anyone past 50 on here?

39 minutes ago, Tja said:

Stopped by the WAWA (convenience store) to pick up some lunch, and the woman in front of me paid for my purchase.

We wished each other a Merry Christmas. I actually got farklempt. I paid for the next guy in line.

Warmed the cockles, it did!:)

Where are cockles located?

• Like 6

Specifically the ventricles. :)

From dictionary.com:

warm the cockles of one's heart

Gratify one, make one feel good, as in It warms the cockles of my heart to see them getting along so well. This expression uses a corruption of the Latin name for the heart's ventricles, cochleae cordis. [Second half of 1600s]

• Like 6

Hello!  I tried to get caught up, but was only able to read the last 5 pages or so.  I saw a quote of mine about the Gilligan's Island, then followed by people wanting to make sure I was alive.:P  Sometimes with social media, I will withdraw for a period of time.  But I appreciate your concern!!:D

I do have some sad news to report, however.  Just last week I was diagnosed with stage 1 ductal carcinoma.  My mammogram showed some tumors.  They initially thought it was benign or pre-cancerous.  I freaked out anyway, and scheduled surgery immediately.  Upon biopsy, however, they discovered that it was in fact cancer.  So getting my surgery scheduled was a good thing.  Fortunately it's stage 1.  Although it's an aggressive type of cancer, and it has spread to other parts of my breast, it has not spread to my lymph nodes nor other parts of my body, though it is in both breasts.  I have another mammogram and ultrasound in  2 weeks to make sure it's not spreading.  The biopsy also noted that the tumors appeared old, like a couple of years old, and they don't seem to be currently growing.  So that's good.  They'll be able to get more info in pathology.  Nonetheless, I'm proceeding with the mastectomy.  I'm not doing any reconstruction, such as implants, but they will be reconstructing nipples.  So I can walk around topless if I want.:lol:  I'll be getting a tattoo later down the road.  

With that said, I do hope all is well.  I'm glad to see the old gang is still here!!!  Happy Christmas!!🎄

• Like 11
3 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

But I appreciate your concern!!:D

I didn't want to speak for you on the rest of the stuff. Best wishes and successful treatment!

Hopefully next year will end on a brighter note. :) 

Merry Christmas! 😸 🎄

• Like 6

*hugs*  @faraday☘.  Sounds like the best possible news under the circumstances... but that doesn’t make the circumstances themselves particularly palatable.

That’s my approach on things too... “no, I don’t want to wait and see what it does.  Make it go away now!”

• Like 7

(I checked my notifications and saw 47 and thought OMG what topic went wild?? but it was just a nice person catching up)

• Like 6

@faraday☘ So sorry you have breast cancer.  I had treatment four years ago and am still on meds.  Hugs and very best wishes for your treatment.

• Like 7

You're in my thoughts, @faraday☘. Hope all goes well! While not a "merry" time, I hope it's a peaceful holiday, for you. Best wishes!🎄Stay Strong!

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Tja said:

Stopped by the WAWA (convenience store) to pick up some lunch, and the woman in front of me paid for my purchase.

We wished each other a Merry Christmas. I actually got farklempt. I paid for the next guy in line.

Warmed the cockles, it did!:)

And here I thought you were in Wawa Ontario to see the giant Canada goose.

https://wawa.cc/about-wawa/wawa-ontario/our-famous-canada-goose

• Like 5
1 minute ago, will123 said:

And here I thought you were in Wawa Ontario to see the giant Canada goose.

I'd love to! Canada may be next on my list, for traveling.

I've wanted to try snowmobiling, and I hear Ontario is a good place to try.;)

• Like 6

Oh, wow, @faraday☘ good thing you got things done fast before it had a chance to spread. I have a good friend who still has some problems from having to have the lymph nodes removed, also. (And sort of lol about being able to walk around topless. And some of the post surgery tattoos are gorgeous)

I am working tomorrow, Christmas, and New Year’s Day -along with my regular schedule- but I don’t really mind. I am sort of bah humbug about this season in general, and this way my co-workers can have the holidays. And, yes, like @teatree, I can’t wait to retire!

• Like 7

@faraday☘, sorry to hear your medical news. I hope your followup testing finds no additional issues and wish you smooth sailing with the surgery. Your combination of proactiveness and maintaining a sense of humor about the situation should serve you well as you navigate through this stressful time. 

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, Mocha Jo said:

And, yes, like @teatree, I can’t wait to retire!

Same here! I’m hoping to be able to do that in < 3 years, if all goes well. This month has given me a fresh sense of what retirement could be like, as I’ve had a lot of days off (using up my remaining 2019 vacation time) and filled some of them with interesting activities I couldn’t otherwise fit into my schedule. January—one of the busiest months at my office—will be a rude awakening.:(

• Like 7
20 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

Same here! I’m hoping to be able to do that in < 3 years, if all goes well. This month has given me a fresh sense of what retirement could be like, as I’ve had a lot of days off (using up my remaining 2019 vacation time) and filled some of them with interesting activities I couldn’t otherwise fit into my schedule. January—one of the busiest months at my office—will be a rude awakening.:(

Been retired since 2004.  It takes a little time to adjust to it but I love it now and would not trade it for anything.

• Like 9
Autumn Sunrise
48 minutes ago, Semisweet said:

@faraday☘, sorry to hear your medical news. I hope your followup testing finds no additional issues and wish you smooth sailing with the surgery. Your combination of proactiveness and maintaining a sense of humor about the situation should serve you well as you navigate through this stressful time. 

Seconded! Hoping for the best possible outcome for your surgery, and *huge hugs*!

• Like 7
1 hour ago, Nick2 said:

Been retired since 2004.  It takes a little time to adjust to it but I love it now and would not trade it for anything.

It didn't take me any time to adjust. :D 

My mother had breast cancer, which had spread a bit into her lymph nodes, so she had a full mastectomy and some lymph node removal. That was 17 years ago and once she recovered from the surgery has had no problems on that score. Cancer is serious, but often treatable, especially when caught early enough and especially when it comes to things like breast cancer. Just pointing out it's not all doom and gloom - prognosis is often pretty favorable, all things considered. :) 

I agree with this:

2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Your combination of proactiveness and maintaining a sense of humor about the situation should serve you well as you navigate through this stressful time. 

• Like 9

I envy all you retirees and soon-to-be retirees.  I lost retiring in the divorce.

2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

Your combination of proactiveness and maintaining a sense of humor about the situation should serve you well

Completely agree!

• Like 8
36 minutes ago, daveb said:

It didn't take me any time to adjust. :D

I think I’ll adjust quickly in terms of what to do with my time once I retire, as I have lots of ideas for that. Working out the logistics on the retirement income and health care front seems much more daunting, but I assume I’ll figure those out just as others before me have done. ^_^ I’ve also started reading more on this topic, and just saw that a newly enacted law is changing some rules for US retirees—for instance, until now you’ve been required to start taking distributions from taxable retirement accounts at age 70 1/2, but that’s being raised to 72. 

• Like 10
4 hours ago, Nick2 said:

I've been officially retired for nine years (a two paid to stay home prior to that) now. I manage to keep occupied and do some travelling. 

A friend who retired at the same time will occasionally call and I'm never in the house. He hasn't figured it out that I'm not one to sit around and do nothing. Especially when there is outdoor work to do.

• Like 9

@faraday☘, sorry to hear that news, wishing you a swift recovery 🎂 🎂

@cdrdash, great photos, and safe travels

Sheeba set a new record this morning, waking me at 0315:mad:. My festive giggle, I received a Christmas card from my next door neighbours to me and the cats, with "pawprints" signature from their cats 😀

• Like 9

I turn 54 over the last summer but it's been long time since I have been here. I think I was in my 40's last time I visited.

Waves hello to all

Edited by DagonX
  • Like 10

Thanks so much for the kind words, it means the world to me!:)  My surgery is in February.  I mean it's not all bad, I don't have to worry about buying another bra again!!🤪

I'm off of work today, and for the rest of the week.  I plan on watching movies, and having Christmas dinner with a friend.  I'm surrounded by my dogs and cats, all sleeping on the couch, and barely leaving me room to type. 

• Like 9

@DagonX, welcome back 🎂 🎂

• Like 5

@faraday☘ We've missed you lately!  I'm sorry to hear of your health problems.  It is moments like these when a partner / spouse comes in handy for the support.   I'm glad you have you pets for support. as well as service.   I wish you the best of luck with your surgery.  I also wish you a Merry Christmas.  Following friends like you on this thread, and getting to know people in this way - it reminds me how life happens to all of us and we never know what the next battle will be or what surprises will come up next.

• Like 11
37 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

I don't have to worry about buying another bra again!!

Or wearing one!

• Like 6