anyone past 50 on here?

Custard Cream
37 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

They’re still very popular where I live.

Much prefer a real book.

• Like 8

Ebooks make me think of Ewoks... (digital cooking equipment?) :P 

Looks like another too sunny, too warm day here. I turned my AC on yesterday afternoon, and had ice cream for dessert. On the plus side, the forecast says we should get some cooling into this week. On the minus side, then it's back to even hotter weather. I'm thinking about setting some stuff up downstairs as a Summer retreat from the heat. I'm wary about buying too much stuff though, in case I do put the house back on the market. Still undecided about that. For now I am collecting more info (mostly in the form of watching the housing listings to see if there would be any houses I would want to buy).

• Like 8
AllThisTime

re: ebooks, I was still working when they had their big launch, and everyone came into the library with the Christmas gift from their kids / grandkids.  The more comfortable people are with gadgets, the more likely they are to adopt things like ereaders, etc. rather than being led into the present kicking and screaming.  

Flashback: me standing in the kitchen, being renovated, and having to say yes, I "still have a land line" to the cute installer.  

Books, lucky for us, have not gone away, and many of us knew this in our hearts. There will always be an appreciation for quality.

So, here's a little something that popped up in my FB feed so I thought I'd share it.  I have to be careful  - this is comparable to an ear worm:  Elephants

• Like 8
4 minutes ago, AllThisTime said:

So, here's a little something that popped up in my FB feed so I thought I'd share it.  I have to be careful  - this is comparable to an ear worm:  Elephants

I remember that song (from the '60s, I think)--Baby Elephant Walk! I hope it's not now stuck in my head all day.... 😊

• Like 7

I recently saw a commercial on TV for Book-of-the-Month Club...and was surprised that concept has come around again. I remember it was popular decades ago--1980s, maybe? Seems a bit dated.

• Like 6

Nice hike today from 7:30 to 11:50 a.m. before the heat of the day arrived.   Beautiful views of the fog over Silicon Valley. Pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Fx8zw7PR9UEa1C239 .  Was nice that there were only three of us and I was not in charge.  Very pleasant non-stressful hike!  D. and J. my fellow hikers are in training for a backpacking trip so hauled their big packs up and down the trail.  I stuck with my regular day pack!

• Like 6
9 hours ago, ryn2 said:

They’re still very popular where I live.

Same here. I like 'real' books but most are a pain to carry around and read on the train during my morning commute which is where I do most of my reading nowadays. I'm already carrying breakfast, lunch, snacks, a phone, a laptop, personal items - thanks to hot desking and nowhere to keep anything at work. My Kindle is an absolute blessing - compact and easy to whip out even in a queue - and I read so many more books because of it.

• Like 9
9 hours ago, Skycaptain said:

I reckon I'll have my first courgettes by the end of the week, they're about 8cm long at the moment 

Really?  That seems unreasonably early to be harvesting a squash.   My summer squash seeds haven't even sprouted yet.

• Like 6
Skycaptain

@Muledeer, I'm surprised myself, they're normally a July to September crop here, especially as we haven't had great weather 

• Like 7
6 hours ago, daveb said:

Weren't those the little, fuzzy folk from Star Wars? :unsure:

• Like 6
10 hours ago, CustardCream said:

Much prefer a real book.

Same, although I read all my fanfic online so I’m not sure why ebooks annoy me.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, teatree said:

I recently saw a commercial on TV for Book-of-the-Month Club...and was surprised that concept has come around again. I remember it was popular decades ago--1980s, maybe? Seems a bit dated.

70’s!  My parents subscribed.

• Like 5
8 hours ago, AllThisTime said:

The more comfortable people are with gadgets, the more likely they are to adopt things like ereaders, etc. rather than being led into the present kicking and screaming.  

I'm not uncomfortable with gadgets. And who said anything about kicking and screaming? I just prefer paper books over ebooks. I spend more than enough time in front of a screen as it is. :P 

3 hours ago, Tja said:
9 hours ago, daveb said:

Weren't those the little, fuzzy folk from Star Wars? :unsure:

Yep. :P 

(it was a little joke - if an ebook is a digital book, an ewok sounds like a digital pan for stir-frying)

• Like 8
12 hours ago, Kazbe said:

thanks to hot desking and nowhere to keep anything at work.

I understood what you meant, but had never heard that term before! I am currently a Float at my medical job, so have to live out of my tote bag....

• Like 6

“Hot desking” is a new term to me, too, @teatree @Kazbe, but seems synonymous with “hoteling,” the term my company uses for workstations for people whose jobs frequently require them to work at different sites. 

• Like 7

"Hot desking" was already a thing when I last worked in an office. And that hasn't happened since 2006. So it isn't new in the UK.

• Like 5

Don’t know if it’s the same everywhere but people where I live/work use hoteling for workers who visit (occasional or regularly) from other work locations and hot-desking for offices where no one has a permanent seat (even the people who work there full-time, all the time).

Like @daveb said above, I’m very comfortable with gadgets.  I work in IT and my smartphone is my constant companion.  As I’ve thought about it more I do remember what put me off... I never got into ebooks at the start because (originally) they locked you into one seller and I didn’t like being forced to buy my books that way... and then I just never got in the habit.

• Like 6
1 hour ago, Semisweet said:

“Hot desking” is a new term to me, too, @teatree @Kazbe, but seems synonymous with “hoteling,” the term my company uses for workstations for people whose jobs frequently require them to work at different sites. 

1st thing I thought of when I saw this term was what I am missing as an asexual...because that term has to have a sexual meaning.

• Like 4
Gentle Giant

Oh I love “The Baby Elephant Walk”! Though the one in the clip isn’t Mancini’s version, it still sounds good.

I haven’t gotten into ereaders, though I can see they could be handy.

I was able to get to quite a few of the city wide garage/rummage sales last week. What I bought were Wallace and Gromit - The Curse of the Were-Rabbit DVD (enjoyed it and will look for more Wallace and Gromit DVDs), Ice Age DVD (love it, have one left in the series to get yet), cassette tape carrying case (because it’s more orderly than digging through boxes searching for cassettes), car windshield sun blocker, canvas tote bag with the words: hope, positivity, believe, inspiration, motivation, confidence printed on it. The tote was free. I wanted to have an extra one in my car for grocery shopping and I liked the positive message on it.

• Like 9
8 hours ago, teatree said:

I understood what you meant, but had never heard that term before! I am currently a Float at my medical job, so have to live out of my tote bag....

Not only is the term hot desking new to me, but so is the word "Float" which does not relate to ice cream or parades😎

• Like 6
Skycaptain

If you want to know what hot-desking means ask the sexcretary (any gender) :P

• Like 3
AllThisTime
3 hours ago, Muledeer said:

the word "Float" which does not relate to ice cream or parades😎

I much prefer these 2 over anything even remotely related to "work"!  We have "collaborative work spaces" and "co-working spaces" that sound much like this arrangement. I suppose now that most everything is backed up to the cloud etc.  only those of us from ancient times (or those who don't trust the cloud etc.) have real files.

• Like 7
5 hours ago, Muledeer said:

"Float" which does not relate to ice cream or parades😎

Or cash held by someone on behalf of an organisation?

• Like 6
BobRossRules

Hi al!!

I just finished epic National Park adventure.  I had a visitor and we went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park, and Craters of the Moon.  We also found this really neat off-the-beaten-path natural hot spring.  It was a 2.5 mile hike but the hot springs were amazing.  There were about 8 different pools.  You couldn't smell the sulfur and it was pretty secluded, and the views were amazing.  There were a few other people there though.  On the way out of Yellowstone, were got behind a herd fo about 30 bison!  My jeep was the lead vehicle and we followed them for about an hour.  We also visited some sand dunes too.  I'll post a video and some pics soon.  

• Like 9
33 minutes ago, Midland Tyke said:

I never heard that one. Maybe a UK term? :) 

17 minutes ago, faraday☘ said:

Hi al!!

I just finished epic National Park adventure.  I had a visitor and we went to Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Park, and Craters of the Moon.  We also found this really neat off-the-beaten-path natural hot spring.  It was a 2.5 mile hike but the hot springs were amazing.  There were about 8 different pools.  You couldn't smell the sulfur and it was pretty secluded, and the views were amazing.  There were a few other people there though.  On the way out of Yellowstone, were got behind a herd fo about 30 bison!  My jeep was the lead vehicle and we followed them for about an hour.  We also visited some sand dunes too.  I'll post a video and some pics soon.  

Cool!

I saw some people out walking a couple of alpacas with harnesses and small packs over on the east side of Portland yesterday, in an area with businesses and stuff near the river. I guess they were just "keeping Portland weird". :) 

• Like 5

Cash float refers to the amount of cash placed in registers at the beginning of a shift or workday. Float enables cashiers to make change for customers in the day or shift, before a sufficient number of cash sales accrue to make change from the day's sales.

What would that be called in the US, @daveb?

• Like 5
1 minute ago, Midland Tyke said:

Cash float refers to the amount of cash placed in registers at the beginning of a shift or workday. Float enables cashiers to make change for customers in the day or shift, before a sufficient number of cash sales accrue to make change from the day's sales.

Ah, I never worked that kind of job so I don't know. Maybe they use the same term here?

I'm always up for a root beer float though. :D

• Like 6
14 hours ago, Muledeer said:

Not only is the term hot desking new to me, but so is the word "Float" which does not relate to ice cream or parades😎

I have only ever heard float (in the job sense) used in hospital work.

• Like 7
9 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

Oh, true.  I was thinking of float in the sense of a type of work but we do use this term as well.

• Like 4
7 hours ago, Midland Tyke said:

I'm not sure we have a word for that over here.  Obviously, that is an essential practice for a retail business or anybody who collects cash.  If I go out issuing temporary food licenses, I will often times make (float ?) change from my own wallet until I have sufficient money for change from the license fees.  Can that word be used as a verb?  I'm going to start using it. 

• Like 5