anyone past 50 on here?

4 hours ago, Astraios said:

Hi Everyone, I'm a newbie. I'm 53. 

3 hours ago, Astraios said:

Thanks daveb. Glad I found this thread, I was starting to feel like Methuselah's big brother!

Welcome to AVEN! :) :cake: 

I was 44 when I found out about asexuality.

• Like 5
3 hours ago, Astraios said:

Thanks daveb. Glad I found this thread, I was starting to feel like Methuselah's big brother!

Well, I'm a decade older than you. You're a youngster to me. :lol: 

1 hour ago, ms. mortricia said:

Did you have to cancel lodgings?

Yeah, but they were really good about it and didn't charge me any cancellation fees even though their policy said they could.

1 hour ago, ms. mortricia said:

We didn't get much rain in my area of Portland today.

Funny. It was pouring down pretty good here all morning and into noon. Got quieter in the afternoon. But the rains are supposed to keep coming through Tuesday or Wednesday.

16 minutes ago, Mocha Jo said:

I am looking forward to all the shopping and fleece and fair food! One more day of work to get through.

Cool. Have fun and good luck! 

• Like 8

Don't feel bad about the rain Dave. The first Nor' easter is supposed to pass thru tonight and tomorrow. Portsmouth NH is forecast to get 2" of rain.

Leaving for home on Friday.

• Like 6
9 minutes ago, will123 said:

Don't feel bad about the rain Dave.

I don't. I actually like rain. This current batch just convinced me to change plans. I'm happy either way. If the weather had been nicer I would have been happy to make the drive. Since it is so rainy I'm happy to stay in. :) 

• Like 6

Tomorrow we're having a double whammy at school--an earthquake drill at 10:17, followed a few minutes later by a fire drill.  So first we drop, cover, and hold on, then we evacuate the building.  The principal just sent an email saying, "Rain or shine."

We're not really supposed to warn kids about a drill that's coming, but mine are just going to happen to have their coats on...

• Like 10

Found out at work today that they are changing our vacation/sick time options to FTO, Flexible Time Off, in fiscal year 2020 for exempt employees (me).   That means that I can take as much vacation and sick time as I need as long as it is OK with my manager.   There is no upper limit on either.   Cool.  I'm looking forward to this.  My boss is a pretty reasonable woman and I think will let me take the vacations I want. :D

• Like 10

Overall employees with FTO take less time off than those with more traditional arrangements (which is why places switch; it’s one of those things that sound like wins for the staff but are actually wins for the employer).  Be the exception to the rule!

• Like 5

Autumn is coming. :)  Took this on a sunny walk with Little Dog this morning.  The trees are just starting to turn.  I quite like the effect made by the sunshine through the trees.

20191017-100316-resized.jpg

• Like 12

@Mz Tricky, you got lucky there. We didn't see any sun until after lunch. The amount of rain we've had these last three weeks I'm surprised there hasn't been any serious flooding hereabouts 

• Like 7
3 hours ago, ryn2 said:

Overall employees with FTO take less time off than those with more traditional arrangements (which is why places switch; it’s one of those things that sound like wins for the staff but are actually wins for the employer).  Be the exception to the rule!

I will be an exception for sure!

• Like 7
6 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Happy First day of ACE Awareness Week!!  Oct 20-26, 2019.

Dang this 50+ brain of mine.  Why did I think it was Oct 20th today? 

• Like 9
2 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Dang this 50+ brain of mine.  Why did I think it was Oct 20th today? 

I wondered about that. 

Already getting into flexible time? :lol: 

• Like 8

True to the spirit of emergency drills I did not tell the kids that two drills were imminent, but I did have them suit up in jackets ahead of time.  It was close enough to recess that they weren't too suspicious, and we (mostly) stayed warm and dry during the evacuation (there's always the child or two who has no jacket).  It was really coming down out there.

• Like 8

That thunderstorm was a nice wake up this morning, and there's more thunderheads forming. A fun afternoon coming. 

• Like 7

I've always been terrible at waking up in the morning. I remember my poor mother yelling at me as a schoolboy to 'get out of bed'. And over the last week or so events have conspired that I've had to set an alarm for 9 days running. Until last night/this morning. It didn't totally surprise me that the clock said 1042 when I woke today. Bliss!

• Like 10

In my whole life, I have never slept until 10.42!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, Tunhope said:

In my whole life, I have never slept until 10.42!

@Tunhope, Wow.   What is the latest you have slept in?    In my teens and twenties, I slept in past noon quite a few times.  It has been a while since I slept in past 10 a.m.   I think the last time might have been recovering from jet lag.

Cathy

• Like 6

I have slept plenty of odd hours, having worked evening shift, graveyard shift, early morning shift and more standard day shifts. I have also worked and/or been up round the clock more than once and then slept as long as I could. Probably slept in pretty late in the day when I have been sick, too. But mostly I'm up by around 7 AM, if not earlier.

• Like 5

I have slept that late if sick, jetlagged, or up all night, but assuming I go to bed at something approaching (my) normal time I rarely sleep anywhere near that late.

Of course some of that is because TMI my old people bladder only goes a couple of hours at a stretch without waking me up... if I woke up after 8:00 I wouldn’t let myself go back to sleep because I have stuff to do.

• Like 5

I have kept such odd hours the past year and a half since moving to this apartment on my own.  If I'm not working the next day, I often stay up until 2 or 3 am, then sleep way late.  It's not uninterrupted sleep, cuz I have a tiny bladder like @ryn2, but it is still a lot of sleep.  I feel like I'm making up for decades and decades of not enough sleep!

• Like 7

I certainly haven't slept that late unless either sick or having worked a night shift 

• Like 5

I get a stinking headache if I sleep in too long.  However, Little Dog sees to it that I get up reasonably early. :)

• Like 8

Did a Cannonball Run from Maine to home yesterday. One day instead of the normal two. 598 miles in 13 hours via the south shore below Montreal.

• Like 6

The weather keeps teasing me. Yesterday was supposed to rain about an inch and I thought it was going to be raining most of the day, so I stayed in, but then we did have sun at times. This morning the sun keeps peeking out and I start thinking maybe I could go out for a walk without getting rained on, but then it rains a little. I guess I will just stay in and enjoy the rain, while being nice and cozy. :) 

Happy birthday to our newly minted 50-something (but still not quite past 50 yet)! ;) ( @faraday☘ )

More vegan :cake: !

(saw this, the cake on the cover even has some ace colors)

91XZ6aT-E3L.jpg

• Like 7