anyone past 50 on here?

Not sure I know what I'm doing either. I'm new and thought I'd replied but can't see it. Anyway I'm 55...now what do I click? Oh silly. me, it's there already.

Welcome, CritterPDX and Ynot! Have some more :cake:

The Druids/Celts would've used Ogham, not Futhark, I believe. :)

Hi, Mr. LG - "daveb" is correct in his assessment of the use of the Elder Futhark, and you are right in connecting The Runes with the Norse/Germanic lifestyle. I am not a math whiz, myself. However, I have always found the global archetypes and 'pressure points', being so similar yet distant from one another; a lot of which was lectured upon by Joseph Campbell.

@"Mr. LG": What would be great would be if you could locate Campbell's lecture series on DVD. It was part of a college TV course, "Transformations of Myth Through Time". They are each 45 minutes in length, but worth every second spent. He discusses the kundalini, Buddhism, Hinduism, and many myths, including King Arthur's days, etc. You could get lost in all of the books he has penned, so choose carefully!! :lol:

As far as the 'pressure points', I was referring to the global placements; nothing to do with the human body.

My bad: I should have been clearer. I still haven't actually found the term I wanted to use regarding this subject; however, it does include Mt. Shasta, Denali, etc.

Thanks for the cake, AceOfCakes -- your cake must be the best!

And greetings to Ynot and CritterPDX. I'm a Portlandian also, but a transplanted one. How I love the Pacific Northwest!

@"Mr. LG" & "daveb": Eureka!! I found the name I have been searching for: 'Power Points'. I'm sure you are familiar with them, as being points/places on the globe where energies concentrate. A few are Mt. Shasta, Denali, the Pyramids in Egypt, Stonehenge, and the Bermuda Triangle.

Incidentally, Mr. LG, I meant to mention that your local library would probably have Joseph Campbell's DVD series; I know mine does. Btw, there is a correlation between the Earth's pressure points and those of the human body. Also I hope "ms. trish" will scroll down to see your post to them. I don't usually over-step someone's post; but that is why I made this a separate thread, and not an add-on to your posting.

Also, to encourage some possible things for us to discuss, please check out a post I made in the Philosophy Forum, Telepathy...Topic, on July 9. I included many of my interests, and hope both of you, and any others who wander onto our 'past 50' Topic, might have a similar interests. :)

Hi, Cathy - I didn't want to interrupt your flow on Bananarama, so I thought I'd contact you here. I hope things are going well for you, and you're making some friends; having some conversations! :)

Sorry runester, I wasn't ignoring you.

I got busy with one of those medical things that happen to most over 50, preparing for and having a colonoscopy. The preparation for it was the worst, the procedure itself was easy as the sedative totally put me out. Two polyps were removed. Now I wait for the results which more than likely are the polyps are benign. They routinely remove any they find when doing a colonoscopy as polyps are where cancer can start. Waiting for these results reminds me of waiting for the results of my yearly mammogram -- just a tiny niggly worry but mostly not worried. The weirdest thing about the colonoscopy was how much fun it was for me to connect with other people who have had one and hear their stories about it.

I don't know that I have a flow on Bananarama yet. The current topic was not grabbing my attention that much and I expect it has made many twists and turns since I last looked.

Cathy

Hi Mr. LG, thanks for the welcome, and right back at ya!

I, too, am the asexual in a mixed marriage. We've been together 18 years and are dear, dear friends, but might not stay together. Besides the sexual incompatability, we also have my husband's severe depression and anxiety that are tearing us apart. Plus I wonder if the two are linked--he could love me but feel unfulfilled. What I would want most is for him to be happy, even if that means not being together.

I guess you're referring to this topic.

Since you asked, I am a pretty thorough-going skeptic.

Thanks for checking out my posting. Being a skeptic does not necessarily indicate closed-mindedness, which encourages my ever-present up-beat persona. Perhaps we can reach a happy medium (heh-heh), in the 'fantasy area, you mentioned. That interests me, also. As do some of the Web comics (MTG, 'Planeswalkers', mostly). You? :)

Cathy, I had that procedure/exam a few years back. Prep = worst part. Totally under during (my first time being sedated. It was interesting, just went to sleep and then woke up later and it was all over. Apparently I was a little fuzzy on things for an hour or so after. No recollection of getting home, for example.). No problems. Good for another 10 years from then (so I'm due for another when I hit 60).

Thanks for checking out my posting. Being a skeptic does not necessarily indicate closed-mindedness, which encourages my ever-present up-beat persona. Perhaps we can reach a happy medium (heh-heh), in the 'fantasy area, you mentioned. That interests me, also. As do some of the Web comics (MTG, 'Planeswalkers', mostly). You? :)

You're quite right, but all too often that's the sort of reaction/response I get ("you're close-minded" or "you should open your mind" or "you must have no imagination"; seems to go along with the "you're losing out on the beauty and mystery". Um, no, there is plenty of beauty and mystery in the natural universe.)

I can definitely "suspend disbelief" and enjoy a good story, have a pretty good imagination and ability to play make-believe. I enjoy my daily funnies (newspaper strips, but I get them on-line these days, where I can pick the ones I want to look at. I don't know of any one newspaper that carries all of the ones I want, regardless of whether they carry others or not.) As for web-comics, there are a few I check out occasionally, but mostly niche ones and/or ones whose artwork I like. I don't know the ones you mentioned.

@"daveb": Thanks for your sharing response! :)

Btw, you might enjoy the artwork (alone) and the stories of MTG, which means: "Magic: The Gathering" and link to the "Planeswalkers Series". They are all enjoyable, but I especially care for the characters, "Tezzeret" and "Jace Beleren". The 'Planeswalkers' are a bit akin to kundalini yoga, in their story-line over-view. Enjoy!!

Btw, you might enjoy the artwork (alone) and the stories of MTG, which means: "Magic: The Gathering" and link to the "Planeswalkers Series". They are all enjoyable, but I especially care for the characters, "Tezzeret" and "Jace Beleren". The 'Planeswalkers' are a bit akin to kundalini yoga, in their story-line over-view. Enjoy!!

I'm a gamer and a nerd, I knew what MTG meant (even though I never played it) :lol: ). Do you have links to the webcomics? I might take a look and a link would help. :)

I'm a gamer and a nerd, I knew what MTG meant (even though I never played it) :lol: ). Do you have links to the webcomics? I might take a look and a link would help. :)

I haven't viewed it in some time, so it is buried in my 'history' - sorry, no link readily available. I merely Google: Magic..., then the link to Planeswalkers is on the Main Page. It works fairly fast.

Thanks, Mr.LG. We do keep at it. And while we are sorting things out, I've got woods and trails to explore, which keeps me happy. Anyone else out there a hiker?

Thanks, Mr.LG. We do keep at it. And while we are sorting things out, I've got woods and trails to explore, which keeps me happy. Anyone else out there a hiker?

Am I a hiker??? yes yes yes yes yes. I certainly am. Its my main passion! My Avatar is me on a hike with my trusty blue vest and my trusty marmot hat! I hike all over the SF Bay area and also travel on vacations to other great hiking spots.

Cathy

@"cdrdash" & "ms trish": I envy you your hitting the hiking trails. I have always avoided that activity, as I might 'break a nail' and I can't have that!!! ( :lol: please know I'm joking)

I am pretty much a home-body, but one of my favorite authors is "Tony Hillerman", who writes of the Native -American landscape; mostly 'Navajo country', much of Arizona, etc. Have either of you actually hiked that specific terrain? Or perhaps an actual trek into the Grand Canyon? I understand the heat and poor oxygen levels can be oppressive, though. Yes? I would really enjoy hearing about it. Thanks!!

I am pretty much a home-body, but one of my favorite authors is "Tony Hillerman", who writes of the Native -American landscape; mostly 'Navajo country', much of Arizona, etc. Have either of you actually hiked that specific terrain? Or perhaps an actual trek into the Grand Canyon? I understand the heat and poor oxygen levels can be oppressive, though. Yes? I would really enjoy hearing about it. Thanks!!

I took a vacation in 2005 to Arizona with my ex. We stayed in Flagstaff and hiked at the Grand Canyon and outside of Sedona (we also cross country skied at a place near Flagstaff). It was beautiful. In the Grand Canyon, we hiked the South Kaibob trail to the bottom of the canyon and back in one day. It was in early February so it was cool enough to do this. We left at 8 a.m. and got back at 8 p.m. We were so sore. The Sedona hike was easier and just gorgeous desert country.

I would love to return to Arizona and do more hiking but probably not until I go on some hikes in places I haven't visited before like Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming or Zion, Bryce, Arches parks in Utah!

Thank you for the post "cdrdash"!! Please let us know the positive results of your recent medical procedure. My best thoughts were with you, my friend.

Btw: I do envy you your travels.

I met a family while on a cruise, who had been to 'Bryce', and spoke of how lovely it was! I'm sure you would enjoy such a vacation, as it is one of the locales on your list.

Do tell: Have you ever been 'bungee jumping'? I have not. I don't cling onto life, however, I also don't put myself at risk, either.

Thank you for the post "cdrdash"!! Please let us know the positive results of your recent medical procedure. My best thoughts were with you, my friend.

Btw: I do envy you your travels.

I met a family while on a cruise, who had been to 'Bryce', and spoke of how lovely it was! I'm sure you would enjoy such a vacation, as it is one of the locales on your list.

Do tell: Have you ever been 'bungee jumping'? I have not. I don't cling onto life, however, I also don't put myself at risk, either.

No, I haven't been bungee jumping, but if the opportunity arose, I might. I have been rock climbing though!

I haven't heard yet about the results of my colonoscopy but thanks for asking.

Cathy

Hi, "cdrdash". Since you have been rock climbing, can bungee jumping be far behind? :D

Do you have an itinerary to follow for your hiking expeditions?

Hi, "Mr. LG". It is good to hear from you.

I must ask this Q: have you had any substantial rain since the completion of your roofing task? Please tell me all was secure!!

Hi, "cdrdash". Since you have been rock climbing, can bungee jumping be far behind? :D

On a day hike, I have a route planned usually. On hiking vacations, I do plan which hike I think I'll try but I leave wiggle room to change my mind depending on weather and trail conditions and how energetic I'm feel. I guess the answer is yes I have an itinerary but Its not written in stone!

On a day hike, I have a route planned usually. On hiking vacations, I do plan which hike I think I'll try but I leave wiggle room to change my mind depending on weather and trail conditions and how energetic I'm feel. I guess the answer is yes I have an itinerary but Its not written in stone!

:lol:

I like the occasional nature hike (actually more, nature stroll), especially if it's somewhere cool and shady and free of pests like people and mosquitos, but generally I'm more what the comedian Jim Gaffigan calls "indoorsy".

Do you have a 'hike-buddy'? It would sound like a good idea to me; just for safety's sake, if nothing else.

Do you have a 'hike-buddy'? It would sound like a good idea to me; just for safety's sake, if nothing else.

I don't hike alone (unless it's at a popular park with lots of other hikers around). I either find a hiking buddy or hike with an organized group. I prefer a buddy to an organized group so we can play with the itinerary as I described.. Organized groups almost always have a pretty set itinerary. I often lead hikes in the bay area for gay and lesbian Sierrans or go on their hikes. I would like to find a hike buddy to go on vacations with but it's hard to find someone with the time, the finances, similar hiking level, and who I like to be around.

Hi, Cathy. I hope you don't mind the change of 'address', but I feel comfortable with it, since you have used it previously, and it feels more personal. :)

You certainly have a definitive criteria for a 'hike-buddy'; and all necessarily so! Is there a newletter, of sorts, where you could post your interests, without giving up too much personal information that might bring out the user/stalker types? Something already geared toward hikers, would probably have 'one-up' on other venues; but I'm sure you are perfectly aware of this already. (preaching to the choir, again!)

"daveb's" post to you regarding "nature walks", sounds so peaceful. I am 'green' at heart. Can actually see/hear 'The Green Men' in a forest - but we won't go there, now! Also, hiking is quite different.

Cathy is fine runester.

I have come close to finding a vacation hike buddy. I think the best thing is to keep going on group hikes where i live and hope luck shines down on me and I meet someone who fits the bill. I have found two day hike buddies that way. In the meantime I will probably look into group hike vacations.

Although this year I am spending my vacation at my parent's cottage in Ontario, Canada. I'll go on very short hikes with them, paddle around on the lake in the sea kayak, swim, read lots, play scrabble with Mom, ride one of the bikes on the country roads and do lots of talking with Mom and Dad. I find myself visiting them more often now as they are 83 and 88 and I don't know how much time they have left on this earth so I want to drink them in while they are alive. They live in the Midwest and I live in California so I don't normally see them. We do email regularly ... Used to snail mail regularly before the Internet exploded!

Cathy is fine runester.

I have come close to finding a vacation hike buddy. I think the best thing is to keep going on group hikes where i live and hope luck shines down on me and I meet someone who fits the bill. I have found two day hike buddies that way. In the meantime I will probably look into group hike vacations.

Although this year I am spending my vacation at my parent's cottage in Ontario, Canada. I'll go on very short hikes with them, paddle around on the lake in the sea kayak, swim, read lots, play scrabble with Mom, ride one of the bikes on the country roads and do lots of talking with Mom and Dad. I find myself visiting them more often now as they are 83 and 88 and I don't know how much time they have left on this earth so I want to drink them in while they are alive. They live in the Midwest and I live in California so I don't normally see them. We do email regularly ... Used to snail mail regularly before the Internet exploded!

Hello, Cathy. Your 'hike-buddy' will come along for you. Like you say, this year's vacation time is well planned for you with your parents. An 83 year-old Mom to play 'scrabble' with - what a gift! Also, the ability to visit with your Dad, as well, is a wonderful addition to your life-style.

My own parents had also owned a cottage in Ontario, CDA, close to the 'Peace Bridge', which they winterized and moved there full-time, before they passed; giving me their home in NY State.

Let's do talk about this coincidence some more, tomorrow, please. Me being on EDT has my bed beckoning to me.

You have a great balance of the evening for yourself, Cathy. As usual, my positive thoughts are with you, and yours, now! :)

My own parents had also owned a cottage in Ontario, CDA, close to the 'Peace Bridge', which they winterized and moved there full-time, before they passed; giving me their home in NY State.

Let's do talk about this coincidence some more, tomorrow, please. Me being on EDT has my bed beckoning to me.

You have a great balance of the evening for yourself, Cathy. As usual, my positive thoughts are with you, and yours, now! :)

The cottage is at Dyers Bay on the Bruce Peninsula on the Georgian bay side. Lake Huron is on the other side. My parents wanted to winterize the cottage and be there full time but Canada wouldn't let them. They are only allowed to live there six months a year. So they live there May to October. The rest of the year is spent at their home in the upper peninsula of Michigan.

Cathy