anyone past 50 on here?

11 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

Well I am at the walk in clinic and will be seen at 5:30 pm.  Decided that I would be more relaxed getting an opinion than worrying about it.

Hope you’re right and everything is minor!

• Like 5

@cdrdash , I hope you find reassurance and relief at the clinic. It does seem wise to get an injury checked out when you’re not sure of its nature and consequences. Those walk-in clinics that have multiplied in recent years (in the US, at least) do make it convenient to get after-hours answers on medical incidents that don’t quite rise to the level of emergencies. (I went to such a clinic one weekend after hitting/gashing my head and worrying for hours whether I might have suffered internal bleeding; fortunately I hadn’t). 

• Like 8

The diagnosis is in.  I have either a rib contusion or a rib fracture on my left side.  To determine which would require an x-ray but the treatment is exactly the same for either one.  Ice it.  Take Ibuprofen for pain. Don't do activities that make it hurt.  And it will heal itself in about 4 weeks.   I was given the OK to do easy hikes if I didn't feel like it would affect the rib area.  So pretty good news and now I feel like I can relax and just deal with the minor pain.   I'll get out my ice pack and take the Ibuprofen or as my friend likes to call it "Vitamin I".

Cathy

• Like 13
1 hour ago, Midland Tyke said:

Happy memories!

That sounds amazing! I am so envious that the UK has lots of places where you could go for long hikes or rambles from one town to another through gorgeous countryside, stop at pubs for meals, etc. (but I'm probably romanticizing it a bit, eh?) :) 

14 minutes ago, cdrdash said:

The diagnosis is in.

Too bad about the fall and the injury, but at least now you have answers and a course of action to recovery.

The house painters came back in the afternoon. Had to have a couple of windows and the front door open for quite a while so the paint on them could dry without them drying shut. Almost all of the trim is done and the front door is painted, too. They are coming back tomorrow to finish up the last bits, including one section of trim at the peak in the back which was too high for them to reach safely from any ladders they had. So it will hopefully be all done tomorrow and I can relax for a bit. It does look good. Nice to have a freshly painted house. :) 

• Like 12
8 hours ago, cdrdash said:

I walked to work today and I tripped and fell on the way to work.   I have no idea what I tripped on.  I might have just set my foot on the ground funny and lost my balance.  Not really sure but "wham" I hit the sidewalk concrete with my left side.  Happily, my legs are fine, my head is fine, and my arms are OK.  But my left side got the brunt of it right near my left breast.  Ouch!  I think it is just badly bruised.  I was able to get up fairly quickly and continued walking to work.   I will carry on and see if it gets better and if it doesn't, go to the health clinic and have it looked at.   I have been able to work fine but I do believe the accident has sucked up my energy both mental and physical!  The mental because of worry about what I might have done to my body and the physical just because it feels like my body is rushing to start healing whatever I broke!   I'm just feeling pretty "beat" right now :rolleyes:.

Any how ... in this case ... advice would be welcome in terms of when you would seek a health professionals opinion on something like this.  I'm torn about it at the moment and would appreciate other view points.   

Cathy

Hope you have a speedy recovery.

I went for a 'header' back around Easter. Tripped over a gate support block on our bridge. Two fingers on my left hand are still a bit tender. Landed on my left shoulder and scraped my right knee.

• Like 6
9 hours ago, daveb said:

That sounds amazing! I am so envious that the UK has lots of places where you could go for long hikes or rambles from one town to another through gorgeous countryside, stop at pubs for meals, etc. (but I'm probably romanticizing it a bit, eh?) :) 

Not romanticizing it at all!

In many areas that's exactly what you can do. We are a small island, with an agricultural past, and (mostly) have no real mountains (certainly in England). We've also got a lot of people, so communities grew up around farming activities and the nature of the land (lots of smallish peaks interspersed with rivers) meant that there were natural places for small-ish communities. Larger market towns grew up but they too would be 'local' (certainly in the US experience). It's an idyllic place to do stage walks. My little town sits at one end of a 40 mile route. And there are lots of little communities between here and the far end (another town of similar size to mine). So you could walk the whole thing over 3 or 4 days, and find accommodation at suitable places for that.

• Like 9

@cdrdash, hope you recover soon :cake:

@daveb, that's good that they'll be finished, the joys of UPVC, I have one door which needs painting occasionally, that's it

• Like 5
Autumn Sunrise

@cdrdash I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but glad to know that the damage isn't too serious! At least, I hope you can take things a bit easy for a few days - it must havr been a bit of a shock for your body:( Take care! 

• Like 7
4 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Not romanticizing it at all!

In many areas that's exactly what you can do. We are a small island, with an agricultural past, and (mostly) have no real mountains (certainly in England). We've also got a lot of people, so communities grew up around farming activities and the nature of the land (lots of smallish peaks interspersed with rivers) meant that there were natural places for small-ish communities. Larger market towns grew up but they too would be 'local' (certainly in the US experience). It's an idyllic place to do stage walks. My little town sits at one end of a 40 mile route. And there are lots of little communities between here and the far end (another town of similar size to mine). So you could walk the whole thing over 3 or 4 days, and find accommodation at suitable places for that.

Cool :D 

(now I'm even more envious :lol: )

• Like 8
AllThisTime
On 6/16/2019 at 1:22 PM, Semisweet said:

On a more optimistic note, we had some exchanges here a few weeks back about how reports of the death of physical books were premature. I found support for that this past week, when I spent a day on jury duty. While sitting around waiting for several hours alongside dozens of other prospective jurors, I noticed that quite a few people, many much younger than me, were reading actual books. So there’s hope yet! :)

Well, that is cheering, @Semisweet (not the jury duty part).  There is something about allowing a book to open naturally to the spot where you left off, that is so comforting to me.  I've always had purses that needed to be large enough to accommodate a book: my boys played sports when they were younger and I never knew when I'd be sitting somewhere, waiting, and reading.  Perfect!

This leads me to share that I'm going for a follow up appointment with my optometrist this afternoon. I am hoping he will be able to give me a more complete explanation about what is happening to my eyes. As a person who used to have a pile of books sitting by the bedside (in case I ran out) it is disconcerting to have my eyesight change so much that I am now reading almost everything online only. This is because the text can be enlarged, which helps.  The ophthalmologist has booked me in for cataract surgery; a year from now. But he was useless in explaining what may be happening and how to deal with it.  Luckily, I've known my optometrist for years and I trust that he will help me make sense of this.

Getting older sucks sometimes!   

note: I'm skimming the contents of this thread daily but even reading these posts is challenging sometimes.  But I'm here!  ;)

• Like 11
3 minutes ago, AllThisTime said:

I trust that he will help me make sense of this.

Good luck!

• Like 5

Cataracts (along with making your natural lenses “cloudy,” also) worsen near vision by “stiffening” or “hardening” the affected lense(s).  To adjust to focusing on very near items (like the pages of a book), the muscles in your eyes must reshape your lenses... and as the lenses become increasingly inflexible that process is less and less effective.  This is why people have to hold things farther and farther away as they age, until they reach the point where everything is “too blurry” in close and “too small” at arm’s length.

Most intraocular lenses used in cataract surgery do not mimic this function; they just address the cloudiness issue.  Patients typically must (still) wear “readers” for near-focus work post-surgery.

Hope that helps!

• Like 8

Here is a light show I created that will be enjoyed each evening all summer long!

Spoiler

20190616-212316.jpg

and a floating, under-the-table-fountain:

Spoiler

20190616-212248.jpg

• Like 14

Looks quite magical, @Muledeer.  The little statue I had sitting on the edge of my container pond was knocked off, by a cat or fox I expect, and smashed.  

• Like 8

A man saved my life yesterday. His name is Dan. If Dan--the driver of the 18-wheeler--had had a split-second slower reaction time, he'd have had to smash right into me after I made a spectacularly stupid move on a podunk highway out in the middle of nowhere. As it was, he had to hit his brakes, burn rubber, and go off the side of the road to avoid obliterating me.

I asked his name, told him he had saved my life, and made sure he checked his rig all over for any damage. He was a sweetheart and said we'd gotten lucky; said we must have been living right. He missed me by mere inches at most--maybe just the whisper of an inch.

• Like 14

Yikes, @pickles mcgee! I'm glad you are okay. Sounds like Dan and his rig were okay, too. And good driving on his part.

• Like 11

@pickles mcgee, so glad that you’re here to tell the tale, and that there was a positive angle to such an unnerving experience.

@Gentle Giant, I’m sorry to hear that your hours have been cut.

• Like 10

@pickles mcgee how scary!!  I’m

glad you, Dan, and everyone/thing in the vicinity came out unscathed!

That sucks, @Gentle Giant!  In a way I hate to say “I hope business picks up,” because high census means lots of unwell older people, but for your sake I hope it does.

• Like 10
BobRossRules

@cdrdash I'm glad you had it checked out.  Given my profession, I always error on side of just making sure.  Here's to a quick recovery!  Perhaps now I can keep up with you!:lol:

@pickles mcgee Bless you and that wonderful Dan!  Life is full of hidden blessings.  You'll live another day and join me for a hot spring adventure!

• Like 11

Try this again, AVEN must have been hungry and ate the text of my last attempt 

@pickles mcgee, glad a collision was avoided.

@Gentle Giant, boo - that sucks

There was a massive lightning storm passed just south of us last night, so losts of flashes, but no rumbles. Susie and Sheeba weren't too impressed and decided sharing the sofa with me was the best option 

• Like 10

The storm didn't reach me here in Medway @Skycaptain but there are some rumblings as I type.

@pickles mcgee very nasty indeed. Well done Dan.

• Like 7
AllThisTime
On 6/18/2019 at 12:27 PM, ryn2 said:

Cataracts (along with making your natural lenses “cloudy,” also) worsen near vision by “stiffening” or “hardening” the affected lense(s).  To adjust to focusing on very near items (like the pages of a book), the muscles in your eyes must reshape your lenses... and as the lenses become increasingly inflexible that process is less and less effective.  This is why people have to hold things farther and farther away as they age, until they reach the point where everything is “too blurry” in close and “too small” at arm’s length.

Most intraocular lenses used in cataract surgery do not mimic this function; they just address the cloudiness issue.  Patients typically must (still) wear “readers” for near-focus work post-surgery.

Hope that helps!

Thanks so much @ryn2 for the explanation. It does make more sense now. This surgery is now so common, it doesn't seem to be a big deal. My optometrist isn't convinced that this surgery will address the other issues I've had with my eyes recently, but he does see me heading that direction. It's a year from now.

@pickles mcgee that would have been so frightening; thank goodness for Dan!  

@cdrdash It is good you got confirmation on your injuries. For me, knowing what the problem is always helps me. 

Today I was supposed to take Chance to the vet.  He is 16 and got attacked by the stray hanging around. He was in the cat bed by my bed all day yesterday. Now he has disappeared.  Trying to find him and not too get too stressed. It is sad to see him fading and he did get roughed up so he should be checked ... where could he be?

• Like 12

Glad it was helpful and, yes, it’s super-routine surgery these days.

I hope Chance turns up and is feeling better.

• Like 6

On my recent visit to the eye doctor he told me practically everyone gets cataracts eventually, if they live long enough.

@AllThisTime, good luck with Chance!

• Like 5