anyone past 50 on here?

It has rained so much around here recently that the golf course is unfit for play. Yesterday was a bit miserable anyway, with lots of cloud and mizzle (a combination of drizzle and mist, for those not familiar with the word. It's very useful in Autumn England).  So I was pleased with myself when I forced myself out for a walk instead of my usual Wednesday golf. I was rewarded with some lovely tree scenery in woods not far from my house. The surrounding farmland was pretty saturated. Some people here asked what saturated farmland was. Well, here's some pictures, as well as some more attractive ones of the trees.

ptIeTSu.jpg

X61iFM5.jpg

b1Yg6i3.jpg

LXxUaMt.jpg

k1QPpig.jpg

xOTIza1.jpg

• Like 10

I am feeling so proud of myself! I have finally - after GREAT trials and tribulation - managed to upload an audio version of my short story Scar Ghyll Levels  to Youtube along with nearly 200 photos of the setting. The setting is the Arkengarthdale area of north Yorkshire and I'm pretty sure that @Midland Tyke will recognise some of the shots of derelict mines and settlements. Ironically, given Midland Tyke's  photos of saturated ground (and lovely trees), some of the scenery in my photos was under water just a week or so after I was there. Huge devastation and, I happen to know, lots of sheep sadly drowned, although no people did. It's a bit of a lengthy upload (close on 30 minutes) but if anyone should like to look and/or listen , it's searchable as   sgl asexual audio story   and clickable on this link https://youtu.be/M6xSuQ9utWg

I've noted a TW in the description. Around the 22 minute mark. I'll put a mention on Open Mike. 

Hello @morgane

• Like 8
5 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Well, here's some pictures,

Beautiful!  (And wet.)

3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I have finally - after GREAT trials and tribulation - managed to upload an audio version of my short story Scar Ghyll Levels 

Congrats, Tunhope!

• Like 7

@Tunhope, congratulations 🎊 🎊

In parts of Yorkshire they've had 100mm of rain, and serious flooding 

• Like 5
4 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I am feeling so proud of myself! I have finally - after GREAT trials and tribulation - managed to upload an audio version of my short story Scar Ghyll Levels  to Youtube along with nearly 200 photos of the setting. The setting is the Arkengarthdale area of north Yorkshire and I'm pretty sure that @Midland Tyke will recognise some of the shots of derelict mines and settlements. Ironically, given Midland Tyke's  photos of saturated ground (and lovely trees), some of the scenery in my photos was under water just a week or so after I was there. Huge devastation and, I happen to know, lots of sheep sadly drowned, although no people did. It's a bit of a lengthy upload (close on 30 minutes) but if anyone should like to look and/or listen , it's searchable as   sgl asexual audio story   and clickable on this link https://youtu.be/M6xSuQ9utWg

I've noted a TW in the description. Around the 22 minute mark. I'll put a mention on Open Mike. 

Hello @morgane

I must admit that the subject matter and the TW made me think twice about the content. And I do so love that part of Yorkshire. So I 'watched' your audio book with the sound on mute. Sorry! But the photos! Oh I loved them so much! As you say, I recognise the area if not the exact locations really well. Beautiful, to my eyes. 

• Like 6

Beautiful to me , too, @Midland Tyke , and I'm so glad you liked the photos. Appreciate the story content isn't everyone's cup of tea. 

• Like 6
15 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

as well as some more attractive ones of the trees.

Nice woods for walking! :) 

Welcome and :cake: , @morgane!

• Like 4
Autumn Sunrise
8 hours ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

@Tunhope, congratulations 🎊 🎊

In parts of Yorkshire they've had 100mm of rain, and serious flooding 

I'm sorry to hear that people got badly flooded, but oh, for a serious rainfall here! We had about 17 mm a week or so ago but nothing since, and nothing in the offing :( The level of water in our little dam is about a metre below the top . . . I don't know how far it goes down in the deepest part, but I have a nasty feeling we may be going to find out. Not surprisingly, we don't seem to have nearly as many ducks around as we usually do . . . I wonder where they go?

We've been keeping watch over a nest with three baby fairy wrens, in the lavender bush near our front door. The entire flock (extended family?) seems to have been working together to keep the babies fed. The nest is empty now, so I hope they fledged safely - we didn't see them leave, but they certainly seemed big enough, and well feathered, so here's hoping! It's lovely having the tiny wrens so close to the house - they're so pretty, and their silvery chirping is lovely to hear. They seem to appreciate the shallow dish of water we keep filled for them :)

Welcome, @morgane :cake: :cake: :cake: If you're the baby here, then I'm old enough to be your mother :lol: but it's a nice, friendly thread, whatever our various ages!

• Like 10
36 minutes ago, Autumn Sunrise said:

We've been keeping watch over a nest with three baby fairy wrens,

Awww...what a lovely story.  I had to google fairy wrens; they are adorbs!  I don't think we have them here.

• Like 7

I actually remembered one of my boring dreams today. :)  I have had the shed refurbished recently and in my dream I woke to find it had collapsed overnight.  The wooden sides had great gaps in them, the windows had fallen out...it was very sad.  I can see meaning immediately for it, but might Google collapsed refurbished sheds to see what comes up. :P

• Like 9
3 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

I actually remembered one of my boring dreams today.

Same!  I was biking with a group of people who were in their cars... worked hard to get across traffic safely, and to get up a hill, and was about halfway up when one of the people I was with called out that I’d gone the wrong way.  She was right; I’d turned one street early.

Then I woke up.

• Like 6
7 hours ago, ms. mortricia said:

I love the big horizontal pic, with golden trees.

Happy to show them to you, next time you are passing.....

• Like 5

"Dreams of broken things may be asking you to honour what is passing"  

So I looked up dreaming of broken things, and the meaning included the above.  Strangely appropriate as my elderly first cousin once removed has died suddenly.  Obviously my brain is trying to come to terms.  It has been a sad time, he had been kind to me since my mother died, invited me to stay each year, invited me for Christmas one year, and I stayed with him and his wife every summer.  They became like an honorary aunt and uncle to me.  Fortunately I can get to his funeral and say a fond farewell.

No idea why the text is all coming out in such a strange way.

• Like 7

It has been a busy week at work and after work.  Lots of volleyball games and basketball games and meetings to go to after work.  Don't think I have tuned in here for several days. 

I took the afternoon off from work to drive to Point Reyes hostel where I will be staying for 3 nights and doing lots of hiking, reading, and resting off the grid (no cell phone signals, and no wifi).  However I got an email from the hostel about 2 hours ago that their water is off and they may have to close tonight.    Then about 30 minutes ago I got another email that the park anticipates fixing the water problem this afternoon.  So now I'm sitting here hoping they are correct and the water will be fixed this afternoon and I can jump in my car and head up for the weekend!  Send good plumbing vibes to the park employees fixing it!!!    If they fail to fix it, I'll stay home tonight and hope they can fix it on Saturday and I can stay there for at least 2 nights.   

If I can get to Point Reyes, you won't be hearing from me till Monday evening!   We get Veterans day off from work on Monday!

Cathy

• Like 7

@Mz Terry Sorry for your loss.  I'm glad you can attend the Service that may help put some closure to your relationship.  

@Midland Tyke Now I see what you mean by soggy farmland!  I wouldn't want to hike through that much mud.

I hope your holiday weekend goes well, @cdrdash  Here's hoping the plumbing issues get resolved so you can stay there.

I had a wonderful nature experience this afternoon.  I may post a story on the nature thread.

• Like 7

@cdrdash, hope the plumbing is fixed, and fair weather for the hiking

I hope none of our Australian friends have been caught up in the bushfires. It's a pity we can't export our surplus rain to you to extinguish them. 

Autumn is late here, we're well into November and a lot of trees are still in their gold and red leaved glory. 

• Like 7

Not much here to catch up on. Working this weekend, but I don’t mind. Weekends are easy- there are many fewer people to please and only 2 docs to work with.

Winter is finally arriving with cold temps. I had to get my winter coat out and hat and gloves. But only snow flurries so far. The wood is all in, everything is pretty well set, and I am ready for winter. Warm weather held on way too long so we went from too warm to winter in about 3 days.

• Like 8

I have a new roommate!  She's been here for two hours, under the bed the whole time -- I haven't heard a peep out of her.  This is the kitty of a friend of a friend who has just moved from Utah.  The FoF (friend of friend) needs a place for her cat to stay while she looks for an apartment that allows pets.

Kitty is traumatized, of course.  She spent all day yesterday in the car driving from Utah, and then last night at a different house because they were going to be arriving so late.  Pobrecita!

• Like 8
On 11/9/2019 at 10:59 AM, Skycaptain said:

Autumn is late here, we're well into November and a lot of trees are still in their gold and red leaved glory. 

20191110-094101-resized-3.jpg

Beautiful and sunny in the park this morning.:)

• Like 10

Pretty, @Mz Terry!

@ms. mortricia I hope your temporary friend settles in and the two of you have a chance to get to know one another.

~

At the tail end of a very short weekend in NYC seeing friends/catching Betrayal. About to walk from my hotel back down to Penn, four hours’ sleep, regretting my choices.  XD

• Like 7
6 hours ago, ms. mortricia said:

I have a new roommate!  She's been here for two hours, under the bed the whole time -- I haven't heard a peep out of her.  This is the kitty of a friend of a friend who has just moved from Utah.  The FoF (friend of friend) needs a place for her cat to stay while she looks for an apartment that allows pets.

Kitty is traumatized, of course.  She spent all day yesterday in the car driving from Utah, and then last night at a different house because they were going to be arriving so late.  Pobrecita!

@ms. mortricia that so rings a bell. When my husband and I brought our last cat home... straight under the furniture and wouldn't come out. Finally tempted out of hiding with some food and my husband said ' He's trotting over' which sounded like a Russian female surname (Trotinova). As he was a he, not a she, I said No, he's Trotinov - and that became his name.

• Like 9
2 hours ago, Mz Terry said:

20191110-094101-resized-3.jpg

Beautiful and sunny in the park this morning.:)

Gorgeous photo!  

The leaves behaved differently around here this year as well.  They were very late to begin changing color.  Usually in late August the color starts developing.  It was almost a month late this year, and the colors never really intensified.  We've had a cold, dry Autumn so far.  Some of those extreme cold snaps just froze the leaves on the trees and they have hung on to the branches, refusing to drop.  The leaves mostly turned brown or just dried up whilst still clinging to the branches.  I understand that temperatures and precipitation above normal create the most colorful Autumn seasons. 

We have had spectacular weather since the first of November.  The snow melted, the water buckets thawed out, and I have been able to gather the leaves on my lawn and cover the garlic bed with them, and cut some firewood.   This is the closing weekend at my mountain home so tomorrow I will drain the toilet, thaw the freezer, gather the remaining food,  turn off the electricity, and lock up the outbuildings.  A friend will be coming to visit this evening and spend the night, I'm looking forward to that.

Glad to hear of your new roommate, @ms. mortricia I hope the kitty adjusts to her new surroundings.  That is very kind of you to help out your friend and her cat.

• Like 9