anyone past 50 on here?

@Autumn Sunrise I had heard that forest fire fighters were heading down under. Not sure which province they're from. 

Ontario had a relatively quiet fire season last summer. Unlike 2018 when a fairly large fire (manmade caused) burned in a remote part of southern Ontario.

• Like 7
3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

The awful fires in Australia are on UK news as @Sleighcaptain says, but I think that, on the whole, UK news is very inward looking. To keep his Spanish language up, my husband reads several South American and Central American newspapers regularly. There are many ( sometimes awful) things happening but they rarely find their way into the news here. I'd say that UK news reflects certain sections  of UK history. Lots of stuff about Australia and the US. Not a whole heap of info about anywhere else. 

We've heard of the unrest in several South American countries, but until a Columbian AVENite (who I met in Toronto last summer) mentioned it in an email, I was unaware of protests there. Very scary the way she described it.

• Like 8

@Autumn Sunrise, thanks for a graphic portrayal of what it's truly like as we only get the basics here. Hope you, and all your friends stay safe. 

• Like 7

Ugh, @Autumn Sunrise; how awful for you, your neighbors, and all the domestic and wild animals living with/near you.  Agreed that “thoughts and prayers” from your national leaders aren’t all that comforting.

I wish the rest of us could send you our rain and snow.

*hugs*  You must be exhausted.  I hope you can get some rest.

• Like 7

@Autumn Sunrise. What an environment you face. The floods in the UK are (to me at least) much less scary that what you describe. The pictures of thick smoke around Sydney that I've seen (for too long now) in various media just look horrible . Being "ready to evacuate" must be incredibly scary. I'm sending hugs. If only I could send RAIN. Good luck! 

• Like 8
1 hour ago, will123 said:

Not sure which province they're from. 

The communication I saw said about 70-75 firefighters total from Newfoundland, Labrador, Quebec, Yukon, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia... so pretty much all over.

• Like 7

@Autumn Sunrise, have been reading posts from friends on FB about the awful fires down there. Just incredibly sad and awful. I hope they don’t turn around to your area.

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

wallaby

I hope the little critter will be okay.

Having lived half my life in southern California I think I have some idea of what widespread wildfires can be like. I hope it all gets under control as soon as possible and life can return to normal down there! I have seen some pics/news about the fires, and things like the amount of smoke in the air in places like Sydney. Very sad.

Here we had another rainy day. This rain has almost filled up the pond in my backyard (which had drained out pretty much completely while I was away in November). Anyway, I think we might get a break tomorrow and I can get out for a walk.

• Like 7
On 3/23/2019 at 12:57 PM, faraday☘ said:

A holiday for puppies!  I had no idea.  I spent puppy day with my pups, so it was well celebrated.

I'm an October baby too!!

Last spring my neighborhood endured a hailstorm.  It damaged my house significantly.  My roof had to be replaced.  However, not too long ago, I noticed that something was leaking.  They came back out, and now the whole roof needs to be replaced again.  They didn't place the under-layer properly.  Anyway, they will have to replace all the rotting and moldy wood in the attic as well as some insulation.  Fortunately, it didn't leak into the walls of the house.  What a pain!  At least I won't have a bill.

This morning I watched a Gilligan's Island reunion on YouTube.  I loved that show!!  Anyway, the character who played The Professor, referenced himself as being asexual and was not interested in the women on the Island.  I thought that was kinda interesting.  That reunion aired in 1998.:)

Yeah both Gilligan and the professor seemed to be very asexual. They had very little interest in women. The professor was too busy with science stuff and Gilligan was like a prepubescent not interested in serious things like relationships. 

• Like 7
2 hours ago, daveb said:

Having lived half my life in southern California I think I have some idea of what widespread wildfires can be like. I hope it all gets under control as soon as possible and life can return to normal down there! I have seen some pics/news about the fires, and things like the amount of smoke in the air in places like Sydney. Very sad.

Here we had another rainy day. This rain has almost filled up the pond in my backyard (which had drained out pretty much completely while I was away in November). Anyway, I think we might get a break tomorrow and I can get out for a walk.

Where in SoCal did you live Daveb? I grew up in Orange County and lived there a long time. 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, acematt said:

Where in SoCal did you live Daveb? I grew up in Orange County and lived there a long time. 

I grew up in San Diego and then lived near San Bernardino for about 20 years.

• Like 5

Thinking of Everyone during this time of flood & fire.

Hope all my Brit & Oz friends are ok!

• Like 9

Yes, I have missed @faraday☘  Also wishing safety to anyone affected by fire and flood.  The river levels are very high here and indeed rivers have burst their banks.  I should be OK as my house is on higher ground. 

• Like 6

@Mizzletoe, I think the Medway will just about be OK, apart from Yalding. We've a few dry days forecast, and the Leigh barrier has held the surge that came down the Eden on Friday. 

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Tja said:

Thinking of Everyone during this time of flood & fire.

Hope all my Brit & Oz friends are ok!

This...

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:
5 hours ago, Tja said:

Hope @faraday☘ is alright. Haven't seen her in a while.

...and this!

I know she is alive. :) 

• Like 7
22 minutes ago, daveb said:

I know she is alive. :) 

Hopefully not just alive but also well and happy!

• Like 5
18 hours ago, ryn2 said:

The communication I saw said about 70-75 firefighters total from Newfoundland, Labrador, Quebec, Yukon, Ontario, Manitoba, Saskatchewan, Alberta and British Columbia... so pretty much all over.

Yes, that pretty much covers it.

I know in the past that Hydro One (Ontario's electricity utility) employees are dispatched with bucket trucks to areas in the eastern US to assist after storms be they blizzards or hurricanes.

• Like 7
15 hours ago, daveb said:

Having lived half my life in southern California I think I have some idea of what widespread wildfires can be like.

In Ontario, most of our forest fires are in uninhabited portions of northern Ontario. Occasionally an indigenous settlement will have to be evacuated. We have small fires in southern Ontario as well. But due to proximity and our lakes, they are easily gotten under control.

• Like 6
45 minutes ago, will123 said:

In Ontario, most of our forest fires are in uninhabited portions of northern Ontario. Occasionally an indigenous settlement will have to be evacuated. We have small fires in southern Ontario as well. But due to proximity and our lakes, they are easily gotten under control.

I bet you rake them as well.

• Like 9
6 minutes ago, Nick2 said:

I bet you rake them as well.

LOL No! We're not as fastidious as the Finns...

• Like 7

I have to work only today and Thursday this week...yet am already mildly grumbling that I have to get off my butt and get moving this morning!!! Gosh, can't wait to be retired--5 years and 3 months to go....

• Like 9
33 minutes ago, teatree said:

Gosh, can't wait to be retired--5 years and 3 months to go....

Jealous!!

• Like 5

Got busy and have not posted in a while.  I am sitting in Chicago Ohare airport waiting for my flight to Houghton, Michigan where I will visit with my Mom for Christmas.  I am quite sleepy after the red eye flight from SF, Calif to Chicago.  Got some sleep but it is never very good when sitting up right in an airplane seat!

Hope the Australian fires subside soon and the weather improves.  It is just awful.

Went hiking on Saturday in a San Jose park: https://photos.app.goo.gl/5RrmJ9zQL5Gh2pv48

• Like 9

Stopped by the WAWA (convenience store) to pick up some lunch, and the woman in front of me paid for my purchase.

We wished each other a Merry Christmas. I actually got farklempt. I paid for the next guy in line.

Warmed the cockles, it did!:)

• Like 11