anyone past 50 on here?

Thanks for the pointers, @SkyenAutowegCaptain and @Nick2! I found some tips by googling. It wasn't a battery issue. Turns out the filter was all clogged up. This filter is a big sheet of filter material held in place by a heavy-duty metal wire framework. I was able to get it cleaned up pretty well. That was a rather dirty job. :P  Of course, eventually I may have to replace it, but it doesn't look like the standard filters I usually see. Could be an old furnace. After I got the cleaned filter back in though, the furnace still wasn't working. Found out (through googling again) that I had to relight the pilot light. That was trickier as the pilot light is kind of hidden deep inside, with not much room to access it. I ended up lighting the end of a long wood dowel so I could reach in deep enough to light the pilot light. Anyway it is working now and the house is warmed back up. :) 

3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

Hope you're nice and warm now @daveb.

Thanks! :) 

3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I know some folk here live in Portland, Oregon. I've just been watching the latest upload by Steps of Two Foreigners and they live in Portland. This episode they just stayed in town and it looks lovely: colourful leaves, colourful buses, lovely cafes and streets... really pretty.

I live in Portland (well, suburb/town next to Portland). I'll have to look for that. Is it a youtube thing? It is nice here. :D 

• Like 8

That sounds like quite a project!

I keep my heat at 60F overnight/when out and 64F when home days/evenings so I wouldn’t have noticed... but I have pets and an old house so I change my filter every 30 days.  I wonder if yours is a “permanent” one?

• Like 6
3 hours ago, daveb said:

Thanks for the pointers, @SkyenAutowegCaptain and @Nick2! I found some tips by googling. It wasn't a battery issue. Turns out the filter was all clogged up. This filter is a big sheet of filter material held in place by a heavy-duty metal wire framework. I was able to get it cleaned up pretty well. That was a rather dirty job. :P  Of course, eventually I may have to replace it, but it doesn't look like the standard filters I usually see. Could be an old furnace. After I got the cleaned filter back in though, the furnace still wasn't working. Found out (through googling again) that I had to relight the pilot light. That was trickier as the pilot light is kind of hidden deep inside, with not much room to access it. I ended up lighting the end of a long wood dowel so I could reach in deep enough to light the pilot light. Anyway it is working now and the house is warmed back up. :) 

Sounds like my furnace.  It is called a "hammock" filter.  I purchase it by the roll and then just cut it to fit in the hammock frame and I change it about twice per year.  In fact, I think I will go do that right now - thanks for the reminder!

Wow, you guys are cold blooded - I keep my home about 72 F during the waking hours and 60 F overnight.

• Like 6

I have been busy lately!  But fun busy.  Some highlights: Friday night I played poker with my daughter and her friends until after midnight; got home at 1 am and stayed up til 3 am watching a movie (bad idea).  Five hours later I was up to go to my friends' daughter's soccer game, then went with the family to an arcade.  (Their choice, not mine.  Weird indoor environment (Las Vegas-y), but it was fun to watch the girls' excitement.)  It was the first time I had ever played air hockey or ski ball.  Playing air hockey with the 8-yr-old, I had to throw the game in her favor--but just barely.  I think by the time she's 10 we'll be a perfect match.

Sunday I went with the same crew to a Fall Harvest Festival, on a farm an hour south of us.  They had lots of rides for the kids, and an abundance of yummy foodstuffs for sale, from the farm's bounty--jams and honey; pumpkins, gourds, squash; apple cider (both fresh and fermented); peach, apple, pumpkin, and marionberry pie--to name a few.  I bought a whole berry pie to bring home, and it was dee-licious.  It's a long drive, but I'm contemplating going back this weekend to get another.

And I've had great subbing jobs the past two weeks, for teachers and classrooms that I know well.  I get to do a lot of the lesson planning, which is more work but less stress--and much more rewarding.  It's better to walk in knowing the plans instead of trying to follow someone else's, and lesson planning is a great outlet for my creativity (as is teaching in general).  I'll have the same kids tomorrow and Friday that I had today, and I'm really looking forward to it.  I love my job!

• Like 8

Ugh!  @Muledeer I would die!  I keep the place at 75F in the summer (old house - costs way too much to go colder) and even acclimated to warm temperatures I’m pretty miserable.

Now that it’s cooling down and I’m reacclimating 72F feels so hot.  I walked up to a nearby (to work) park and back at lunch today with just a lightweight cotton sweater and no coat... it was 56F and blustery, mix of clouds and sun.  Once I got going I had to roll up my sleeves.  Warm!!

• Like 6

I am always cold, it seems, but I keep the house thermostat T 60 overnight and about 64 during the day when I am home, and I am fairly comfortable. I think I want to expect to be hot in the summer (so despise air conditioning);and cold in the winter (so turn the heat down and add sweaters and blankets). 

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, ms. mortricia said:

It was the first time I had ever played air hockey

We played in middle school all. the. time.  Except we were broke so unless someone left time on the table it was more like airless hockey.  XD

• Like 4
1 minute ago, Mocha Jo said:

I think I want to expect to be hot in the summer (so despise air conditioning);and cold in the winter (so turn the heat down and add sweaters and blankets). 

*nods*, although I don’t despise reasonable air conditioning on very hot days.

• Like 4
On 10/16/2019 at 5:31 PM, Mocha Jo said:

I am looking forward to all the shopping and fleece and fair food!

Were you the one who likes cotton candy?  I think someone on this thread does.

On 10/16/2019 at 5:31 PM, Mocha Jo said:

Our team of 20 people spun 99,460 yards! Next time we are going to push for 100k!

Just...Wow!!!

23 hours ago, Mocha Jo said:

The  fiber festival was so much fun.

I know I've mentioned this before, but your excitement for all things fiber and spinning just reminds me so much of my Utah daughter.  Spinsters are a special group.

• Like 6
38 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Wow, you guys are cold blooded

Isn't it that they're warm-blooded?  Or am I the one who has it backwards?

• Like 4
20 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

so unless someone left time on the table it was more like airless hockey.  XD

😂

(Triple posting!  I'm glad they let us get away with it here.)

• Like 4
2 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Sounds like my furnace.  It is called a "hammock" filter.  I purchase it by the roll and then just cut it to fit in the hammock frame and I change it about twice per year.  In fact, I think I will go do that right now - thanks for the reminder!

Ah, yes, that's it! Thanks! Now I know what to look for when I need to replace the filter stuff. :) 

1 hour ago, ms. mortricia said:

Sunday I went with the same crew to a Fall Harvest Festival, on a farm an hour south of us.  They had lots of rides for the kids, and an abundance of yummy foodstuffs from the farm's bounty--jams and honey; pumpkins, gourds, squash; apple cider (both fresh and fermented); peach, apple, pumpkin, and marionberry pie--to name a few.  I bought a whole berry pie to bring home, and it was dee-licious.  It's a long drive, but I'm contemplating going back this weekend to get another.

That sounds like tempting goodies. :) 

1 hour ago, ryn2 said:

We played in middle school all. the. time.  Except we were broke so unless someone left time on the table it was more like airless hockey.  XD

:lol: 

I used to go to my local arcade when I was in my teens/20s and would take my youngest brother. Air hockey was fun. :) 

I'm a big fan of AC in hot weather, but I try to keep it set warmer than I would prefer at the upper end of comfort for me, to conserve energy and save money. If money and energy were no object I'd probably keep the AC at 72F. As it is I set it to 78F in the Summer. Me and hot weather do not mix well. I work up a sweat walking or being similarly active in weather in the 40s (fahrenheit). :P I was very thankful for our milder Summer this year. And having the basement to retreat to when it did get hot out.

• Like 4

I leave the heating at 18°c, chiefly for the benefit of those who have thick fur coats and go "meow" :P, otherwise it would be a couple of degrees less. 

These heating systems with filters, are they warm air ones, rather than radiators? 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

These heating systems with filters, are they warm air ones, rather than radiators? 

I'm not sure what that means. My system is forced air, I believe. The heater and AC use the same ductwork, with vents in the floors, no radiators. The heat runs on natural gas.

• Like 4
On 10/24/2019 at 7:40 AM, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

I leave the heating at 18°c, chiefly for the benefit of those who have thick fur coats and go "meow" :P, otherwise it would be a couple of degrees less. 

It's still October. I've hardly had the heating on post Summer yet. Just an hour here and there. I never have it on overnight, but when it gets cold (say less than 10C indoors), I'll set the timer to fire the heating on about an hour before I plan to get up. And probably up to about 18C. 

• Like 5
3 hours ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

Yes, and what @daveb said - in the US we call them “forced air” systems and they have a filter on the intake (cold air return) side of the system to prevent dust/dirt/pet hair/etc. from gunking up the blower fan.

I’ve never seen a hammock filter so now I’m curious what it looks like in situ.  Google just showed me rolls of filter material and one non-installed frame.  :)

• Like 4
3 hours ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

chiefly for the benefit of those who have thick fur coats and go "meow"

I figure because thick fur coats they can make do.  XD

• Like 5
3 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

They want to try and turn the thermostat up :P

• Like 4
46 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

It's still October. I've hardly had the heating on post Summer yet. Just and hour here and there. I never have it on overnight, but when it gets cold (say less than 10C indoors), I'll set the timer to fire the heating on about an hour before I plan to get up. And probably up to about 18C. 

It’s getting down to 2-3 C overnight (outside) already here. As winter moves in and it’s not even getting up to there during the day, it’s too cold overnight to turn the system completely off without risking pipe issues in the exterior walls.

• Like 4
Just now, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

They want to try and turn the thermostat up :P

They sure do.  They stand by the registers and complain.  However, they are insufficiently tall...

• Like 7

I like to be warm in the day but cool at night so daytime , thermostat set to 21/22 but all heating off at night. This house is the first I've ever had with radiators. 

@daveb Steps of Two Foreigners is a YouTube channel, yes, but maybe I should have added a  trigger warning: a lot of gay PDA ( as in public displays of affection) They go to some very pretty places, and I love seeing places. I thought Portland looked a really good town. The Portland video is the most recent one.( It's not a problem for me to see gay PDA. It's the het stuff I can't stand!)

• Like 5
6 hours ago, daveb said:

My system is forced air, I believe. The heater and AC use the same ductwork, with vents in the floors, no radiators. The heat runs on natural gas.

Real estate listings used to abbreviate forced air gas heating as FAG but that became politically incorrect several years ago.🙂 

• Like 4
57 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

They just used FA here

That sounds even worse :P:P

• Like 2
4 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Cats and dogs natural body temperature is a bit higher than humans, by just a 2-3 degrees Fahrenheit. Not sure if that makes a difference either way (do they get cold easier or do they stay warmer easier, or neither?). Cats for sure like warm spots when the ambient temperature is cool. :) 

2 hours ago, Tunhope said:

( It's not a problem for me to see gay PDA. It's the het stuff I can't stand!)

I'm not a fan of either. :lol: 

• Like 5
21 minutes ago, daveb said:

Cats and dogs natural body temperature is a bit higher than humans, by just a 2-3 degrees Fahrenheit. Not sure if that makes a difference either way (do they get cold easier or do they stay warmer easier, or neither?). Cats for sure like warm spots when the ambient temperature is cool. :) 

Yep, for cats it’s quite a bit higher  (102.something F) and it means they get cold at warmer temperatures than people do.  Hairless and near-hairless breeds (sphinx, rex) need a warm house and a little sweater to avoid hypothermia but cats with a “normal” coat acclimate.  If  I have one that’s elderly or ill I am more careful about the temperature, but I do also make sure everyone has fleecy places to nest and conserve body heat.

• Like 5
40 minutes ago, SkyenAutowegCaptain said:

That sounds even worse :P:P

“F*g” isn’t a cigarette in the US...

FA and “fa” don’t have any derogatory (or common dirty) meaning here that I know of.  I assume one of them does in the UK?

• Like 2
14 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

for cats it’s quite a bit higher  (102.something F)

same for dogs apparently

(well, according to the internet both can be anywhere from 99 to 102 F for their normal body temp) :) 

• Like 4