anyone past 50 on here?

30 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I'm not sure we have a word for that over here.  Obviously, that is an essential practice for a retail business or anybody who collects cash.  If I go out issuing temporary food licenses, I will often times make (float ?) change from my own wallet until I have sufficient money for change from the license fees.  Can that word be used as a verb?  I'm going to start using it. 

We call it float here, too, in banking and retail.  The cashiers sometimes just call it drawer cash.  :)

• Like 4
Gentle Giant

We used to have a float position in housekeeping at the nursing home. There were 3 regular people doing the main areas (resident rooms) and the 4th person was the float who did the extra stuff (non resident room areas). Now it’s down to 2 people every day and 1 on my weekend alone because we no longer have a 4th person. It’s a struggle to get things done.

I love root beer floats!

• Like 8

Yeah, floats are fairly common - and very helpful - in healthcare.  We even have people float between facilities... it’s a good way to address census fluctuation without having to bring in temps and cut back on employees’ work hours.

Being short-staffed in that kind of work is really hard, @Gentle Giant...

• Like 6

Cash float is used in Canada.

• Like 6
BobRossRules

When I hear float, I think of a parade float:lol:

float700.jpg?quality=85&strip=all

My latest video form Yellowstone....

Spoiler

• Like 8
2 hours ago, faraday☘ said:

video form Yellowstone

Cool! :D 

Well, I guess I made my first step towards planting myself in my current house for a while. I bought a new tv today so I could have one set up downstairs for use in the Summer, since the downstairs stays cooler. And I'm starting to think more about things I could do with all of the extra room I have in this house, if I stay put, which is becoming more and more likely*. (and I "christened" the large room downstairs on my first day of really using the room - by spilling a glass of iced tea on the carpet) :P 

*in all honesty, I think I've pretty much made up my mind I will stay put. I'd have to see some really awesome houses in the real estate listings to convince me to move at this point.

• Like 9

@daveb  Good for you for deciding to enjoy the home you already own!  Fix it up how you like and move on with your life.😊

@faraday☘ that was the greatest video!  A bison traffic jam.....only in Yellowstone!

I had a great evening for wildlife viewing.  On my way to collect memory cards from my trail cameras, I saw a single mule deer working her way up the river, after crossing it.  Then, I saw a single moose grazing its way through the sagebrush on the other side of the river.  And while cooking my pork chop on the grill, a cow moose and her yearling calf passed by, harmlessly.  Elsa is so accustomed to the wildlife that she merely acknowledges their presence with an intense stare; with no barking or concern.  One time, my friend's puppy came into contact with a calf moose and they were sniffing each other's noses!   They didn't know they weren't supposed to co-exist in nature. 

Now I'll look at those trail cam memory cards, and if there are any notable photos I will post them over on the nature thread.

• Like 10
4 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

I had a great evening for wildlife viewing.  On my way to collect memory cards from my trail cameras, I saw a single mule deer working her way up the river, after crossing it.  Then, I saw a single moose grazing its way through the sagebrush on the other side of the river.  And while cooking my pork chop on the grill, a cow moose and her yearling calf passed by, harmlessly.  Elsa is so accustomed to the wildlife that she merely acknowledges their presence with an intense stare; with no barking or concern.  One time, my friend's puppy came into contact with a calf moose and they were sniffing each other's noses!   They didn't know they weren't supposed to co-exist in nature. 

Now I'll look at those trail cam memory cards, and if there are any notable photos I will post them over on the nature thread.

Sounds so beautiful. No wonder you like it there. :) 

5 minutes ago, Muledeer said:

Good for you for deciding to enjoy the home you already own!  Fix it up how you like and move on with your life.

Thanks! Looks like that's the direction I'm heading. Next step, taking the engineers' drawings and calculations to the city planning office to apply for a permit for the foundation repairs.

• Like 8
On 5/31/2019 at 1:56 PM, cdrdash said:

YAY!!  Thanks for telling me the news.  

I did the hike yesterday; it was amazing!!  It was thrilling to finally be on one of the trails impacted by the fire and have a look around.  The face of Multnomah Falls is still mostly green; that's the part that you can see from the road.  Once we got back further on the trail, most of the trees were burned, but lots of them have new growth at the top, meaning they aren't dead.  How do trees do it?  I would definitely be dead if a fire had burned my outsides to a crisp.  I also wonder about the trees that are nearer to the epicenter of the fire, 10 miles east of where I was yesterday--could they possibly have new growth too?

There was a proliferation of wildflowers on a big stretch of the trail; I have never seen so many on a single hike in my life.  The fire must have cleared out brush and other debris, and opened up the ground for ferns and flowers.  There were thousands of larkspur, plus columbine, wild iris, bleeding hearts, wild peas and roses, and many, many that I don't know the names of.  Most were at their peak, but will be fading soon. 🌸🌹🌼🥀🌻

• Like 11
4 hours ago, daveb said:

(and I "christened" the large room downstairs on my first day of really using the room - by spilling a glass of iced tea on the carpet)

That's as good as smudging!

1 hour ago, Muledeer said:

Elsa is so accustomed to the wildlife that she merely acknowledges their presence with an intense stare; with no barking or concern.

Elsa sounds divine. 🐕 :wub:

• Like 6
Skycaptain

@faraday☘, that's a bit different from getting caught behind a herd of cows being moved from field to dairy

@pickles mcgee, some trees have evolved to survive fire, same as for some species the heat of a fire activates seed germination. Being the first in to a fire ravaged area gives that species a head start 

@Muledeer, you're lucky that wildlife get that close, our feet are very skittish, and it's rare to get within 100m of them 

• Like 8
AllThisTime
On 6/3/2019 at 1:34 PM, Gentle Giant said:

What I bought were Wallace and Gromit - The Curse of the Were-Rabbit DVD (enjoyed it and will look for more Wallace and Gromit DVDs)

@Gentle Giant I love all the Aardman animation films, they are one of the few really 'lol' productions around, Maybe because they are wonky and silly and .. gentle in their humour.  You should look for "Creature Comforts" in your travels: I wanted to buy a copy at my reliable used DVD place and it was expensive because they said it was hard to come by. 

Here's a clip: 

• Like 8
Skycaptain

@pickles mcgee, that should have said "deer", this phone is derping 

• Like 6
Custard Cream
20 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@pickles mcgee, that should have said "deer", this phone is derping 

I prefered the idea of skittish feet.

• Like 6

I have just harvested a plethora of moose photos.  Gotta share this one with all of you:

Spoiler

05230179.jpg

• Like 9
9 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

That's as good as smudging!

I had to google that. No thanks. I really don't like the smell of burning things generally - especially not smelly stuff like incense and herbs. They often seem to trigger and/or exacerbate my migraines, too. Barbecues and certain pipe tobaccos (even though I would never smoke one) are some of the few exceptions for me, for some odd reason.

Cool moose shot, @Muledeer!

• Like 5
1 hour ago, AllThisTime said:

@Gentle Giant I love all the Aardman animation films, they are one of the few really 'lol' productions around, Maybe because they are wonky and silly and .. gentle in their humour.  You should look for "Creature Comforts" in your travels: I wanted to buy a copy at my reliable used DVD place and it was expensive because they said it was hard to come by. 

Agreed! :) 

I do like Creature Comforts (and some of their other videos where they also use recordings of actual people just talking, answering questions, as opposed to voice actors and/or scripts). I really want to find a copy of the Pirates! film they did (2 different titles, but apparently they are the same movie).

• Like 6
Custard Cream
3 minutes ago, daveb said:

Agreed! :) 

I do like Creature Comforts (and some of their other videos where they also use recordings of actual people just talking, answering questions, as opposed to voice actors and/or scripts). I really want to find a copy of the Pirates! film they did (2 different titles, but apparently they are the same movie).

I'm a huge fan too! Pirates was great fun!

• Like 7
13 hours ago, pickles mcgee said:

I did the hike yesterday; it was amazing!!  It was thrilling to finally be on one of the trails impacted by the fire and have a look around.  The face of Multnomah Falls is still mostly green; that's the part that you can see from the road.  Once we got back further on the trail, most of the trees were burned, but lots of them have new growth at the top, meaning they aren't dead.  How do trees do it?  I would definitely be dead if a fire had burned my outsides to a crisp.  I also wonder about the trees that are nearer to the epicenter of the fire, 10 miles east of where I was yesterday--could they possibly have new growth too?

There was a proliferation of wildflowers on a big stretch of the trail; I have never seen so many on a single hike in my life.  The fire must have cleared out brush and other debris, and opened up the ground for ferns and flowers.  There were thousands of larkspur, plus columbine, wild iris, bleeding hearts, wild peas and roses, and many, many that I don't know the names of.  Most were at their peak, but will be fading soon. 🌸🌹🌼🥀🌻

How exciting and I get to do it on July 21, 2019 if all goes well.  Too bad the wild flowers will be gone by then and the heat cranked up but I anticipate having loads of fun anyways.  

• Like 7
7 hours ago, AllThisTime said:

Here's a clip: 

That was so funny and sad at the same time.  I hadn't heard of Creature Comforts--very well done.

• Like 7
BobRossRules

All this talk of hiking is making me envious!  It's so great the the trail is open again, and awesome how the trees recovered.  I'm going to Goldbug Hot Spring tomorrow.  That's the same one I visited last week.  It's quite a drive but so worth it!

BPD_2482-M.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQn0IttyoEGnig7GllE2cx

• Like 9
BobRossRules

AND.....I'm going to San Francisco in a couple of weeks.  I'm going to meet up with a fellow AVENite.  Hiking is on the agenda, can you guess who?:lol:  

• Like 8
11 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

AND.....I'm going to San Francisco in a couple of weeks.  I'm going to meet up with a fellow AVENite.  Hiking is on the agenda, can you guess who?:lol:  

cdrdash?

• Like 6
39 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

cdrdash?

Yup!  

• Like 9

Great bison video, @faraday☘!

I love Creature Comforts, @AllThisTime! Haven't seen them in yonks. Thanks for the reminder.

That's an amazing photo, @Muledeer! While visually pleasing, the moose striding away from the viewer captures a sense of loneliness that's quite touching.

All this talk of hiking is making me tired.:P

• Like 7
Skycaptain

Creature comforts were used in this very popular series of TV adverts thirty years ago 

Hiking reminds me, I ought to be doing a little more of that! 

• Like 5