anyone past 50 on here?

11 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I’m sorry!  That’s hard.

Thanks, it does feel like the end of an era. 😢😢

8 hours ago, daveb said:

mmm, pie

what kind?

Rhubarb/raspberry.  Rhubarb is pretty much a vegetable, so my wild guess is that you'd keep your distance. 😋

56 minutes ago, Sleighcaptain said:

Whoa mama, Suzie has the zoomies 

Hahaha!

55 minutes ago, Mocha Jo said:

The cats keep trying to convince me that they haven’t eaten at all while I was gone (actually two of them are looking a bit chunky).

😸😸😸

I'm a bit worried that I'm the one chunkifying a cat for her owner.  I've been petsitting a cat at my place for the past four weeks (with two more weeks to go), and I think she has a tighter, rounder middle than when she first arrived.  My bad.

@Mocha Jo, how many cats do you have?

• Like 7
49 minutes ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

Rhubarb/raspberry.  Rhubarb is pretty much a vegetable, so my wild guess is that you'd keep your distance. 😋

Actually, it sounds good. My grandmother used to make a strawberry rhubarb pie that was tasty.

Also, condolences on your best friend moving away. Having a best friend is good (better if they are closer though).

• Like 8
56 minutes ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

I'm a bit worried that I'm the one chunkifying a cat for her owner. 

Mine chunk up so badly when I’m away!

• Like 4
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Mine chunk up so badly when I’m away!

I do feel bad about it, and am trying to turn the ship around.  The petsitting is for a friend of a friend who has not contacted me once since dropping off the cat.  When she did drop her off, she was in a hurry, and almost left without giving instructions. I asked for feeding instructions, and she said just fill the bowl and the cat will self-regulate.

Ay yai yai...

• Like 7
1 hour ago, daveb said:

Actually, it sounds good. My grandmother used to make a strawberry rhubarb pie that was tasty.

My mother has always mixed berries in with rhubarb pie. I'm guessing it's a bit bland without them?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

I do feel bad about it, and am trying to turn the ship around.  The petsitting is for a friend of a friend who has not contacted me once since dropping off the cat.  When she did drop her off, she was in a hurry, and almost left without giving instructions. I asked for feeding instructions, and she said just fill the bowl and the cat will self- regulate.

Ay yai yai...

I feel like when I’m not home they must just lie around and eat.

Hard for you to do the job right with no instructions, for sure!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, will123 said:

My mother has always mixed berries in with rhubarb pie. I'm guessing it's a bit bland without them?

It’s actually quite sour.  It needs sugar and sweet fruit to counter that.

• Like 6
4 hours ago, daveb said:

I was so wrong!

(So maybe you just haven't had enough sugar with your broccoli. 😂)

2 hours ago, will123 said:

I'm guessing it's a bit bland without them?

No, not bland at all.

55 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

It does need sugar, but does not need fruit.  Straight rhubarb pie is wonderful.

• Like 6

I love rhubarb in pies and in crumbles. I usually add some raisins because I like things sweet. It's such an easy plant to grow although, apparently, the best rhubarb in the UK is grown in something called 'the rhubarb triangle' which is somewhere near Leeds and Wakefield, I think. @Midland Tyke would know: we're talking Yorkshire. Hoping the weather will stay dry today because I'm meeting some AVENers later. (Life is ironic, isn't it? I want it dry. @Autumn Sunrise is so desperate for rain. Like everyone else here, I do hope you get some soon, Autumn Sunrise)

Re the cat tails, cats are soooo clever when it comes to getting food.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

It does need sugar, but does not need fruit.  Straight rhubarb pie is wonderful.

Fair, if you like the taste of it.  I don’t and always figured it was a vehicle to stretch more expensive fruit (Depression-era parents).  :)

• Like 5
10 hours ago, ryn2 said:

I know she puts a lot of sugar on the pie before putting the top pie crust on it.

• Like 5
1 minute ago, will123 said:

I know she puts a lot of sugar on the pie before putting the top pie crust on it.

It’s not the same taste, but the situation is similar to cranberries; the taste we associate with it/them actually includes a lot of added sugar.

• Like 6

I like rhubarb, about once or twice during the summer.  It is the only plant that I can make a desert from which grows in the mountains.  

I wouldn't try eating rhubarb as a vegetable without adding a lot of sugar.  Other than pie or stewed rhubarb, I wouldn't know how to prepare it.  My favorite summer desert is stewed rhubarb spooned over a strawberry toaster pastry (Pop Tart) topped with whipped cream.

Yesterday, I had a plumber come to unclog my drains.  The bathroom sink drain was completely blocked and it could not be cleared.  The drain line will need to be replaced, costing a lot of money.  The pipes have collapsed.   The main sewer drain line from my home to the city sewer is clogged with roots.  It broke their equipment but they did get a mass of roots out enough to run a camera down there and assess the problems.  I will need to have it dug up, scoured out, and install a liner in it, costing well over $10,000.  It was cleared enough that the sewer can be used sparingly, for now. 

In the midst of my plumbing adventure, my friend sent me a cheery, "good morning" text message.  I had just viewed the camera inspection and realized the extent of my problems so I responded:

Spoiler

"shitstick motherfucker  #sewer problems"  the word "shitstick" is an inside joke going back to a sewer repair job I helped him with many years ago.

But instead of sending it to my friend, I accidentally sent it to the dispatch office of the plumbing company, as that was the last message I had received telling me the plumber was on his way.  After hitting the send button, I realized my error, told the plumbers who were here and they assured me it would not be read as those text messages are generated automatically.  Almost a half hour went by and I thought I better send an apology for the crude language, just in case it did get read:  "um...sorry, that message was meant for my friend, I apologize"   Shortly thereafter, I got a text response from the plumbing company saying "LOL, the whole office is laughing!"  and they also called the plumber, who was still working on my drain, with this funny story🥵

I hope nobody was offended and that a good laugh was had by all, at my expense.  My friend to whom that message was intended thought it was the funniest thing he had ever heard.

• Like 9
10 hours ago, Snegurochka McLouWho said:

(So maybe you just haven't had enough sugar with your broccoli. 😂)

I don't think there is enough sugar for that. :P 

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

costing well over $10,000.

Yikes!

(funny (but expensive) texting story though)

We are having a rainy day where I live. :) 

• Like 4

Rhubarb strawberry pies are delicious, especially when made with fresh rhubarb. It does take a ton of sugar, but that tart sweetness is just so good. I miss my mother's baking.

@Muledeer

Yikes, good luck with the plumbing. Honestly that text seems rather level-headed to me, considering how much it's going to cost. I also like how they assured you the wouldn't possibly be read and then admitted the entire office had read it, haha. Still, best of luck with that. Does the plumbing work at all in the meantime, or are you stuck until they replace the pipes considering it involves the main line?

• Like 7

@Catpaws The plumbing works for now, but not the bathroom sink.  Not the first problem of this nature - the home is about 60 years old so those things happen.   Damn trees.

• Like 8

That bill sounds awful @Muledeer 😮 Glad the plumbing office had a sense of humour.

I can't eat rhubarb as it would interfere with my meds. :(  I used to love rhubarb crumble (with lots of sugar and a sprinkling of ginger.)

I may have decorated the Christmas tree a bit early.  Someone is looking out for Father Christmas. :P

20191207-161748-resized.jpg

• Like 10
1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

But instead of sending it to my friend, I accidentally sent it to the dispatch office of the plumbing company

😂

26 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Damn trees.

Laughed at this too, though not at the plumbing problems.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, Mizzletoe said:

I used to love rhubarb crumble (with lots of sugar and a sprinkling of ginger.)

Yummm.  Ginger sounds like a great addition.

5 minutes ago, Mizzletoe said:

I may have decorated the Christmas tree a bit early.  Someone is looking out for Father Christmas. :P

Lovely photo.  Is that two animals or just the cat's fluffy tail?

• Like 6

@Muledeer sorry the plumbing issue will be expensive to fix!  My previous house had the tree issues (made even more annoying by the fact that it was the last vestiges of a tree that had been cut down long before I owned the place, so I didn’t even get to enjoy it!)...  I was fortunate to have a small front yard, so it wasn’t quite that expensive, but I feel your pain.

And OMG funny texting error.  I’m sure you made their day back at the office! 

• Like 6

I'm off to the holiday bazaar at my school.  I'll pick up my two granddaughters on the way.  They love to do their Christmas shopping at this event, and it is really delightful to watch the younger one count out the pennies, dimes and nickels from the jar she totes along.

• Like 7
24 minutes ago, Mizzletoe said:

I can't eat rhubarb as it would interfere with my meds.

I’m anticoagulated, but the issue there is rhubarb-caused diarrhea (which not everyone gets) rather than a direct interaction.  That’s true for most (but not all; kidney issues are the big exception) medications where rhubarb is an issue.

It figures that someone who really likes it can’t have it, whereas I (who don’t like it) can as long as I’m careful about moderation.

~

I do like broccoli, though.  And Brussels sprouts.  And cabbage.  :)

• Like 6

@ryn2  Rhubarb can prevent the absorption of calcium.  I have to take calcium supplements as I am on another med that causes my bones to thin.

@Snegurochka McLouWho  Just one fluffy dog wagging a bushy tail.

@Muledeer  He is au naturel.  He has what is called a shaded sable colouring, which means he has quite a bit of darker fur on his sides.  He also has some grey, as he has a bit of blue merle colouring.  That is why he also has eyes with a mix of brown and blue.

20190713-164828.jpg

• Like 6
10 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I love rhubarb in pies and in crumbles. I usually add some raisins because I like things sweet. It's such an easy plant to grow although, apparently, the best rhubarb in the UK is grown in something called 'the rhubarb triangle' which is somewhere near Leeds and Wakefield, I think. @Midland Tyke would know: we're talking Yorkshire.

I love rhubarb and have done for as long as I can remember. Parents grew some in the garden. I had a crown in my garden a few years ago but it didn't take, so I have to buy it from time to time. I also make a crumble and add ground ginger into the fruit. It's a classic combination. Unlike others I don't feel it needs huge quantities of sugar. But then I like my fruit crumbles to be quite tart. Mmmm, tasty!

On the subject of "Yorkshire Rhubarb" this is a very strange practice, whereby Rhubarb is 'forced' by depriving the plant of light. The plant responds by growing thin delicate pink stalks. When harvested young these stalks are sweeter than older un-forced (and typically green) stalks. It has been practised in the so-called triangle for a long time. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rhubarb_Triangle for more reading. "Yorkshire Rhubarb" has been granted protected-name status and only applies to this very small area. Personally I prefer the older, less sweet green stuff. Horses for courses!

And @Muledeer your texting tale did make me laugh. Sorry about the cost of the drain, though. Ouch!

• Like 9
1 hour ago, Mizzletoe said:

Rhubarb can prevent the absorption of calcium.  I have to take calcium supplements as I am on another med that causes my bones to thin.

He is au naturel.

That’s a nuisance too (meds)!

What a beautiful dog...  

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

I've always liked rhubarb - with plenty of sweetening, of course :D I lived with my grandmother when I was tiny, and she had a big clump growing "down the lane", which she often used for puddings. I suspect it was a depression-era dish, but she had the ability to make anything tasty (although I except tripe . . . ugh! :mad:)

@Muledeer I'm sorry you're having so much bother and expense with your plumbing! I hope you and the plumber can find a reasonably cost-effective solution.

That's a beautiful Chrristmas tree, @Mizzletoe . . . and a very sweet picture of Little Dog :wub:

I don't quite know what we're going to do for a Christmas tree this year. We usually buy a live one from the RFS: they have a contract to cut lots of thinnings from an old pine plantation, because these (non native) trees are classed as weeds, but with all the massive fires they're fighting at the moment I don't know whether there'll be any firies free to go tree-cutting. That's a problem for them as well as (a small one) for us, because lots of people buy from them, and the sale of Christmas trees is their main fund-raiser for the year.

We may have to resurrect the old artificial tree from the cupboard under the stairs :o If we do, it will be a major undertaking because the tree is in the furthest, least accessible place and everything will have to come out, so I foresee a major "spring cleaning" operation, and I think the only ones who will enjoy that will be the cats :lol:

It's very overcast this morning, but the air doesn't smell very fresh so I think it's at least partly smoke from the fires . . . oh for some rain!

Well, I'm off to feed the chickens . . .  and the tame wood ducks, and a couple of young and slightly tame magpies . . . :lol:

• Like 8