anyone past 50 on here?

3 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

I think most vets refer to pets like that. It's partly because pets are part of the family, and partly to avoid confusion if there's two similar animals with the same name

Agreed, at least where I live all vets track the pets by their family name.

• Like 6

Regarding our election, I am not a happy bunny.

• Like 9
9 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

@Mizzletoe, I think most vets refer to pets like that. It's partly because pets are part of the family, and partly to avoid confusion if there's two similar animals with the same name

As for our election, I think that Corbout made Labour unelectable to many, as he's too far left. Also there were a lot of people who would otherwise have voted Labour, but are Brexiteers, so voted Conservative to get things through 

I heard a tragic story on the TV news yesterday about two pets with the same name at the vet.  One dog was there for a major medical problem and needed surgery.  Another dog with the same name was there for a routine procedure - like spaying.  The pet needing surgery was given authorization to be put down since the owners couldn't afford it.  Unfortunately, the other dog with the same name was euthanized by mistake.  The owners of the healthy dog were very upset despite the fact the vet provided free cremation and waived their bill.  If the pets at the vet were referred to by their surname as well as their first name, it might not have happened.

Regarding the UK election, I'm sorry it turned out that way.   I had hopes that somehow, you would have figured out how to remain in the EU.  Now you are assured a swift Brexit led by a buffoon baby Trump who doesn't know how to tell the truth.  I hope it all works out and I do wish all my friends in the UK a Kingdom that will, indeed, remain United.

• Like 11

@Muledeer

I don't want to even heart that because that story is so terrible. I feel so bad for those owners (and that poor pet)! I'm wondering if there's also a procedure (or maybe there should be one) to scan the microchip before every really big procedure like surgery or euthanization just to be sure it's the right pet.

It's terrible, and I'm a terrible person for thinking it, but part of me is a bit glad that our UK friends have joined us in this political hellscape. Let's all enjoy this handbasket together in solidarity and disbelief!

• Like 9
13 hours ago, Mizzletoe said:

Is Christmas Pudding popular in the US?  

It's not really a thing here (except maybe in households that have very recent ties to the UK).

5 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Regarding our election, I am not a happy bunny.

I feel bad for you guys. I'm really worried about how ours might turn out next year.

2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

waived their bill

How generous! (sarcasm) :( 

Seriously, that's just ridiculous. The vet should be fined or something. I know mistakes happen, but that kind of mistake should be strongly guarded against.

The rain they were expecting here today hasn't happened so I was able to get out for a nice walk in the woods this morning. It was actually fairly warm (mid 40F or more).

• Like 10

Oh well, all presents delivered and received, that's Christmas finished for me :P

There is a slight pet dispute going on in Sky Towers. Susie and Sheeba are claiming to be hungry, but as they have barely touched tea I'm saying "no". They are giving me the stares, the grumps, the claw flexes etc 

• Like 9
Mysearchbroughtme_here

The UK is not ready for Brexit. In reality it would take 10 years to put the infrastructure in place. The Farming Industry would be decimated and what about the supplies of vital Medicines? The main job of Politicians is to make sure there's a job for Politicians. This run of Tory government started with Tony Blair. As for Corbyn, I've never known an opposition leader get so little press coverage. My biggest complaint is that people actually voted for some who truly believes that the British electorate are stupid. He didn't even treat us to good lies. I'll probably find out that this should have been posted elsewhere but I'm claiming Junior Membership!

• Like 9
9 minutes ago, Astraios said:

I'll probably find out that this should have been posted elsewhere but I'm claiming Junior Membership!

Yeah, there is this thread:

That's not to say we don't talk about all sorts of things in the 50s thread. But speaking personally, I try to avoid too much politics here. We get enough of it in many other places. Sometimes it's nice to have a break. You know? :) 

• Like 6
Mysearchbroughtme_here

Thanks @daveb I will in future if I get the urge again. 😊

Edited by Astraios
  • Like 8

I do feel for Britain that they seem to have a trump lite. No one deserves that. I swear the human race is devolving.

@Muledeer what a horrible story! I don’t consider my animals my kids, but more like my partners or pack (of which I am the leader). I would be totally devastated.

• Like 8

It seems like too many people these days are focused on winning (in the “hah, I won” sense) instead of actual problem-solving,

In politics/voting, I mean...

• Like 6
3 hours ago, daveb said:

speaking personally, I try to avoid too much politics here. We get enough of it in many other places. Sometimes it's nice to have a break. You know? :) 

I agree 100%, though it’s definitely challenging to avoid the subject these days since it’s nearly always top of mind.:(

So I’ll switch to a lighter note. I recently went for a bone density scan, and the technician needed to verify my information before starting the scanner. Despite looking right at my 60ish self and having my birthdate on her information sheet, she asked in total seriousness, “Is there any chance you could be pregnant?” :huh:  Um, speaking of dense...:lol:

• Like 10
2 hours ago, Astraios said:

Thanks @daveb I will in future if I get the urge again. 😊

No worries :) 

I was in Cardiff for a couple of days a few years ago. I enjoyed visiting the castle and the park around it/near it, and the "arcades/shops". I was hoping to have a little more time to spend there, but train delays caused me to arrive later than I had planned and I had other places to go to afterwards (and a flight to catch). Seemed like a nice city from what I saw of it.

• Like 8

@Semisweet, it's probably the sort of question they are required to ask every AFAB person. They'll have a checklist of things to do, and ask before every procedure, no ifs no buts. Same as if you get asked for ID when buying an age restricted product and you're old enough to be the cashier's parent. They don't know if you're an undercover inspector, and are just following the rules.

@daveb, yes, Cardiff is a nice city. Without going to the museum or going to the waterfront you've seen the main area. Even though we're talking about the capital of Wales, it's still a relatively small place, urban area population (including suburbs) is only 447 000

• Like 7
Autumn Sunrise

@daveb your mention of Cardiff Castle brought back happy memories :) It was one castle that didn't seem to have so many brutalities  associated with it, but I think it was built relatively late in history. I visited Cardiff a couple of times, and one of the best places (I thought) was a "living museum" place called St Fagins ( I believe it was later renamed, but I can't remember to what). We (my daughter and I) also visited the modern museum: it was "off season" and not very busy, and they insisted that we were "students" :lol: and only charged us half price for admission :D

• Like 9
7 hours ago, Sleighcaptain said:

it's probably the sort of question they are required to ask every AFAB person.

*nods* it’s in the mandatory screening questions up to age 70 in the systems where I work.

• Like 5
1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

it’s in the mandatory screening questions up to age 70 in the systems where I work.

Wow. Well, I guess you do see the occasional story about an expectant mother well above the typical upper age limit. Still seems rare, though. In my case, I just chuckled and told the tech that being pregnant would be a medical miracle.

• Like 6

Yeah, it’s highly unlikely anyone even 10 years younger than that would be pregnant but they definitely err on the side of caution.

I had bite-wing xrays at the dentist this week and felt extra-old when the hygienist (who was, like, 25) *didn’t* ask me.  There’s just no pleasing everyone!  XD 

• Like 5
53 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

I had bite-wing xrays at the dentist this week and felt extra-old when the hygienist (who was, like, 25) *didn’t* ask me.

They never asked me when I got x-rays. :P 

Our weather has been decent enough the last few days I've been able to get out for my morning walks in the woods. I've been tracking it and I end up walking close to 5 miles each time I go. I got myself a fitbit, and have managed to walk more than 12,000 steps each of the last couple of days (assuming it's reasonably accurate). :) 

• Like 8

Hike today at Castle Rock Park started out cold and misty but when we got to hiking we all warmed up and about an hour into the hike the fog started burning off and we got some sunshine.   Pictures at https://photos.app.goo.gl/bvCvff327ZGYBNy38.

After the hike I went to Stanford to watch the women's volleyball team play Penn State in the quarter finals of the NCAA women's volleyball tournament.   Stanford won, hurray!   They are now in the final four and will travel to Pittsburgh for the next match.   So my season of watching volleyball in person is over.  I may watch it on TV next Thursday evening.

Now it is on to watching the Stanford Women's Basketball team play in person.    I have season tickets. They are playing Ohio State University tomorrow and will play Tennessee on Wednesday night.  Then there is a bit of a gap for the holidays before the regular season starts.

Cathy

• Like 8
Custard Cream
8 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Yeah, it’s highly unlikely anyone even 10 years younger than that would be pregnant but they definitely err on the side of caution.

I had bite-wing xrays at the dentist this week and felt extra-old when the hygienist (who was, like, 25) *didn’t* ask me.  There’s just no pleasing everyone!  XD 

Yeah, my dentist never asked me, even when I was in my 20s and 30s...

• Like 6

@cdrdash, great photos. You're lucky having that sort of scenery so close.

• Like 6
5 hours ago, Custard Cream said:

Yeah, my dentist never asked me, even when I was in my 20s and 30s...

Mine asked me until my last visit, but my previous two hygienists at this office were roughly my age.  I liked this hygienist much better than the last one, though, even if she clearly sees me as a grandma.

• Like 6

Update on my ex's cat: he has been unable to find a placement for her, and at this point she is considered "unadoptable."  He has kept his vet in the loop during the process, and the vet agrees that the cat is too aggressive to place.  We're sure there is someone somewhere who would do as well with the cat as he has, but there is just not enough time to find that person (if he ever could find them).  The vet will euthanize the cat this Tuesday afternoon.  It is a very sad time for both my ex and me.

He left town this morning to take a load of his belongings to Utah, but will be back tomorrow night (that is a crazy amount of driving in two days--13 hours each way), and I'll be spending the night at his place with the doomed kitty.

• Like 6
38 minutes ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

Update on my ex's cat: he has been unable to find a placement for her, and at this point she is considered "unadoptable."  He has kept his vet in the loop during the process, and the vet agrees that the cat is too aggressive to place.  We're sure there is someone somewhere out there who would do as well with the cat as he has, but there is just not enough time to find that person (if he ever could find them).  The vet will euthanize the cat this Tuesday afternoon.  It is a very sad time for both my ex and me.

Too aggressive to people? Other animals? (And is this Warrior, the little cat you took in at one point?)

• Like 7

DSC00290b.jpg

Yard Peak.  It is a panoramic reflection image taken during my wilderness trek last summer.  I included it in my Christmas letter this year.

• Like 12