anyone past 50 on here?

@cdrdash, wishing your mum a swift recovery, and fair winds for your hike 

• Like 5

adding my good wishes @cdrdash and also hoping that all those colds and sore throats people have mentioned aren't causing trouble. 

• Like 6

Well.  The hike was nice and I got to talk to David about Mom.   Now I am home and got the news that Mom is OK.  My sister said ....

I just got a phone call from Mother.  They checked her out in the emergency room and found nothing wrong.  She told me about her morning and what made her decide to go.  She described telling Gary about the symptoms, and she said that she just felt crazy, not in her right mind.  After the fact she referred to it as an anxiety attack.  She is going to talk with McKenzie on Monday about an anti-anxiety medication as well as a switch in her seizure medication from Dilantin to Kepro.  She sounded like herself and even had a sense of humor saying, "Oh well, I am not dead yet."  I told her about Cathy being the contact person while we are away and she was pleased.  We survived another roller coaster ride....

I like to think all those positive vibes you all sent helped.  I hope that the doctors can work out  her medications so she doesn't have more of these episodes.  Phew.  The worry is lifting now.

Link to pictures from the hike.  Perfect weather for the hike and lots of nice views from the ridge and of bright red poison oak!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vXNYYNDLHrNktVTW8

• Like 12

Oh, good, that’s reassuring news!  Smart of her to get checked out; as you said, hopefully they can tweak her medication so she still gets the benefits without unpleasant side effects.

Hope you can have a nicer evening, @cdrdash, now that you know.

• Like 6

Great news, @cdrdash; you must be so relieved.

I'm at a wedding. It's interesting to compare today's wedding with last Saturday's wedding; they could not be more different.  This one was a traditional church wedding in a Catholic church with vaulted ceilings.  Now we've moved to a different venue for happy hour, dinner and dancing.  I hope to love the dancing part.  I can usually dance in every situation, but occasionally I just can't "feel it."

• Like 11
Autumn Sunrise

Hi Cathy, I'm sorry to hear you had that worry about your mother, but happy to know that she's OK now. It was good that you were able to go hiking while you were waiting for news . . . great pictures, as usual :D

• Like 7

I got hot and sweaty while dancing!  That means it was a great success.  There were lots of kids to dance with, and some of the reeeally little ones could sure bust some moves.  There was a 3-year-old that amazed me.

• Like 8

I've been petsitting my neighbor's parrot today in my spare time.  My neighbor is out of town for a week and has someone staying at her place, but that person needed to be gone from 10 this morning until sometime tomorrow morning.  Apparently parrots need LOTS of socializing (I had no idea!), because my neighbor doesn't like Beanie to be alone for much more than an hour at a time.  Someone else watched her for three of the hours that I was at the wedding, but I think she had several hours alone on either side of that person's shift.  The first thing she did when she saw me tonight was fly over and nip me; I assume she was letting me know she did not approve of the schedule.  Otherwise she has been quite charming and adorable--mostly spends every minute grooming herself on my shoulder.  Which is where she has been for the past half hour that I've been on the computer; the little whirring sounds she makes right next to my ear are simply divine.

UPDATE: And now she's been on the top of my head for another 40 minutes.

• Like 12

@ms. mortricia  That is reminding me of the Frasier episode.  All was well until people started ringing the doorbell ...

bird2.jpg

Hope nothing like that happened while pet sitting Beanie.

I had the bird club Quiz Night last night, where I work with a colleague to shop for and then prepare nearly 100 ploughman suppers.  All fun, and the quiz is light hearted and entertaining.  There was a great Morcambe and Wise clip at the end, where they prepare a breakfast.  Our efforts with catering were less amusing.

• Like 8
7 hours ago, ms. mortricia said:

I've been petsitting my neighbor's parrot today in my spare time.  My neighbor is out of town for a week and has someone staying at her place, but that person needed to be gone from 10 this morning until sometime tomorrow morning.  Apparently parrots need LOTS of socializing (I had no idea!), because my neighbor doesn't like Beanie to be alone for much more than an hour at a time.  Someone else watched her for three of the hours that I was at the wedding, but I think she had several hours alone on either side of that person's shift.  The first thing she did when she saw me tonight was fly over and nip me; I assume she was letting me know she did not approve of the schedule.  Otherwise she has been quite charming and adorable--mostly spends every minute grooming herself on my shoulder.  Which is where she has been for the past half hour that I've been on the computer; the little whirring sounds she makes right next to my ear are simply divine.

UPDATE: And now she's been on the top of my head for another 40 minutes.

Well, the bird is definitely not asexual.

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Nick2 said:

Well, the bird is definitely not asexual.

Not if he's using his pecker :P:P

• Like 4

Ack.  More roller coaster rides with Mom.  She wanted to go to the emergency room again on Sunday but the retirement home staff talked her out of it.  Thankfully today she visited her doctor and he has changed the her seizure medicine and given her anxiety medication and she feels good about the changes.  The seizure symptoms paired with the anxiety attacks had her genuinely believing she needed to go to the emergency room.  I hope the new medications will make her able to better judge when it is an emergency.   My stress levels have been going a little crazy with all this.  Geez.  I hope she will be stable for a bit now!

• Like 10

That has to be really frustrating for both of you!  I hope the adjusted meds help and she can relax for a few days...

• Like 6
Autumn Sunrise

I guess, not easy for your mom, and certainly not easy for you! I hope things settle down soon, Cathy . . . *hugs*

• Like 6

@cdrdash I'm so sorry about your mom.  I hope things get worked out, and her anxiety alleviates!  It must be scary for her though.  She is so lucky to have a great family and those that care about her. 

• Like 5
On 10/13/2019 at 1:26 AM, Mz Tricky said:

There was a great Morcambe and Wise clip at the end, where they prepare a breakfast.  Our efforts with catering were less amusing.

Sooo great!  I hadn't heard of them; have watched it twice now!  I'd like to perfect a dance routine like that...

On 10/13/2019 at 1:26 AM, Mz Tricky said:

That is reminding me of the Frasier episode.  All was well until people started ringing the doorbell ...

I hadn't seen Frazier either.  It took a bit of research to find the season and episode with the cockatoo, but I succeeded.  Not my cup of tea overall, but some parts were really funny.

• Like 7

Just had a moderate earthquake in the San Francisco Bay Area.  The epicenter was near Walnut Creek in the east bay.  It is rated 4.5 on the Richter scale.  I was snoozing on the couch and it woke me up but nothing fell over and I'm fine.   The big question now is will I be able to relax and get back to sleep!  

• Like 7
11 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Ack.  More roller coaster rides with Mom.  She wanted to go to the emergency room again on Sunday but the retirement home staff talked her out of it.  Thankfully today she visited her doctor and he has changed the her seizure medicine and given her anxiety medication and she feels good about the changes.  The seizure symptoms paired with the anxiety attacks had her genuinely believing she needed to go to the emergency room.  I hope the new medications will make her able to better judge when it is an emergency.   My stress levels have been going a little crazy with all this.  Geez.  I hope she will be stable for a bit now!

Here's to hoping that things get settled down.

• Like 6

My birthday today and I turn 58.

Yesterday I heard on Sirius XM (The Dave Nemo Show) about a female trans truck driver. The CEO of Women in Trucking accompanied her. 

The LGBTQ community was discussed. I've been in touch with Ellen Voie (the CEO) and will bring up asexuality and AVEN with her.

• Like 7
4 minutes ago, will123 said:

Happy birthday!  I still have almost a couple months of 57 left.

• Like 6
5 minutes ago, will123 said:

Happy Birthday!   I was born in 1961 too!

• Like 7

OMG this year I actually, really forgot how old I was rather than forgetting that I’m just “almost” and not quite there yet.  I have a couple of months of *56* left.

*sigh*

• Like 5

Happy 58th @will123!   You've got two years on me.

I just heard about that earthquake on the news @cdrdash  A 4.5 is nothing to sneeze at, but I guess your infrastructure is built for "small" earthquakes like that.  Best wishes to your mother.  It brings back memories of frequent ER visits and anxiety attacks in my mothers later years.  I know how stressful that can be. 

• Like 9
7 hours ago, cdrdash said:

Just had a moderate earthquake in the San Francisco Bay Area.  The epicenter was near Walnut Creek in the east bay.  It is rated 4.5 on the Richter scale.  I was snoozing on the couch and it woke me up but nothing fell over and I'm fine.   The big question now is will I be able to relax and get back to sleep!  

Slept fine last night ☺️

• Like 9