to breath it either. I had my eyes shut tight the whole time it was being done.

I looked a lot younger than I am for quite some time. Sometimes people still think I’m a kid, despite having gray hair and having some signs of aging in my face. These were elderly residents who thought that, so I guess their eyesight isn’t too good. I can see that I look older now. I probably still look younger than I am though.

• Like 9
5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

Yep.  I'd rather have grey hair than no hair.  Although, the grey hair does have different qualities to it - my grey hairs are more stiff and harder to lay down.  My temples are gradually greying with age.  And that damn bald spot on top just keeps getting balder.

I didn't see a picture either in @cdrdash's post, but that sure didn't stop us from talking about gray hair.😇

I went out looking at a litter of  German shepherd puppies yesterday.  They were sure cute but the breeding wasn't to my liking and the dad was a long hair.  I am studying and practicing puppy temperament testing.🐕

• Like 9
9 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Curious whether everyone will be able to see this

I guess I'm seeing what most others are, a broken picture icon and this text "p.jpeg?fv_content=true&size_mode=5"

5 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

14 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

And that damn bald spot on top just keeps getting balder.

That and that. :P 

As it is, I don't think I have much visible gray hair. Although I think my whiskers are probably mostly gray and/or white these days. Maybe I will let them grow out enough to be able to see for sure, but then, I prefer being clean-shaven. I'm sure if I did let my beard grow out I'd pass for an old geezer. :P 

• Like 7
38 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

I only dyed it once when Mom said she thought it looked mousey. She paid for it to be done. It turned out nice, but I didn't want to have to keep it up

I am way too lazy (and cheap!) to color my hair. And at 61, I expect to be partially gray.

42 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Yep.  I'd rather have grey hair than no hair.  Although, the grey hair does have different qualities to it - my grey hairs are more stiff and harder to lay down.  My temples are gradually greying with age.  And that damn bald spot on top just keeps getting balder.

Yes, gray hair definitely has a coarser quality (or at least mine does). And though I've noticed some thinning, no bald spots...yet! 🙄

• Like 8
20 minutes ago, teatree said:

gray hair definitely has a coarser quality

Mine, too.  My natural color is medium blond but I’ve been getting highlights and lowlights to camouflage the grey since I was 35 or so.

• Like 5

Ah well, the experiment was a negative success.  It shows that dropbox puts something extra on the picture that causes it not to be shareable with the insert image URL on this page.  For those curious here is a link to my sister's picture on google photos: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Z3jupecEkvMonzsG9 .

Cathy

• Like 7