anyone past 50 on here?

I shoveled a foot at 6:30 am for my dogs and it is still snowing.  We got upgraded from 8-12 to 9-16...just glad that it is really light snow (although the wind is going to make driveway shoveling that much more adventurous today).

@pickles mcgee I hope you feel better soon!  They are little petrie (sp) dishes, aren't they...

@Gentle Giant I am glad you made it home safe : )

• Like 7

We’re getting snow again this morning. Later on when it quits I will go out and shovel the driveway. Hopefully it won’t be too cold. I just about froze my fingers and thumbs off yesterday clearing the snow off my car. Took a very long time for my one thumb to thaw out. We’re also supposed to get snow tomorrow night into Tues. Ugh! I will have a long day tomorrow having to come in at 6 am, then a meeting I have to attend after my shift is over. I won’t want to have to come back and stay the night because we get too much snow. I wouldn’t mind the snow if it is light and not that much. It's when it gets to be difficult to get around that makes me anxious about it.

• Like 5
9 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

Hopefully it won’t be too cold. I just about froze my fingers and thumbs off yesterday clearing the snow off my car. Took a very long time for my one thumb to thaw out.

I have that same problem.  I usually layer a cheap thin pair of gloves under a larger pair of wool mittens.  That usually works if it isn't too cold.  WIll be challenging today with single digits...here's to hoping we have warm hands...

• Like 7

Welcome, @Sleepy Otter, :cake: , good to have you here, I hope the snow stays on the lower end of the predicted range in your area.

@pickles mcgee, feel better quickly!

We’ve mostly lucked out in my area in getting only (heavy) rain rather than snow, but the temperatures will plummet this afternoon, icing everything over. I have an event to attend that should end just about when it’s dropping to the freezing point, so I’m dearly hoping to beat the ice-up home.🤞

• Like 8

I found another pair of mittens that might be warmer to use. I have raynaud’s syndrome, so I’m extremely sensitve to the cold.

• Like 9
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Well it hasn't actually snowed here, but the frost is giving snow a run for it. The moon is getting ready for the red eclipse at 05.13 tomorrow morning and it looked enormous this evening at 4,30 when I was coming back home. I've a good mind to set my alarm clock...

3 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

I found another pair of mittens that might be warmer to use. I have raynaud’s syndrome, so I’m extremely sensitve to the cold.

Same!  This time I wore my warmest mittens (gloves are a guaranteed fail) and warm layers on the rest of me and my hands did fine... but some of my toes still struggled despite two pairs of socks and wool fleece boots.  It’s 10F/-12C and I was out for 2.75 hours shoveling and snowblowing and brushing the car.

I like it better when winter paces itself and snows a reasonable amount at a time.

• Like 8

I don't think I'll be up for the red moon. I have seen them before, though, and they can be spectacular. 

Bucking the snow trend here in S E England too ( a five minute flurry a couple of days ago ) but I know it's getting harsher in the local countryside as in the last two days I've had a jay, a thrush and a fox in the garden and a buzzard overhead.  @Gentle Giant I can't imagine having so much snow that  stay-over arrangements are automatically in place. That could be fun (?) And the opposite down under for Autumn Sunrise - sweltering temperatures in parts. I read that the minimum overnight temperature in one locality was above 35 C. That's hot for twelve noon let alone nighttime.  I  hope you are okay @Autumn Sunrise

I hope you get better, @pickles mcgee soon too. Not nice feeling ill.

• Like 9

It's been really cold here (-7 F to 8 F, -22C to -13C) in northern Wisconsin, but we haven't had any snow. We have had a lot of ice, and we just got another weather advisory for extremely unsafe driving conditions tonight due to ice. Thankfully, our shopping was done yesterday and nobody should need to go out. We do have some snow predicted for tomorrow afternoon, but it's only 3 to 6 inches.

• Like 9
28 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

Same!  This time I wore my warmest mittens (gloves are a guaranteed fail) and warm layers on the rest of me and my hands did fine... but some of my toes still struggled despite two pairs of socks and wool fleece boots.  It’s 10F/-12C and I was out for 2.75 hours shoveling and snowblowing and brushing the car.

I like it better when winter paces itself and snows a reasonable amount at a time.

7 below F here overnight. We were at the northern edge of the storm so we only got 2" of snow.

• Like 6

Thank you @Semisweet, although we are already above what they had predicted for us.  Doesn't bother me as I like snow, but the wind is going to make shoveling a little challenging.  But I would rather have snow than ice, so I hope you make it home before that comes your way.  You also, @Spotastic.  Hopefully the ice is minimal all around.

• Like 7
35 minutes ago, will123 said:

7 below F here overnight. We were at the northern edge of the storm so we only got 2" of snow.

Yeah, the lake keeps us warmer. We’re going for 0F/-18C overnight but it probably won’t get much below that.

• Like 5

I just came in from shovelling. I did the driveway and also the deck in back. The snow is light and fluffy. It didn’t seem as cold as yesterday, but this time my toes were froze. I had two pairs of socks on too! Now I’ve got a heated rice bag on them to warm them up.

• Like 6

@daveb, @faraday☘, and anyone else.

Iceland 🇮🇸 in winter is even more spectacular than summer, and not much colder. We've just spent two days going where the coach tours don't, and it's stunning 

• Like 9
14 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

@daveb, @faraday☘, and anyone else.

Iceland 🇮🇸 in winter is even more spectacular than summer, and not much colder. We've just spent two days going where the coach tours don't, and it's stunning 

Wish I was there! :) 

Here we are getting good rain, with temps above freezing, so no ice.

• Like 6
51 minutes ago, Gentle Giant said:

Now I’ve got a heated rice bag on them to warm them up.

It was a bad toe day!  Mine went in the shower.

• Like 7
37 minutes ago, ryn2 said:

It was a bad toe day!  Mine went in the shower.

I hope that was to warm them up, and not they fell off! :P

• Like 6
On 1/14/2019 at 6:52 AM, Techie said:

Well I was browsing Amazon the other day and what should pop up but a black ring with a purple band in the center.

That ring looks cool, Techie--I meant to comment on it before.

7 hours ago, Sleepy Otter said:

They are little petrie (sp) dishes, aren't they...

That they are!  Perfect description.  (I think it's petri.)

6 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

I have raynaud’s syndrome, so I’m extremely sensitve to the cold.

Me too!  Looks like there's a few of us.

3 hours ago, Tunhope said:

I don't think I'll be up for the red moon.

It's at a nice, reasonable time for us here in Portland (from 8:41-9:43 pm), but as @daveb mentioned, it's raining cats and dogs, so I doubt we'll be able to see it.

Thanks for all the well wishes, friends--I'm feeling much better today.

• Like 8
1 hour ago, Skycaptain said:

Sounds fantastic!  More details, please.

• Like 6
29 minutes ago, Skycaptain said:

I hope that was to warm them up, and not they fell off! :P

LOL, yes, to warm them up.  If they fell off they would be less trouble.

• Like 7
7 hours ago, Gentle Giant said:

I have raynaud’s syndrome, so I’m extremely sensitve to the cold.

Me three, though my flare-ups seem to come and go in unpredictable fashion.

As for our predicted rapid freeze, it turned out to follow a couple of post-rainstorm hours of sunshine, so luckily much of the standing water had a chance to evaporate. Whew! 

@Skycaptain, good to hear you’re enjoying Iceland. :)

• Like 7
14 minutes ago, nspwb said:

I didn't realise how busy this thread was, sorry to those I have not replied to. 

You try that and you'll never see the other threads ;)

• Like 8

I think Will meant that if you try to keep up and respond to everyone here you won't have time for other threads. This thread can move a pretty quick pace at times. :) 

• Like 8

When I get home and can get onto my desktop I will upload pictures 

If love the natural world this has been totally overwhelming 

• Like 8
17 minutes ago, daveb said:

I think Will meant that if you try to keep up and respond to everyone here you won't have time for other threads. This thread can move a pretty quick pace at times. :) 

Exactly!

• Like 6

Can't wait for the photos, @Skycaptain!

I have to get up at 3 am, to drive to a job. It'll be below zero, with the wind chill. I'm cold now just thinking about it.frozen-in-ice-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 8
2 hours ago, Semisweet said:

As for our predicted rapid freeze, it turned out to follow a couple of post-rainstorm hours of sunshine, so luckily much of the standing water had a chance to evaporate.

Oooh, that was very nice of it!

• Like 5
Guest Jetsun Milarepa

Hi all,

That was an experience! The sky has still a little orange tinge although the cloud cover is blocking the moon now. Looked like a big blood orange! 

Wow @Tja that's an early rise. Did you see any of the eclipse? Take care in these icy conditions. 

Glad the standing water evaporated @Semisweet.

Were the waterfalls all frozen @Skycaptain? There was a solid frozen one on the news today but that one was in China.

All going to make for an interesting journey today. Have a good one!